Bubblehead

Cutting leather.

Hey all, newb question of the day. I’m going to be cutting some 8/9 oz leather for some projects with a round knife. Do I need to wet the leather prior to cutting?

Edited by Bubblehead
Misspelling

Not necessarily, but I did take a class one time where the teacher said he cuts all leather wet. Easier to cut and easier on the blade.

But, I never got into the habit of thinking to do it?

Thanks bikermutt. Have a buddy from Ville Platte. Trying to make some tank bibs for my Indian.

Dampening does make your leather softer. It also makes it easier to make unwanted impressions on the leather while your handling it. The Tandy manager we originally took classes from, was a great proponent of cutting damp leather. I have done it both ways. Since I learned to sharpen my tools well I like dry best.     

Edited by bullmoosepaddles
spelling

3 hours ago, bullmoosepaddles said:

Dampening does make your leather softer. It also makes it easier to make unwanted impressions on the leather while your handling it. The Tandy manager we originally took classes from, was a great proponent of cutting damp leather. I have done it both ways. Since I learned to sharpen my tools well I like dry best.     

Thanks for the reply. I cut out a shape on dry leather, geez. I need patience and practice.

11 hours ago, Bubblehead said:

Thanks for the reply. I cut out a shape on dry leather, geez. I need patience and practice.

Like bikermutt07  above always explains to the new folks. Sharpening skills is one of the first, best things you can learn. They go so far into the craft with you. Sharp tools make everything going forward easier, less frustration and more fun. Be patient, enjoy the creative process. Practice, improve and do the same project again in a year. You will be amazed at your progress. Have fun. 

2 hours ago, bullmoosepaddles said:

Like bikermutt07  above always explains to the new folks. Sharpening skills is one of the first, best things you can learn. They go so far into the craft with you. Sharp tools make everything going forward easier, less frustration and more fun. Be patient, enjoy the creative process. Practice, improve and do the same project again in a year. You will be amazed at your progress. Have fun. 

Right on! None of us new starting out that we would have to become a master of sharpening. And we all get to where we have a process that works for us. 

I finally found a source for PSA backed lapping film.  That has made a significant impact on my sharpening. I got it, and many other things form taylortools. They have some nice products on the cheap. Especially, if you are into woodworking or metal works.

Bikermutt, I looked for the lapping film at Taylor Tools, not there, it's at Taylor Toolworks, www.taytools.com. Can't wait to get some film! What grit do you recommend?

Jeff

Edited by alpha2

16 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Bikermutt, I looked for the lapping film at Taylor Tools, not there, it's at Taylor Toolworks, www.taytools.com. Can't wait to get some film! What grit do you recommend?

Jeff

Seems like I am always forgetting the exact name. He has a big presence on eBay which is where I usually order from. He has all kinds of straight edges and precision rulers and such. At steep discounts. Most are starrett or PEC seconds.

I bought a set from 300 grit up to 8000 I think (and 8000 maybe a little extreme). Then I mounted them all on 2cm 12x12 quartz squares. I have access to these from drops in our showroom. I probably have 8 or 9 at home and another 20 or so on a pallet at work.

Good info, thanks!

Jeff