turbotexas

Servo motor quit? Why?

Recommended Posts

Spent the morning setting this up on my Union Lockstitch, and 5 minutes into using it it starts making this noise, and then quit spinning? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just replaced the bushing things? Electrical stuff? And still no go? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this a new servo or a used one? Are you getting a funny / burned smell from the motor. If so, unplug it for safety and possible fire hazard reasons. If it is a new one, you should contact the seller. If it is a used one, you are probably going too have to replace it.

kgg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to tell but is the spindle turning while the pulley remains stationary? If so it could have a few different causes. All the sewing motors I've worked on have a key which keeps the pulley and spindle locked together. First thing would be to check that's fully engaged into the keyway slot in the bore of the pulley. They key will either be a small square-section rod under an inch long or a semi-circular piece about 3/4" across.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Video was a bit short (in both length and detail) but at the end like Matt said it sounded like the motor was still spinning with no load.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First servo motor (500 watt)  I bought lasted a month. It just would not run, have no idea what happened. The next one was a Consew 750 watt unit, it is bigger and has worked flawlessly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for lack of details! This is a Family Brand... I believe it’s a 1/2 HP that I bought 5 or so years ago for a 31-15! It’s only got maybe two pair of chaps on it? Maybe an hour of sewing? 

The spindle and the shaft have both quit spinning, thenbthat noise was never there? 

This may be “self inflicted” as I tied the clutch activation arm all the way down, to keep the motor at a constant speed, and was hoping to use the clutch that’s built into the Union Lockstitch! 

Edited by turbotexas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, DSloop said:

First servo motor (500 watt)  I bought lasted a month. It just would not run, have no idea what happened. The next one was a Consew 750 watt unit, it is bigger and has worked flawlessly.

I ordered a Consew from Amazon! I think it’s the 3/4 HP 7500 one? It was supposed to arrive today, but I left for work at 4:00 and it still wasn’t there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got me curious. As servos don't have a clutch I assume you meant the actuating arm that goes to the foot pedal, the idea being that when you turned it on it just went to max speed (or whatever you set as max speed) straight away. If you take the belt off what happens to the motor? Does it run?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, dikman said:

Got me curious. As servos don't have a clutch I assume you meant the actuating arm that goes to the foot pedal, the idea being that when you turned it on it just went to max speed (or whatever you set as max speed) straight away. If you take the belt off what happens to the motor? Does it run?

I’ll have to investigate this when I get home! I drive a truck for a living, and I had to leave town for a few days! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Work has a habit of getting in the way of the important things!;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dikman said:

Work has a habit of getting in the way of the important things!;)

Right!?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds OK actually.  Is the motor shaft spinning on the pulley?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may have to make a longer video, especially showing your transmission to the machine head, that sounds interesting.

I understand your idea of speed control, then using some existing pulley transmission system.

Although some more views or photos of all this is really required. It can sure help me understand better, your reason the servo is not slow enough or the control is not, and requiring a constant other setting.

As this control part is something many of us have had to address in several ways. 

 

Good day

Floyd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My servo motor went out a while back. Turned out the circuit board burned out, a common problem with servo motors. Replaced the board and running great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

It sounds OK actually.  Is the motor shaft spinning on the pulley?

 

 

Hi Greg, no the shaft itself is not spinning? 

8 hours ago, brmax said:

You may have to make a longer video, especially showing your transmission to the machine head, that sounds interesting.

I understand your idea of speed control, then using some existing pulley transmission system.

Although some more views or photos of all this is really required. It can sure help me understand better, your reason the servo is not slow enough or the control is not, and requiring a constant other setting.

As this control part is something many of us have had to address in several ways. 

 

Good day

Floyd

Yes, I will spend more time with this, when I get back home... im out working for a spell! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd. It sounded like the motor was spinning in your vid. If that's the case then I'd say the electronics are shot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 9:48 PM, dikman said:

Odd. It sounded like the motor was spinning in your vid. If that's the case then I'd say the electronics are shot?

Yes, and when it was working, it never made that much noise! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been listening to it again (and again, and again....). It looks like a brush motor (I think I see one of the brush mounts in front?) so I wonder if the brush(es) are worn out or broken.  It certainly sounds like something is spinning, though. Quite perplexing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The noises it makes suggest it IS spinning when you activate the pedal....if the shaft is not free-spinning inside the pulley (broken/missing key) or loose set screw/nut/other fastener, then its possible the output shaft itself could be broken at a point past the brushes. Stranger things have happened.

5 hours ago, dikman said:

It looks like a brush motor (I think I see one of the brush mounts in front?)

These old-school brush motors with a max-rpm limit dial have been used in some form on sewing machines since at least the 70's....one example is seen here on the old White model 970 from way back.

 

-DC

White_971_1978.jpeg

White_970_dial_speed.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dikman said:

I've been listening to it again (and again, and again....). It looks like a brush motor (I think I see one of the brush mounts in front?) so I wonder if the brush(es) are worn out or broken.  It certainly sounds like something is spinning, though. Quite perplexing.

I replaced the brushes, to no avail! Just seemed quieter, but that could be because it had time to cool off? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happens if you turn the shaft by hand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dikman said:

What happens if you turn the shaft by hand?

I haven’t been home all week, and I may be another few weeks befor I can get back! I do heavy haul trucking, and I fell into some windmill work...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess we'll have to wait for the next installment.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now