alpha2

Paid orders, buyer disappears - Etsy

I've had this happen to me twice now. Buyer orders item, needs to provide info on style/size, never answers e-mails/convos. Both times, it was a Western Hatband, requiring hat circumference and tooling style choice. I finally refunded the first one. This one I have sent messages to the buyer, (already paid!), requesting the info so I can get started on the hatband. No replies, no complaints that it hasn't been shipped, nuthin'. The buyer this time, has been a member of Etsy since 2016, but has no favorite shops, no favorites on items, no purchases. Nothing except this order since 2016. Weird. I've been sitting back and waiting to see if they ever even show that they ordered something that never arrived. I don't like this tack, since it shows as way overdue on my delivery time. I'd suspect a scam, except that I've been paid!!!

Anyone else seen this? 

Jeff

This is a bummer experience!

I am not on Etsy- a friend who does quilting crafts is. She has experienced it as well. She documented all attempts to contact seller and no response- refunded the sale and alerted Etsy as well. 

About 6 months after- she was contacted by a bank regarding the transaction- seems folks can "test" stolen card numbers by buying something. They are not interested in the product- they just want to see the transaction go through so they know it is a good card.

Maybe the same- maybe not... no way to know. Its just ones and zeros blipping by... not a human standing at a counter (Who could be using a stolen card too).

Hope this helps- keep records of communication attempts!

Yep, I've experienced it when I use to offer stuff that could be customized. I would put it right in the listing that if they did not include the needed info within 24 hours their order would be refunded and canceled. After dealing with over and over for a few months I no longer sell anything customizable on Etsy. Then I don't have to worry about stock being tied up.

I would suggest making a model of your hatband with an adjustable buckle so you can just say it will fit a hat with a size xx to xx. Then do a separate listing for each tooling design.

Silver Forge, that's what I was thinking, but that is usually for far less money. $35 a pop to test card numbers would get expensive in a hurry!

Mark, that's a thought, I might try that. It has been the hatband each time.

Thanks,

Jeff

cutesy is a strange place.  I've heard horror stories in their forums about people so terrified at the thought of a "negative review" or "bad feedback" that they basically let the "buyer" keep an item, send 'em a refund, and all  but apologize for the "buyer" being put out :rofl:

I got an email late last night, guy wants to know if this item is ready to send out or custom as "I’m looking for something now not in 3-4 weeks."  I double checked the listing, which - sure enough - clearly says ships in 3-4 weeks.  Right next to the pic of the goods.

But that wasnt' the thing so much .. guy coulda missed it.  But his "please advise" is a bit militaristic for me (only missing the ASAP), so I won't be replying.  At all.  Some people ... :rolleyes2:

Well, technically, you've already "advised", right there in the listing. Heck, that even beats "asap"!

Jeff

The phrase "please advise" in my experience is typically used by scammers but that said I have used the phrase when peeved off at some thing / issue to get a point across. One could say the phrase maybe a little way of being passive aggressive before I get nasty.

kgg

Yep. I have  a hard time answering questions that are already clearly explained. Luckily my business partner is willing to answer these questions as it is probably 30% of our paying base. An example listing:

Title: Pair of Black Leather Motorcycle Lever Covers with XXXX.....

Description: Blah blah, blah......

Included with purchase:

1) Pair of leather lever covers (2 covers)

2) Leather Lace and bead set

3) Installation Instructions

#1 question we get every single day?

"Is this for one cover or the set?"

Probably thinking back to when they bought a "Pair of pants", and only got one item. Life is hard for some.

I guess the "thing" at cutesy if the seller doesn't agree to make it SOONER is to just buy the listing and leave a 'note' asking to get it sooner?@!#  

Causes me to refund all money and cancel order, much like eating too much too fast cause a PUKE :rofl:

Nice to see I'm not alone.  I've had it happen once.  I tried contacting them every way I could (through Etsy and their provided email) multiple times.   I never refunded the money.  I figured that would at least get them to reply back.  Nothing.  It's like they fell off the face of the earth right after they ordered. 

Now I put a warning at the top of my listing stating that not telling me the size they need will result in delays in shipping their order.

Yikes.  The guy writes and asks can he get it sooner, or did I really mean 3-4 weeks.  And I say nope, not kiddin.

So teh guy BUYS IT ANYWAY, and leaves a note saying he needs it sooner.

So I refund the purchase price in full, cancel the order, tell him maybe help him another day.

Now get message, he didn't want to cancel, just was asking for sooner, and still wants the holster if it's available.

WTH?@!  Now I feel like if I sell him one, I gotta charge for the time for all the messages I gotta endure!

SO THEN.... if you boys ('n' gals) are making pocket holsters for the Bond Arms Bullpup 9mm, theys a feller on cutesy whats a'wantin' one ...

EDIT:  OH yeah -- he's willin' ta spend $100 fer it, and he likes the pic of it on my cutesy thingie, which you are welcome to use if you like.

Edited by JLSleather

6 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Yikes.  The guy writes and asks can he get it sooner, or did I really mean 3-4 weeks.  And I say nope, not kiddin.

So teh guy BUYS IT ANYWAY, and leaves a note saying he needs it sooner.

So I refund the purchase price in full, cancel the order, tell him maybe help him another day.

Now get message, he didn't want to cancel, just was asking for sooner, and still wants the holster if it's available.

WTH?@!  Now I feel like if I sell him one, I gotta charge for the time for all the messages I gotta endure!

SO THEN.... if you boys ('n' gals) are making pocket holsters for the Bond Arms Bullpup 9mm, theys a feller on cutesy whats a'wantin' one ...

EDIT:  OH yeah -- he's willin' ta spend $100 fer it, and he likes the pic of it on my cutesy thingie, which you are welcome to use if you like.

Haha..I should contact him and tell him I can make it for him but since I've never made one before it will take 8 weeks and won't be as good.  I don't think these people read and understand that these things are being made to order and that what I have in stock is the leather to make it.

I'd refund that dude, move on and never look back.

Edited by Mark842

On 4/10/2019 at 11:32 AM, rodneywt1180b said:

Nice to see I'm not alone.  I've had it happen once.  I tried contacting them every way I could (through Etsy and their provided email) multiple times.   I never refunded the money.  I figured that would at least get them to reply back.  Nothing.  It's like they fell off the face of the earth right after they ordered. 

Now I put a warning at the top of my listing stating that not telling me the size they need will result in delays in shipping their order.

That's where I am on this one. I can wait...it sure is mysterious, though.

I have to assume that the "buyer" really loves my work and wants to make a donation. Thanks, Pal!!!

Jeff

16 hours ago, Mark842 said:

I should contact him and tell him I can make it for him but since I've never made one before it will take 8 weeks and won't be as good

He won't believe you anyway ;)

On 4/13/2019 at 10:21 AM, JLSleather said:

If you have spare time, make one for inventory, then message him when you are done in 6 weeks, let him know you have one you can send him in 1 week, but that it will be a rush order so extra charge.  Maybe he'll be so excited that he convinced you to make him one faster he'll pay the extra $$.  It's like a win win sit-chiation then.   :spoton:

YinTx

;)

I think it's getting worse.  Might have to have the web guy add a line, where you gotta agree that you've read the TIME LINE on delivery before it will let you order.  Had TWO of them recently, ordered a holster by clicking right next to the "you git it in 6 weeks" button, call me following week ask where's my holster :o

Update by the OP...FINALLY heard from the customer. I explained that I hadn't heard from her in quite some time, no answers to the questions about sizing, tooling. I get a convo back with the size, but no info on tooling. So, I replied again, nothing heard in 4 days. Finally called the number included in her latest response. Voicemail. Days go by... Nada. I do believe it's refund time. 

Get this, it's for her 94 year old mother. She doesn't realize there's a clock ticking here? I did once have a friend order a sheath for his dad, who passed away after I shipped it. (Dad, not the friend.)

Jeff

Left a number, then doesn't answer it (I DON"T KNOW WHO THAT IS!) :rofl:

What's yer shop?  Glad to refer a few when the walleye are biting ;)

On 4/24/2019 at 6:55 AM, JLSleather said:

Left a number, then doesn't answer it (I DON"T KNOW WHO THAT IS!) :rofl:

What's yer shop?  Glad to refer a few when the walleye are biting ;)

Alpha2leatherworks. Thanks, Jeff

Text don't call, then you have a trace..with time stamp.

I never dealt with Etsy, always took orders via e-mail link on my website. When payment was received the order went into the production schedule. When completed I sent an e-mail notification and mailed out the package.

Shipped an order to a customer in Houston, TX. Package was returned "addressee unknown". Sent another e-mail, never heard from the customer again. Held the order for a year, then sold it.

Sent out an order to a customer, then was contacted by his widow. Poor guy passed away after placing and paying for the order. I took it back and refunded sale price.

Sent out an order to a customer with an apartment address. Thirty days later she had not received her order, so I made up another one and sent it to her business address. Shortly after she contacted me, her original (opened) package had been found in the bushes outside the apartment house. Apparently the mail thief wasn't interested in a new holster.

Received a bank check in payment for an order, including a delivery address. Completed the order, sent the package to that address. Customer contacted me couple weeks later, no package. Sent him the mailing information, he went ballistic; the address provided by his bank was his FORMER ADDRESS, over a year old. Fortunately the package came back to me and I was able to send it to the new address.

Used PayPal for on-line payments for quite a few years. PayPal requires delivery to the registered address, and quite a few of those are out of date. Thus a fraud protection policy can result in lost shipments.

Then there was the customer in Israel, ordered a holster with request for no identifying markings, mailed to a PO Box address (no name), paid for the order with US currency in an envelope with no return address.

I learned about taking foreign checks or money orders when a Canadian customer sent me a check (denominated in US dollars) written on his Canadian bank. Deposited the check in my business account, then saw the next bank statement showing a $70 fee for processing a foreign check. The check was for $85.00 US.

Several European customers were irate when they received their deliveries and found out that their governments expected them to pay the import duties and/or Value Added Taxes.

Several celebrity customers insisted on having purchases sent to an agent's or employee's address, apparently didn't want me to know where they lived.

Some days in the business were a little more interesting than other days.

If you are at it long enough, these things will happen.  I've had people come to pick up repairs that were parked at our shop for years.  The walk in like nothing happened after we had long given up on them.  And expect us to have their machine ready.

Another woman came in and said that she put a deposit down on a machine over a year ago and wanted us to give her money back.  Her explanation was that she was just coming out jail and needed to get her life back straight and that she wanted the machine but really wanted the money back as she could really use it.  I feel she almost walked right out jail to our shop because she knew we had her money like we were a bank.  Yes, we gave her money back in full for sure.

Another one, and I mean with with respect, but it's just a fact that this guy on the other end of the phone sounded like he had one foot in the grave.  He sent a deposit, and within a week or two we did everything we could to contact him.  We had his phone and fax number (this was a while back) and the were eventually disconnected.  We never did hear back from that guy.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing
info@keysew.com

OP update...

Finally heard from the client. Her brother hooked her up with a hatband, so she wanted to cancel the order. I gave her the refund, gladly. She actually said my service was "stellar", and she'd keep me in mind in the future. I'm thinking of changing my address and email.

Jeff