coma44

Question on a Juki 555

I have found this Juki 555 in craigs list not to to far from me, seems like a good price. But is this enough machine for holster making?

https://providence.craigslist.org/tls/d/portsmouth-juki-industrial-sewing/6859504639.html

Thanks for any input.

Fave

Simply, the answer is no. This machine is meant for lighter materials tailored towards the garment sector operating at much higher speeds. You would need something a lot heavier, preferably with a servo motor for speed control . Think of the Juki 441 type/style machines like the Cobra, Cowboy and a multitude of clones.

kgg

thanks glad I asked!

4 hours ago, coma44 said:

I have found this Juki 555 in craigs list not to to far from me, seems like a good price. But is this enough machine for holster making?

https://providence.craigslist.org/tls/d/portsmouth-juki-industrial-sewing/6859504639.html

Thanks for any input.

Fave

This is what I use to sew holsters that can hold up to rigorous use. I use #277 bonded thread with a #25 needle for anything over 1/4 inch thick. Each stitch has about 44 pounds breaking strength. Anything less is asking for trouble, or is not meant for carrying outside of a pocket.

4 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

This is what I use to sew holsters that can hold up to rigorous use. I use #277 bonded thread with a #25 needle for anything over 1/4 inch thick. Each stitch has about 44 pounds breaking strength. Anything less is asking for trouble, or is not meant for carrying outside of a pocket.

Thanks, that one looks great. But think I will work up to that by starting out with a used machine first. I know "Buy once, cry once" but I am not really ready for that jump yet.

An alternative to being able to sew thick leather other then hand stitching that maybe viable would be a pull lever type machine like the Cowboy Outlaw or the Tippmann Boss.

kgg

2 hours ago, coma44 said:

Thanks, that one looks great. But think I will work up to that by starting out with a used machine first. I know "Buy once, cry once" but I am not really ready for that jump yet.

That's reasonable.

Bear in mind that none of the common industrial sewing machines are holster machines. They are usually either garment or upholstery machines. Garment machines don't feed leather well and don't handle heavier weights of thread. Upholstery machines usually have triple feed walking feet and can handle #138 thread (22 pounds test).

Real leather sewing machines, those that can sew holsters, start at #138 thread and go up. Used ones can often be found in our Marketplace section.

I have a Juki 555 and use it to sew light horse blankets.It is not for leather though I have sewed very light leather on it.