Danne

Looping/bartacking watch straps.

This is probably a long shot, since I have found questions like this before but not a satisfying answer.

I prefer to stitch in my buckle with a double loop on each side. I understand I can use other methods like stitching in the keeper (Downside to this I can't crease the edge after stitching, because I have to paint before stitching for a consistent result.

I also could stitch across the strap at the edge. I don't think it looks good.

What I've tried without a result I like.

1. end with both threads under the lining right next to the keeper, and finish with a knot. This doesn't work for two reasons (The lining is quite thin and usually soft, which result in the thread knot visible through) And second thing is the edge, I wan't a tight fit of my lining around the keeper. If I push my needle through I get a gap in the edge.

2. Finish the loop with a knot in the hole. (Not enough space, and it looks awful.)

3. Finish with some glue on both threads and twist the thread before tension. 

Solution 3 is the best so far. But I feel like I don't really have control over if I get the adhesion I need. I've tried both water based white glue, solvent based glue, super glue. Super glue seems like the most reliable glue here, BUT not so clean, I get glue on the lining, even if it's very little..

I know master craftsmen have some good technique for this, I also know a lot of strapmakers have problem with this from the complaints around watch forums.

PLEASE READ everything here before you answer. Thanks in advance.

To mod: Why "Pending approval!" ?

loop.jpg

5 minutes ago, Danne said:

To mod: Why "Pending approval!" ?

Because you posted in Help Wanted, which non-members of these forums may post in.  Help Wanted is generally for hiring help, or alternately, people wanting work post here too.  Then almost all replies to the post also require approval.

Moved your post to How Do I Do That.

Tom

Danne, I think option 3 is the way to go.  Even with the limitation you mentioned.  Your work is very fine and any knot is going to be visible given the thin lining.  It hides nothing.  The good thing is that it isn't a super high stress application, especially if the owner puts the strap on correctly and doesn't tug in all sorts of directions.

3 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Danne, I think option 3 is the way to go.  Even with the limitation you mentioned.  Your work is very fine and any knot is going to be visible given the thin lining.  It hides nothing.  The good thing is that it isn't a super high stress application, especially if the owner puts the strap on correctly and doesn't tug in all sorts of directions.

Yes, It's probably the only good solution here, I have thought a lot about this.. Maybe I should make a test piece with a lot of loops with glue and see how they hold up when I try to force the thread apart. Thank you for your input.

What is the thread made of?

I would pass the thread under the keeper that has the lining over it it, with no knot, glued in place.  Alternative: same thing, but exiting through buckle tongue slot, then putting a drop if ink to obscure the end of the thread, and push back in with a pin tip.

Or, use super glue as in solution 3 but color match it to the lining.

Edited by johnv474

54 minutes ago, johnv474 said:

What is the thread made of?

I would pass the thread under the keeper that has the lining over it it, with no knot, glued in place.  Alternative: same thing, but exiting through buckle tongue slot, then putting a drop if ink to obscure the end of the thread, and push back in with a pin tip.

Or, use super glue as in solution 3 but color match it to the lining.

Linen thread.

Yes, hide it under the lining beside the keeper is a good solution. But it's far from easy to do with a good result. It's a tight space for four thread ends in total, and when I go through with the needle it distorts lining leather. Also not easy to glue it in place afterward.

Going out at the buckle slot is not a working solution, because I use reinforcement (On some straps the whole length, but always at the buckle and where the strap attaches to the lugs. It depends on the type of leather I use, and the weight and construction.)

I think super glue (or solvent-based leather glue) is the solution I'm going to use right now. A half knot and a little bit of glue before I pull it together, that way the glue is hidden inside the hole. From the looks on other straps (Some straps are very thick and the lining is glued very tight around keeper), I can't see how they used another solution.

Thank you for your answer :)

Edited by Danne