Just finished a growler carrier tonight for a friend.  W&C 8 oz skirting, back was stitched with Havana Brown Tiger thread and the rest stitched with 207 thread, finished with Tan Kote followed by wax.  Edges finished with Giardini Black Dense Edge Paint.

Gary

AD15C2FA-280C-4817-9F9E-EE4BAE8B00E6.jpeg

D9D0E002-FE55-40E0-AED1-4F9CF1B2C76B.jpeg

D93A159B-DB99-4221-8699-97ABD8BF9B61.jpeg

7F1E97E3-7DB2-4F48-BC7A-2AEFE79E6586.jpeg

Gary

Very nice work!!

Wow...the fit, around the tapered bottle is amazing.
What is that stitch called? It looks similar to a "baseball" stitch, where it is tension-ed by pulling  from the "inside"...if that makes sense.

OOOhhh I like that!growlers are a pain to transport and that would make it much easier and classier!

7 hours ago, dfrensdorff said:

Very nice work!!

Thanks!

4 hours ago, JazzBass said:

Wow...the fit, around the tapered bottle is amazing.
What is that stitch called? It looks similar to a "baseball" stitch, where it is tension-ed by pulling  from the "inside"...if that makes sense.

Not sure what it is called - I saw someone on YouTube stitching a steering wheel cover using this stitch and decided it would work well for this application.  Support straps are glued inside on the seam to take the strain off the stitches.

44 minutes ago, noobleather said:

OOOhhh I like that!growlers are a pain to transport and that would make it much easier and classier!

Thanks Noob - I carried a few full growlers home and your fingers get sore carrying by the little glass growler handle!  

Very nice!  Love the stitching!

Very nice.

Your growler skills are getting really good! You can see the refinements in each new one that you make. Great job! 

13 hours ago, Smartee said:

Very nice!  Love the stitching!

12 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Very nice.

7 hours ago, kiwican said:

Your growler skills are getting really good! You can see the refinements in each new one that you make. Great job! 

6 hours ago, Bubblehead said:

Very nice.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.  I am learning every time I make one of these and hope to continue to improve.

Niiice :)

Ok...can't help it...

When I saw the initials, I wanted to say, "Vladimir Putin will love his new growler".

Hey, somebody had to say it! LOL

14 hours ago, bjornk said:

Niiice :)

Thanks!

5 hours ago, JazzBass said:

Ok...can't help it...

When I saw the initials, I wanted to say, "Vladimir Putin will love his new growler".

Hey, somebody had to say it! LOL

HaHa!  I had the same reaction when I was told the initials they wanted on the project!

G'Day, Thats beautiful  :)  Here in Australia , we call them ' stubby holders' .

I make them with a foam insert...it gets  pretty hot down here  :)  I have also made some with belt loops .  As for the initials, the first thing I thought of is a place here in Oz called ' Kalgoorlie Boulder'. Its  a mining town in the Goldfields here in Oz. 

Lovely work , well done. Great  colour too . 

HS 

39 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

G'Day, Thats beautiful  :)  Here in Australia , we call them ' stubby holders' .

I make them with a foam insert...it gets  pretty hot down here  :)  I have also made some with belt loops .  As for the initials, the first thing I thought of is a place here in Oz called ' Kalgoorlie Boulder'. Its  a mining town in the Goldfields here in Oz. 

Lovely work , well done. Great  colour too . 

HS 

Thanks and how do you use your holders with belt loops?  A full growler weighs about 2 kg - you will need a sturdy belt to keep your trousers from falling down!

Gary

Talk about showing up in style, very nice.  Beer folks like us need to keep pace with the wine totes of the world.

12 minutes ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

Talk about showing up in style, very nice.  Beer folks like us need to keep pace with the wine totes of the world.

That growler tote looks better than the majority of the wine totes I've seen.

23 minutes ago, garypl said:

A full growler weighs about 2 kg

That is a huge difference to a regular Aussie stubby, which is around 300 - 385ml. I think the overall weight of a full stubby in a holder, would be around 450 - 550grams, so maybe around 1 pound in weight.

Of course, there are Darwin stubbies, which range from 1.25 - 2.25 litres (almost 77 US fl oz for the big one), but not widely seen.

2L Growlers are widely available in Aus these days,usually at micro breweries,where you can get them refilled when you go back to the brewery. I have a few and I use them mainly when I want to drink my homebrew when I go out so I fill them up from my kegs.Heres a pic

IMG_20190416_221043.jpg

1 hour ago, noobleather said:

2L Growlers are widely available in Aus these days

Not something I have ever seen in Australia, but I don't frequent the home brew shops, micro breweries etc.

Thanx for the info Kel.

:)  :)  Theres obviously  some pretty subtle differences in bottle sizes and descriptions.  

In Oz, most common  cans and stubbies are 375 ml . Others like imports are around 330- 345 ml . 

Then theres ' longnecks ' ,  750 ml bottles , aka ' King Browns' ( thats what I call them...and enjoy ) because of the brown glass.  

Forgive me for dropping names, but in Western  Australia , the most common beer is ' Emu Export' aka to us as ' Bush Chook  ' . 

But the one thing we all have in common is, we  love our beer  no matter what we put it in   :cheers: 

I quite like the shoulder strap on your ' growler' . I have done that on wine glass holders but not on stubbie holders.  Nice .  

Stubbie holders  here are sometimes called ' coldie holders' . The foam inserts I use are sometimes refered to as ' foamies'  .  Then theres those awful  foam rubber stubbie holders ( wet suit material ) , they're just plain boring and mass produced.

HS 

Edited by Handstitched

@garypl I think that is some very good looking workmanship there. Over here we like to drink them very cold and that means a fair bit of condensation has to be considered when making them. I use to quote @Handstitched " Then theres those awful  foam rubber stubbie holders ( wet suit material ) , they're just plain boring and mass produced" as a liner to the croc ones I make. They are rough as guts but the demand way outstrips the available supply.:dunno: The stitching method you use to attach I hope no customer of mine ever sees or I will never keep up production.(Very nice). Because of all of the variety of sizes I use an elastic cord that can expand along with the wet suit material to accommodate the size needed. Here's a couple of pics to explain - 

DSC03959_resize.JPG

r_resize_resize.JPG

DSC03933_resize.JPG

I think the main difference between the growlers and smaller bottles is that you don't drink directly from the growler,u pour the beer into a glass.Really like those croc stubby holders.A 2L growler cover made of croc skin would be a good one for the brew hipster market. 

Brian - those are really nice croc “koozies” as we call them around here!  I understand your point about condensation, but my carriers are made to transport a 64 oz “growler” of beer from the shop to your home, where it will be removed and put in the fridge.

I leave the bottom open with the carry strap and internal straps supporting the bottle - I guess any condensation that forms will drip out the bottom!  I treat the inside with a beeswax/carnuba wax/NFO/lanolin concoction that keeps it pretty water resistant.

Gary

4 minutes ago, noobleather said:

I think the main difference between the growlers and smaller bottles is that you don't drink directly from the growler,u pour the beer into a glass.Really like those croc stubby holders.A 2L growler cover made of croc skin would be a good one for the brew hipster market. 

Right on Noob!  A lot of the beer I drink has gravity around 10-11% - I would be hard-pressed to drink 64 oz at one sitting!  Forty years ago it would not be a problem, but now my limit is two beers and I get sleepy!

Gary