oltoot

COMPLETE SADDLE SHOP FOR SALE IN RAWLINS, WY

I would sell my complete Saddle Shop. All tools, materials, benches, racks required to build saddles and harness. Union Lockstitch and Singer 211U566. Complete set of stamping tools, bench tools, washing and oiling fixtures. This is a $10,000 package but worth much more. Complete list and questions answered via email or telephone. Serious inquiries only, please.

Hey there, I'm in Rawlins also, but I don't have the money or the knowledge to make saddles. I'm just learning and trying to make a little spare change, on belts spenders and such. If you do have to break up your tools to get them sold I would love to have a shot in need of some stamping tools, dyes ,and books.  Good luck to you.

Sorry can't help you with the sale other side of the pond, just interested is this is your  shop if so shame always like your input here hope it just retirement, and price i would think it a real bargain with everything you would have gathered along the way.Someone over there should take a serious look at this opportunity.

Good Luck with the sale.

JCUK

Just getting old and shaky and yes I think it would be quite a bargain. One way to look at it would be a reasonable price for the machinery with lots of hand tools thrown in.

If I was even just less than half a continent away (and a country)  I would seriously consider but just to far.

I am mostly saddened by the fact that there are no apprentices to carry on when the masters like yourself finally step back from the bench. Shame really.

I hope you still stop into the forum to "toot" in every now and then.

God Bless and may you get all the fulfilment you deserve out of the next stage of your life.

And I did Also

16 hours ago, plinkercases said:

I am mostly saddened by the fact that there are no apprentices to carry on when the masters like yourself finally step back from the bench. Shame really.

The sad fact is there are folks, like myself, that would consider doing an apprenticeship, but there is no one near enough or willing enough to provide the opportunity.  I haven't seen photos of the shop for sale, but suspect that $10k is a good price.  Most folks that would be willing to spend $10k on tools and equipment would need to already know how to use them and have a reasonable expectation of return on investment, which means paying customers.  Those individuals already have the equipment.  If not, they'd need to be near enough to do an apprenticeship, learn the trade and acquire customers before being willing to drop that much cash on tools and equipment.

@oltoot Best of luck with your sale, I do wish I was close enough to come by.

YinTx

On 4/12/2019 at 8:15 AM, YinTx said:

The sad fact is there are folks, like myself, that would consider doing an apprenticeship,

Agreed, mostly.  There are a few willing to take on the responsibility of actually showing up CONSISTENTLY and paying attention to what needs doing.  Sad part is, we now live in a "close enough" world mentality.  Like "Yeah, I know it's not right, but hey - "close enough". [Beyond that is the scam of "it's handmade, it suppose to have flaws].   Can't really fault a fella for not wanting to spend his time with someone who wants to "close enough" with his reputation.

I don't list too much for sale 'round here.  SO many "leather workers" want 'top dollar' for what they make, but seem to think it's okay to offer 10¢ - 20¢ on the dollar for materials and tools.  

Edited by JLSleather

Hope you are going to keep some tools just to stop you stop getting itchy fingers, also continue with your feed back here.

All the best

JCUK

Here in the uk the sad thing is,  unless there is an app for it, it seems  most kids are not interested in training or working at things. 

Jcuk, I agree. In my area if two young people ( male or female ) apply for a job. One from the city and one from the farm with both being equally qualified on paper, the person from the farm will get the job. Why, work ethic and not being afraid of a days work. I had a five month construction job finish and it was funny to watch the crews during their coffee breaks and lunch. The older crew members (45+) would be social, chatting about things (weather, family, wife, kids, news, general stuff) while the younger crew members (-25) would be sitting alongside one another heads down just playing with their cell phones, not uttering a word but exercising their thumbs.

kgg

On 4/12/2019 at 6:30 AM, Mark842 said:

Sent you a PM

Everything is still available and all the snow is off the ground around the shop doors

Hi

I got up one morning a couple years ago and told my wife..."Honey, I think I'm going to learn to play the Violin".

Well that's how I feel trying to learn the leather trade these past two years.  It's not an easy assignment and I'm a good student candidate having 40 years experience working in mechanical engineering, product design and manufacturing.  Plus i have some OCD going!  I'm preparing myself for retirement in a couple of years and dove in pretty deep investing thousands of $ in equipment, tools and shop infrastructure as well as spending all of my free time learning and turning big hides into small pieces most of which I think end up in my scrap box or the trash.  But it's been a wonderful journey so far and I'm getting a few customers finally who I haven't completely disappointed!  All of it i must say would not be even remotely possible without the help of a leatherworker.net member Sharon of Big Sioux Saddlery who I met on this site.  She is the only reason I'm still at it. As a mentor she has the strictest of professional expectations and though thousand miles away has been pretty effective at sharing her 35 + years of experience in the equestrian community.  I am blessed to have her looking after me as I fumble my way along.  

Thank you Big Sioux!

Silverd

Edited by Silverd

Still available?

Yes, although it hasn't snowed yet at this elevation, it may soon and make the whole thing more complicated so!