katit

Is 20 3/8 machine base correct for 21 inch table?

Don’t want to deal with router if possible 

Table I found: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223458310179

Machine I have is older Singer 138 post bed and bed measures about 20 3/8

Would it work? I assume those sizes should be somewhat standard, but 5/8 seem to be too big of a gap

They say it fits Singer 112, I wouldn’t think beds 1/2 or less different?

Edited by katit

( it say's ) . If it cut for the Signer112 with Hinge placement pre routed . the Placement of Hinges is what I would use for the ( reference/witness mark ) for fit, and it all falling into place .
If you taking your Singer 138,  and want hinges to fall into place on the cutout of that table . I just went back and measured the Singer 112 sitting in the back .
If you take both Hinge center's for a reference point . standing in front of the 112 . with the tape measure placed on the back-side of machine . with the 0" inch end mark, placed on R-side (belt end) of machine .
The Singer 112,  ' center '  of Hinges fall at the ( 3" ) and ( 12" ) mark of measurement .

edit add:

it no biggie after that if you need to do just a little trim or sanding fitting for the felt pads and corner bumpers, for getting the Head falling into a nice setting and height sit . Also same for your oil drip pan you going to need . It 'Easy ' straight forward to make a real nice one . Just get some Galvanized sheet metal and bend with some straight edges and fit in the table cutout . Then just the bare Pan and hit it with some primer and paint if you want before nailing it inside the cutout .

Edited by nylonRigging

Ok, it looks like 3 1/4 to center of first mount, 12 for the second mount pretty much spot on. Looks right? But it's closer to 20 1/4 total length of bed.

Does your Singer 112 look the same? And what kind of rubber mounts you have? I only dealt with machines where they have holes in bed, not those metal plate hooks

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

Man that pretty close for you making it a fit .
The 112 table is cutout right @ 20 1/2" x 7"
And 'these' original Singer factory hinges of the 112 head are Oval-half moon shape and screwed down into the hinge cutouts . And that is what I looking at, and measuring for a center mark .
The aftermarket table you looking at has the normal cutout for a longer ( standard rectangle-shape ) drop-in hinge . So you probably have very little trouble getting a good workable fit .

Edited by nylonRigging

Hey .. I going to change that one Hinge center to  ( 3 1/4" ) . I just went and took more time to squared everything up . and that rear hinge really is closer to the ( 3 1/4") like your your 138 .
in the Pic. camera angle looks little off, but it just the lens angle .

I keep the old 112 set-up for just single-needle 'inside seam' binding tape . 112 is a double-needle machine. But it also works great as single-needle for jobs .
It is real old and I have had it forever. I rebuilt the whole both bobbin assembly a few years back and it just keeps on rolling along strong .
-

112 112.jpg

Edited by nylonRigging

Thank you! Ordered table, will see how it works 

Anybody knows were do I get those table pieces for hinges? What is the name?

Ideally I need something to go into rectangular cutouts, but I can make those originals work too. Will have to glue in blocks and route correct openings..

hinges.JPG

None of those will work..

hinge2.JPG

Edited by katit

Yes, but those are not the same that you have (and I need) on you 112 table. Those fit regular machines with "holes" in bed. What you have in 112 has wider slot and 2 screws, they are different

yes you are right, (was not paying close attention) that link smaller on the width that what you need.
But there are a crapload of 112's out there . It is going to be all about finding salvage for that age of hinges . And there are guys with a big collection of heads and parts but if there on a good working head, people not going to part with them . I only know one guy up here with a horde of old machines and heads, I will pop a text to him and see if will dig and look to see if he has a set of old 112 hinges .

We have these flat hinge plates in stock.

20 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

We have these flat hinge plates in stock.

Bob,

Do you have round ones or maybe you have another solution to use those rectangular new style cutout?

We have these metal  hinges to fit on the head that will work with the euro style rubber mounts.

euro type hinge.JPG

Edited by CowboyBob

I guess I was too quick judging by eBay pictures. Cutout size is correct, but mountings for old style hinges :(

IMG_0104.jpg

Had to glue in fillers and then do some routing but now all is well. Machine finally got "home". Now new problem - consew motor came with 2-piece rod which is short for normal height table!

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg