lintonleather

Fortuna Skiving Machine Restoration

6 minutes ago, Danne said:

Found this also. Lower shipping if he can buy in the country where he lives.

I ended up buying some parts from the one in Austria because the one in Spain had me going round and round in circles never giving me a price when i asked him...:lol:

Thanks guys, I think Im going to go buy a rubber wheel as I hear that's best for fine leather. 

Anyone know if you can get the 50mm to fit in this machine? 

@lintonleather according to the IP address OP is located in the Nottingham, Nottingham, NG5, United Kingdom  area.

It's a good idea to add your location to your profile so you get help related to your area of the solar system!

Tom

6 hours ago, lintonleather said:

Thanks guys, I think Im going to go buy a rubber wheel as I hear that's best for fine leather. 

50mm will fit and is more useful overall. The rubber wheel is no better than a fine stone wheel on fine leather and as I have found is easily destroyed if it ever gets a adjusted up enough to touch the blade.  A stone feed wheel can be used partly to sharpen a blade when it has a large nick in it as well. The blade will come off with a few taps at the back off the bell after the 4 screws are removed. The tools mentioned with a picture above are not needed as they are for cleaning the sharpening stone and pulling the brass deflector that sits inside the bell etc. Heat will work and the head of the screw is broad enough to use a decent set of vice grips on it if the slot is too damaged.

12 hours ago, lintonleather said:

Like Rocky said a 50mm will fit but you might need to get the work plate for a 50mm feed wheel, (which is on the left side of your feed wheel) yours might be only for the 34mm feed wheel to fit? Maybe a picture or two of your machine would help.

Sorry guys had to leave the country for a few days with family. I have received my new sharpening stone and after a quick test its giving off a lot more sparks so fingers crossed this brings the blade back to life. I have contacted Fortuna service agent in the UK and they want £125 before they will discuss prices for their parts etc so am looking into alternative options one of which is a 34mm rubber feed wheel that I have been quoted €77. After seeing a number of 50mm wheels online for sub £20 I am looking for an alternative supplier atm. 

I will upload a few photos of the machine and update the thread asap 

2 hours ago, lintonleather said:

I have contacted Fortuna service agent in the UK and they want £125 before they will discuss prices for their parts etc so am looking into alternative options one of which is a 34mm rubber feed wheel that I have been quoted €77. After seeing a number of 50mm wheels online for sub £20 I am looking for an alternative supplier atm. 

I can believe that. My (very early) Fortuna skiver came with a big pile of paperwork including an invoice from Fortuna/SAS UK. Looks like the previous owner spent more for a couple dozen spare parts than I paid for the entire machine 10 years later -- and I didn't exactly pay beer money.

I've bought generic skiver parts from the usual online suspects and they tend to work, though sometimes need a little fettling. If you can stand the wait for it to arrive on the slow boat from China the savings are significant.