Bennyleather

Hello from Ohio

Hey y'all, I'm a bit of a newbie myself. I've done quite a bit if research into leather work though, and have an idea if how to go about stuff. It started last year (?) with the desire to make my own phone holster for work, and blossomed from there. I've since made several rudimentary wallets, several key fobs, a watch strap, and to card holders. 

Below is the pen holder, capable of holding 4 narrow pens or 3 fat pens lol.

IMG_20190323_174722_886.jpg

IMG_20190323_174722_885.jpg

Edited by Bennyleather

Hi Benny. Your stitching looks really good for being so new.

I see you're from Avon. I'm not too far from you, over in Berea.

To be fair, this is my newest project; my first stitched project was not this good. I've only been to Berea a couple times myself.

Benny

Welcome aboard, Benny. Looks like you are off to a good start.

3 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Welcome aboard, Benny. Looks like you are off to a good start.

Thank you, all it takes is a bit if elbow grease! I've learned a lot from your posts before I became a member here, and I'm honored to have you comment on my post!! 

Benny

21 hours ago, Bennyleather said:

Thank you, all it takes is a bit if elbow grease! I've learned a lot from your posts before I became a member here, and I'm honored to have you comment on my post!! 

Benny

Oh I'm nothing special.... More of a reader and collector of tools than a leather crafter. I produce very little. 

But, I am a great cheerleader.

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

Oh I'm nothing special.... More of a reader and collector of tools than a leather crafter. I produce very little. 

But, I am a great cheerleader.

You'd be surprised how important cheerleading is though, especially concerning an activity as broad as leathercraft; it's scary when first starting out! :D

Benny

It is daunting to say the least. I fell pretty deep down the Tandy hole starting out, before I found this site. I wasted a lot of money and effort, before learning any skill to amount to anything. And there are so many skills to develop, and different disciplines to persue. Each having their own processed or order of assembly. Gosh, it really is mindnumbing when you stop and think about it for a second.

There are so many things in so many variations with different, uses, needs, materials, styles of hardware, textures, lacing, all the different types of stitching, not counting all the endless machine stitching, decorative elements, structural needs, comforts against the skin, protection of firearms, care for tools, safety of animals, fashion sense to make something saleable, conditioning, muscle memory, and at the end of the day some prick doesn't think it's worth more than Walmart pricing.

It's the most fun frustration one can bring upon themselves.

3 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

It is daunting to say the least. I fell pretty deep down the Tandy hole starting out, before I found this site. I wasted a lot of money and effort, before learning any skill to amount to anything. And there are so many skills to develop, and different disciplines to persue. Each having their own processed or order of assembly. Gosh, it really is mindnumbing when you stop and think about it for a second.

There are so many things in so many variations with different, uses, needs, materials, styles of hardware, textures, lacing, all the different types of stitching, not counting all the endless machine stitching, decorative elements, structural needs, comforts against the skin, protection of firearms, care for tools, safety of animals, fashion sense to make something saleable, conditioning, muscle memory, and at the end of the day some prick doesn't think it's worth more than Walmart pricing.

It's the most fun frustration one can bring upon themselves.

Indeed; I'm lucky in that I couldn't afford to spend much at Tandy in the beginning: I have school to concentrate on at the moment so I've just been reading up in my "spare" time. I didn't get into leather too sell stuff, and as of now I've only sold one item, albeit underpriced :/ , but hey, that's party of the experience!

Benny

Welcome from another Ohio resident who dabbles in leather.

I'm from down Marion way, . . . do mostly holsters, gunbelts, knife sheaths, . . . but dabble in other things as well, . . . chaps, vests, key fobs, etc.

Grab a empty ammo crate, . . . sit down, . . . and enjoy.

May God bless,

Dwight

2 minutes ago, Dwight said:

Welcome from another Ohio resident who dabbles in leather.

I'm from down Marion way, . . . do mostly holsters, gunbelts, knife sheaths, . . . but dabble in other things as well, . . . chaps, vests, key fobs, etc.

Grab a empty ammo crate, . . . sit down, . . . and enjoy.

May God bless,

Dwight

Sweet! I didn't figure on having so many Ohioans here! I do key fobs as well, whether decoratory or useful, but I mostly just dabble and experiment.

Cool, I've never posted before but thought I'd chime in and say I'm close too - North Ridgeville. I do oddball stuff, various tooling, bowls, trays, small stuff like bookmarks, fobs, etc. mostly playing and experimenting. Haven't done any selling, but lots of my family have something made by me. 

cooper crest.JPG

4 hours ago, TCL said:

Cool, I've never posted before but thought I'd chime in and say I'm close too - North Ridgeville. I do oddball stuff, various tooling, bowls, trays, small stuff like bookmarks, fobs, etc. mostly playing and experimenting. Haven't done any selling, but lots of my family have something made by me. 

cooper crest.JPG

Cool! I've only sold one piece, underpriced at that, but I've given several key fobs to family too.