chrisash

Damascus steel knife

Hi

Anyone brought one of these knifes and was it any good, seems very low cost for damascus steel

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/Custom-Made-Online?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

ZThere's so much that can affect the performance of a steel knife that is impossible to say without trying it out. Pattern welded blades used to have a practical purpose when steel was produced by carburising bloomery iron, increasing the homogeney of carbon content. 1000 years ago a subtle "watering" was an indication of quality. Today, with nearly perfectly homogenous steel for ridiculously cheap prices, so-called Damascus (pattern welded) steel has but one advantage for the user: it looks pretty.

The steel mix claims to be 1095 and 15n20, which is good if correct. However we don't know how is heat treated or what its grinding or sharpening are like.

If you're looking for a good basic head knife the Barnsley/Woodware one for £15+VAT takes a lot of beating. It's just a plain beech handle and a piece of Sheffield steel (probably CS95/1095), correctly heat treated and with with bevels correctly ground (far wider than the knife you linked to). It will need some honing though.

There's so much that can affect the performance of a steel knife that is impossible to say without trying it out. Pattern welded blades used to have a practical purpose when steel was produced by carburising bloomery iron, increasing the homogeneity of carbon content. 1000 years ago a subtle "watering" was an indication of quality. Today, with nearly perfectly homogenous steel for ridiculously cheap prices, so-called Damascus (pattern welded) steel has but one advantage for the user: it looks pretty.

The steel mix claims to be 1095 and 15n20, which is good if correct. However we don't know how is heat treated or what its grinding or sharpening are like.

If you're looking for a good basic head knife the Barnsley/Woodware one for £15+VAT takes a lot of beating. It's just a plain beech handle and a piece of Sheffield steel (probably CS95/1095), correctly heat treated and with with bevels correctly ground (far wider than the knife you linked to). 

Or get you one from Crazy cut leather on eBay. He has some D2 steel knives that are easy on the eyes and pocket book.

2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Or get you one from Crazy cut leather on eBay. He has some D2 steel knives that are easy on the eyes and pocket book.

Do you have experience with Crazy Cut cutlery? I like how they look, and one of his Japanese knives are made of DC53 steel which is pretty hard (or so it found on one website). I will probably try to make my own knives this summer though whether I buy one or not, just to see how it turns out. 

6 hours ago, Bennyleather said:

Do you have experience with Crazy Cut cutlery? I like how they look, and one of his Japanese knives are made of DC53 steel which is pretty hard (or so it found on one website). I will probably try to make my own knives this summer though whether I buy one or not, just to see how it turns out. 

I have three of his knives now. Although two of them I just got and haven't really tested yet. They are all D2 and the one I have had for a bit holds a nice edge. 

It is the small pattern cutting knife for 26 bucks. And, I like it.

I think for the investment he brings a nice tool to the table. Shipping takes a minute. But, hey, it's usually free.

I have seen these for sale on Ebay and thought is it worth a punt at those prices, but don't really need another though-  it is tempting. ( Don't tell the wife :) )

Hope this helps

JCUK

I just pulled the trigger on the knife with the fancy bolster (ring around the base of the handle). Paid $43 shipped, it was $8 shipping and $35 for the item. DC53 steel is supposed to be better than D2, but we will see how it turns out. Thanks for all the info friends!

Benny

I got the Lefty model in ebony in the picture. 

I haven't gotten to use it yet, but it's sharp.

As I've posted before, www.gandmtools.co.uk have various old stock George Barnsley knives, including a round knife for £25. VAT and p&p would be extra, though that would still only make the price about £30 to £35. However you do have to do your own final sharpening & polishing 

I have their head knife, aka quarter round knife, and it's excellent

7 hours ago, zuludog said:

As I've posted before, www.gandmtools.co.uk have various old stock George Barnsley knives, including a round knife for £25. VAT and p&p would be extra, though that would still only make the price about £30 to £35. However you do have to do your own final sharpening & polishing 

I have their head knife, aka quarter round knife, and it's excellent

I have checked them out several times online, and though it would definitely be easier and simpler, I want to make my own head/round knife eventually, probably from an old circular saw blade without the carbide teeth. That project probably won't start for another year though.