dikman

My mini laser engraver

Scarve didn't work, but I don't like the simple interface anyway. Guess I'll just work with what I've got. The customer liked the folder so now wants me to make him one. This time I'll leave it as "natural" colour, neatsfoot oil should darken it just enough to give it that warm look and let the engraving stand out. This one should be quicker now that I know what I'm doing. He said others might want one too but I said any more will cost more than I'm charging him!:)

This engraver might be "cheap" and have flaky software but I'm impressed with what it can do (it can also cut stencils out of card, so that's got me thinking).

14 minutes ago, dikman said:

This engraver might be "cheap" and have flaky software but I'm impressed with what it can do (it can also cut stencils out of card, so that's got me thinking).

Next you'll be needing another one or 2 to keep up:dance:. (Don't forget it cuts the masking tape on leather nicely).The variety of things that are possible are just mind blowing. Biggest headache so far with mine is that it is stuck cutting out product boxes nearly all of the time and I cant get to try enough of that more interesting stuff. Think I might have to make another smaller one next and try and squeeze it in somewhere...........:dunno:

Yep, sounds like you definitely need another one!:lol:

I'm not overly interested in making too much for sale, it's too much like work! The only reason I'd do any is that it's an excuse to make things.

Is there enough finess to copy photo's of family etc onto leather goods say wallets or belts and so on?

The limiting factor is the type of material and the settings used to burn in. That logo I did was scanned from one on a police notebook. When I did a trial run on cardboard the detail was quite sharp, but burning onto leather lost a little bit (not much) detail, due, I guess , to the fibrous nature of leather. Burning a photo image onto leather it would certainly be recognisable but don't expect it to look like a photo.

I think the bigger issue is finding software to convert a color photo into a b&w image. I've seen some that have burned them onto wooded cutting boards and they looked really good. Part of that could be the more solid nature of the wood compared to leather