Reegesc

Pair of Cupsole Chukkas

Pair of Cupsole Chukkas I made for myself. The interesting part of this is the cupsole itself.  These are rare as hen's teeth for the U.S. hobbyist to source and crazy expensive for no more than what they are (Etsy $25-$30, Brooklyn Shoe Supply $50).  But I came up with a low cost solution that I'll share with you.  I buy slip-on sneakers at Walmart and carefully remove the canvas uppers (tip, use a heat gun to loosen the glued parts).  If you don't mind a little elbow grease, the Walmart method will yield good quality rubber cupsoles for $7 - $8.  

Cupsole Chukkas.JPG

Nice work and great idea!  What materials did you use for the rest of the project?

Gary

Thanks!  The rest of the materials were 5 oz Nubuck for the uppers (no lining),  4 oz Horween Veg Tan Horsehide for the insole and toe puff, 2 oz Kidskin for the eyelet reinforcement and boot rim.  The heel counter was also 5 oz Nubuck.  1 mm thread Twin Eagle thread for the uppers and 1 mm Ritza Tiger thread for the side stitching,.   Also discovered and used for the first time on this pair a "Jerk Awl" to do the side stiching (also called Jerk Needle, Hooked Needle).  Man it's sooo much easier, faster and better looking to side stitch using that awl.   Previously I had just been using needles (and long pliers) and then recently the speed stitcher.  They don't hold a candle to a Jerk Awl.

Jerk-Needle-Size-5-1202-05-600_430.jpg

Edited by cseeger

Very nice!  Love them!

Awesome!  Man you have a lot of sole.....

58 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Awesome!  Man you have a lot of sole.....

Haha...clever.  You always say the nicest things.

Edited by cseeger

That's a great idea for the soles. And the shoes look good.

It a little ridiculous. Fixing a shoe is more is more that a shoe manufacturer spends on materials, labor and profit. 

Out of 8 bucks you spend 4 goes to the company that designed the shoe that pays 2 to another company to  make the shoe. The store that sells the shoes gets 4

Edited by George1520