Secondgunman

Cambell and Randell newbe thread questions?

Happy easter weekend all. I was wondering if anyone could help with the choice polyester vs nylon cord in this machine. Can i get them pre lubed? Do they need to be lubed? Am I putting to much thought into this? Cambell Recommended polyester because they said nylon stretches a bit. Then on the flip side of the coin a local leather veteran said use the nylon no need for lube. But that being said he runs an Equally old but slightly different Landis machine. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated someone with Hand on cambell Experience would be exceptional. Thanks for your time.

Campbell Randall Lockstitch machines were designed before there was any synthetic thread. The standard thread for these machines is left twist glazed linen thread. The best is Barbour's Irish Linen Thread, which is sold by Campbell Randall. It works very well when run through Campbell's Lax-Wax in the lube pot. It can also be run through Sellari's liquid stitching wax.

If you don't want to use linen thread and wax, use the lubricated bonded polyester thread that is sold by Campbell Randall. You will have to use a slightly bigger awl than if you used linen thread, which bends easier and forms tighter 'knots.'