akguy59

Weaver stitching chisels ?

Hi folks. Just looking to see if anyone has some info on the Weaver brand stitching chisels. I got an email saying they are back in stock and when I saw the prices ( around 20$ a set ) I was quite curious. I read the reviews on their site and all but one was positive. I would like to get multiple sets so that I would be set for different stich patterns and this seems like a reasonably priced way to go. If anyone has used them I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks all.

I bought the set with the RED band on it a few months ago.  I believe it is 9 SPI.  I really like the set.  The steel was polished and smooth.  The prongs were very small, sharp, and left a very small slit in the leather and the stitching looked great.  I ordered a set with the YELLOW band on it (4mm) and received it last week.  Right away I noticed the steel wasn't as nice, smooth and polished like the first set I got.  The prongs were quite a bit larger in diameter and left larger holes in the leather.  I was hoping for the small, thin prongs like what was on the first set I received.  I appears that the manufacturer has changed or the person making them is not of the same skill level.  So, the first set/generation of the chisels I rate at a 5 and the second set/generation I rate at a 2-3.  But for the money I can make do with what was sent. 

Thank you. That is pretty much what I figured. I don't mind spending a little time polishing or sharpening, I just don't want to waste my money on something that is going to break with normal usage.

Aren't this the same chisels sold on eBay for $10 for a set of 1,2,4 and 6 prongs?. I have the 3mm and the 4mm. . The 3mm makes very small holes , the other ones , not so small . They are not bad for up to 8oz. Can't go wrong for the price ... they will make diamond shapes  holes , 3 ,4,5 or 6mm apart , so if that's what you want you will be happy. . If you are looking for a particular angle pitch , super steel, nice presentation packaging and so forth , then you might have to spend a "little bit"  more .

A 10 prong  will cost you around $11

Edited by LeatherLegion

So here's my quandary, I was given a set of stitching chisels that are pretty low quality but if you are careful wont bend much. They do bend and I was going to buy a replacement set one at a time until I had a set. They were marked 4mm so I bought a 4mm from Tandy. They are not the same!!! The Cheap set is 4mm center to center the new tandy chisel is 4mm between holes. I guess I would like to know which is the correct measurement for most chisels center to center or between holes?

10 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

So here's my quandary, I was given a set of stitching chisels that are pretty low quality but if you are careful wont bend much. They do bend and I was going to buy a replacement set one at a time until I had a set. They were marked 4mm so I bought a 4mm from Tandy. They are not the same!!! The Cheap set is 4mm center to center the new tandy chisel is 4mm between holes. I guess I would like to know which is the correct measurement for most chisels center to center or between holes?

Chuck, you are correct about the sizing difference.  To my knowledge, the Tandy sizing is the outlier.  Most companies report the center-to-center sizing of the prongs.  The 4mm from Tandy are spaced very far apart.  I only use those for turned bags or anywhere I don't see the stitching.  To me they end up being flat and ugly.  My favorite size Tandy in the black-colored irons is the 2mm.  It give a good stitch with 0.8 oz. thread or even a bit finer.

Either could be right. Its the stitches per inch you want. Each of those chisels will give you a different stitch-per-inch

54 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Chuck, you are correct about the sizing difference.  To my knowledge, the Tandy sizing is the outlier.  Most companies report the center-to-center sizing of the prongs.  The 4mm from Tandy are spaced very far apart.  I only use those for turned bags or anywhere I don't see the stitching.  To me they end up being flat and ugly.  My favorite size Tandy in the black-colored irons is the 2mm.  It give a good stitch with 0.8 oz. thread or even a bit finer.

I agree a bit wide for my work I was just wondering on the other tool makers as I don't really want to waste money on tools I wont use. Being in Wyoming I either have to risk buying unseen online or driving 140 miles to the nearest Tandy. The tandy tool looks like a quality tool just not the right size.

I have to import everything I need for leatherworking. I've bought stitching chisels directly from China, via ebay. Most of these sellers give the width of the prong and the width of the gap between them. I have 3mm and 4mm sets. On each of these the prong is about 1.5mm wide and the gap is 3 or 4mm. Generally I use the 3mm for fine sewing, eg up to 0.65mm thread, and the 4mm for 1 to 1.2 mm thread. I've found the quality of the tool steel ok, a wee bit of sharpening helps them but they are sharp enough to use as they come. Sets are available in 3, 4, 5, & 6mm prong 

Example; [if you browse around on ebay you can find the same tools at various prices, as they generally come from one factory its the same tool you buy] Scroll down thru the description and it tells the width of the prong and the gap

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Pieces-Leather-Craft-Pricking-Diamond-Stitching-Chisel-Hole-Punch-Tool-Set-/382637271805?var=&hash=item5916f56afd

PS. My nearest Tandy is about 160miles direct. But I have a sea voyage to do to get there

Edited by fredk

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:49 AM, fredk said:

My nearest Tandy is about 160miles direct. But I have a sea voyage

Luxury! When I were a lad, we had to walk 300 miles in bare-feet through 6 feet of snow, carrying a horse on our back, just to see some leather ... *coff ...

We don't even have a Tandy store in the entire country, so the nearest has got to be about 12,000 kms away.

55 minutes ago, Rockoboy said:

Luxury! When I were a lad, we had to walk 300 miles in bare-feet through 6 feet of snow, carrying a horse on our back, just to see some leather ... *coff ...

We don't even have a Tandy store in the entire country, so the nearest has got to be about 12,000 kms away.

Eeeee, lad, that be luxury, we had to walk bare foot and bare legged through miles of brambles and bog marsh, fighting off rampant man-eating hedgehogs, just to find cow, arm wrestle it into submission, skin it wi' blunt flint blade, tan it in pee and poo, and soften the leather by chewing on it for 3 months.  You try telling youngsters today all that and they wouldn't believe you

No Tandy in my country either - sort of. One in UK but none in N.I.

Youngsters! Pffft! don't know how good they got it, they don't!

It might be in another country across 160miles of ocean, but that's how far I swim to work every day, then walk for 12 hours, just so I can earn half a slice of mouldy bread with no butter!

We are so poor, we don't even have countries that are 160 miles away! and I think Tandy have moved their Australian office to the moon!

I've lived my whole 58+ years within an 1/8 of a mile of the one room school house -MY FATHER, uncle, & aunt- attended elementary classes at  during the 1920's (and early '30s).

Once secondary school was warranted they had to endeavor the proverbial -miles- walk to the middle/high school about 5 miles away (following roadways that is). This was rural Ohio in the outskirts of the county seat & it's largest 'burg for about 20 miles or so.