aaronthearcher

Help choosing a servo motor for a ferdco pro 2000

I just recently purchased a ferdco pro 2000 (juki 441 clone) it's 19 years old and very low hours came with a clutch motor.  I'm thinking I'd really like the upgrade to a servo motor.  I'm trying to decide brushed or brushless, experience with RC vehicles makes me lean toward brushless but maybe the torque needs point toward the brushed...  The machine already has a speed reducer though it is a greased shaft, and not on ball bearings (a future upgrade if needed).  Motors I'm considering.

Leather Machine Co.  $145 plus shipping  https://www.leathermachineco.com/product/brushless-digital-d-c-servo-motor/

Techsew 550 $119 http://www.techsew.com/techsew-550-servo-motor.html

Toledo industrial machines fs 550s  (family sew) $135 shipped https://www.tolindsewmach.com/motors.html

Reliable sewquiet $169 shipped (amazon) https://reliablecorporation.com/products/sewquiet-6000sm-servomotor

Artisan acf-625 $195 I can pick this one up at their shop.http://www.artisansew.com/motors.html

The other thing I can't figure out if I would want or need is a needle positioner/synchronizer  some of these have the option some don't and it varies the price a lot.

Maybe there are other great options I missed, don't have the money for the EFKA but please share thoughts and experience.  I've been reading the forums and gleaning information but wondered what the consensus is on these things.

Thanks

Edited by aaronthearcher
Missing link

The Techsew and the Toledo appear to be the same motor. The downside, imo, to all of them is that you have to get underneath the table to adjust the speed. Of course this is only a problem if you're constantly varying the speed setting, I suspect many of us generally work out the optimum setting that suits our needs and leave it set at that. If you have to keep adjusting the settings then one with a knob speed control will be better.

Needle synchroniser - if you intend sewing fast (or long runs) then it may be useful, if you're sewing leather at slow speed then it's not necessary as you will have sufficient control to stop where you want to. Be aware that many of them won't work if you're using a speed reducer as well.

Getting a smaller 2" pulley with the motor is always a good idea as well.

In short, any of those motors should work fine for your needs.

@dikman thanks so much for the help that's kind of what I figured, any opinion/advice on brushed vs brushless?

I got the family sew from Toledo on my ferdco 2000. 

Pleased so far.

I would choose the Reliable Sewquiet based on experience with their other equipment and the number of internal coils the motor has. On a quick check I couldn't determine how many internal coils the others motors have. I am equating the more internal coils the more available initial torque and longevity.

kgg

1 hour ago, kgg said:

I would choose the Reliable Sewquiet based on experience with their other equipment and the number of internal coils the motor has. On a quick check I couldn't determine how many internal coils the others motors have. I am equating the more internal coils the more available initial torque and longevity.

kgg

That's what I was thinking originally too, but my table has a sheet metal body and it would be a pain to turn that on and off without the remote switch away from the motor itself, with a normal table this would be great...

just my opinion . maybe give some info to making your choices .
I think that the servo that draw more Amp runs stronger and less heat under a load .
I run 4 of the standard 550 watt servo motors and they all draw 4-Amp . I have one of the brushless 750 watt servo and it draws 6-Amp . It is like night and day when you hop off the 550 to the 750 watt,  6-amp motor .

7 minutes ago, nylonRigging said:

just my opinion . maybe give some info to making your choices .
I think that the servo that draw more Amp runs stronger and less heat under a load .
I run 4 of the standard 550 watt servo motors and they all draw 4-Amp . I have one of the brushless 750 watt servo and it draws 6-Amp . It is like night and day when you hop off the 550 to the 750 watt,  6-amp motor .

yeah I'm leaning toward the brushless right now, helps I can go pick one up at artisan since I'm in the bay area, the other option would be the one from leather machine co but the artisan is 750 watt

It's pretty obvious that a bigger motor (more hp) will draw more current, particularly when under load, and a brushless motor should be more efficient but if you're only a hobbyist then realistically neither of these will make much of a difference (particularly if you're using a speed reducer as well). It stands to reason, however, that if you can then always buy the bigger hp motor, as the price difference often isn't that great.

I have both 550w and 750w motors and, coupled with speed reducers, I can't really tell any difference when using them.

11 hours ago, JKHelms said:

I got the family sew from Toledo on my ferdco 2000. 

Pleased so far.

Same with my Ferdco 2000. I run it max rpm for the most part. I did wish it was a bit faster for the long belt runs, but it suits my needs all the same. 

Ended up going with the one from leathermachineco/cobra  5 year warranty, sponsor here, has other parts for my ferdco (needed more bobbins), and the tech and sales folk I talked with were really helpful.  Helps that they are also in state so shipping should be pretty quick.  Helps that @Cobra Steve has so many good things said here about everything from that company.