TheRaptor

Walking Foot Sewing Machine

Hi Gang,

I am looking for honest advice on Walking Foot Sewing Machine the material will be up to 30mm thick sisal carpet.
(image below)

Some of these Rugs are 400cm x 600cm+ and longer piece !
So, I am assuming the sewing machine with largest & strongest Walking foot would be Singer 7-33 ?

I used & heard years ago these come with a multitude of accessories & Conversions are possible.

Sewn-Edging.jpg

I don't think the Singer 7-33 is going to do the job. I don't think you are going to able to stuff the material under the presser foot let alone sew it. From the information I have seen the Singer 7-33 has 9/16 " (14.28mm) clearance under the presser foot and you need 30mm (roughly 1 3/16") so you would be needing about an extra 15+mm (7/16") more clearance just to get the material under the presser foot. I think you would be needing a needle and awl type sewing machine for that type of material and thickness.

kgg

You’ll probably need a specialized carpet binding machine with built-in pullers. A simple walking foot isn’t going to pull a large rug through the machine. This Youtube video shows the type of machine you  likely need:

The machines made by N-C Carpet  are not cheap 

http://www.n-ccarpet.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=600_1500&product_id=321imageproxy.php?img=&key=81964be983ea98b5

E241DA05-458A-4CC8-89FC-9982AC4F0924.png

Edited by Uwe

Consew 733R-5 has 1-1/4" (32mm) presser foot clearance with double row presser feet, Seiko SLH-2B-FH-1 also has 1-1/4" (32mm) foot lift with single or L shape presser foot.

Singer 7-33 from the factory has 9/16" of foot lift, but often people like us will cut and weld some part to make it 1" of foot lift.

Hi Uwe,

Great looking machine, never thought there was a machine built for that purpose.

But $8k, is more than what I paid for my 4X4WD, and I have more fun.

Thanks for that.

On 4/23/2019 at 11:15 PM, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

Consew 733R-5 has 1-1/4" (32mm) presser foot clearance with double row presser feet, Seiko SLH-2B-FH-1 also has 1-1/4" (32mm) foot lift with single or L shape presser foot.

Singer 7-33 from the factory has 9/16" of foot lift, but often people like us will cut and weld some part to make it 1" of foot lift.

Hi Gregg,

That is more what I am looking for, I googled them and the Consew with the double row presser foot looked the better for what I want to do.

As I am in Australia, there appears none are on eBay ...yet.

Any idea what do Second hand ones sell for ?

On 9/29/2019 at 5:11 PM, TheRaptor said:

Hi Gregg,

That is more what I am looking for, I googled them and the Consew with the double row presser foot looked the better for what I want to do.

As I am in Australia, there appears none are on eBay ...yet.

Any idea what do Second hand ones sell for ?

I'll PM you with a guy in Australia who has a Seiko SLH-2B.