rhdiv

Juki dnu 1541s bent bobbin winding tention

I ordered a 1541s online and when it arrived the part that you double loop through to wind the bobbin is bent down. In the picture on the right is how it should be and on the left is my machine. The metal is so thick, I’ve tried to bend it back up but I also don’t want to ruin it. Any suggestions to help would be great! Thank you. 

B8687B3E-D1E1-4200-9667-A8976F510D45.jpeg

Edited by rhdiv

Call the company you ordered it from and get a replacement part.   That is due to the shipping of the item and it got bent.  If they will not back the part,  you probably can bend it back in a vice but first must remove from machine and tap it lightly with a rubber or plastic hammer being very careful not to break the support as you bend it back.

glenn

The easiest way to straighten that bend is to remove it from the top cover, then put the bent portion between the jaws of a good vise and press the bend out. Hammering may be a bit too violent for the scale of the part.

-DC

I am surprised that it was shipped with it already mounted to the top cover as mine was in a clear plastic parts bag and the styrofoam wasn't moulded to allow for that part to be mounted for shipping. I agree with Sark9 the best way to straighten it would be to put it in a good vise to flatten the bend out. But before you do that contact and request a replacement part from the company you purchase it from. Send them pictures of the damaged part as well as any damage to the shipping carton. I would go through all the bits and pieces with a fine tooth comb checking for any other damage to the machine, covers, table, motor, etc. When you get to run the machine check for any usual sounds it should run quiet, smooth and steady with no vibrations.

Send them pictures of the damaged part as well as any damage to the shipping carton.

Send them a link to this thread..if they think that others ( potential customers ) are watching what their reply might be ..might help to focus their attention. :)

No big deal, really. If they won't replace it then as Sark said squeezing it in a vice should straighten it. Might not come out perfect but it will still work. It's unlikely that the metal will be anything special, just ordinary steel.

I agree with the others, and for sure I would remove the mount to straighten it. Even though it is double secured with screws, I would say its to fragile an area if trying to bend the mount. 

Have a good day

Floyd

Definitely remove the bobbin tensioner from the top cover before trying to straighten, it is some sort of alloy.

Also you mention in your post  "double loop through to wind the bobbin". The thread path should be that the thread enters through the hole in the bracket arm then loops between the tensioner discs and then the thread is threaded back out through the same hole in the bracket arm. The thread does not make a complete 360 wrap before exiting. The thread then goes directly to your bobbin. If you do a complete 360 wrap before exiting you are going to put to much tension on the bobbin thread. Tension on the bobbin thread is then increased or decreased by tightening / loosening the nob on the tensioner. The reason I mention this is that there is a video on youtube that shows the thread entering the tensioner through the hole in the bracket arm which is correct but then goes directly underneath the thread cutter before going to the bobbin, not correct.

kgg

Thank you everyone for your help! I called and they said they will send me a replacement right away! I am glad because I do not have a vice grip to try and fix it myself. Can’t wait!

2 hours ago, kgg said:

Definitely remove the bobbin tensioner from the top cover before trying to straighten, it is some sort of alloy.

Also you mention in your post  "double loop through to wind the bobbin". The thread path should be that the thread enters through the hole in the bracket arm then loops between the tensioner discs and then the thread is threaded back out through the same hole in the bracket arm. The thread does not make a complete 360 wrap before exiting. The thread then goes directly to your bobbin. If you do a complete 360 wrap before exiting you are going to put to much tension on the bobbin thread. Tension on the bobbin thread is then increased or decreased by tightening / loosening the nob on the tensioner. The reason I mention this is that there is a video on youtube that shows the thread entering the tensioner through the hole in the bracket arm which is correct but then goes directly underneath the thread cutter before going to the bobbin, not correct.

kgg

Thank you for clarifying that! That could of been a total disaster!!

I am going to assume you got the multi language manuals with the machine and have your machine mounted. My suggestion would be to go though everything again step by step by the manual. When it comes to putting the bobbin in what I found easiest was to tilt the machine back and let it rest on the back stop post that is mounted in the table. I didn't install the plastic covers over the drive belt. Hands and fingers are just to big and / or clumsy to install from underneath the table as well as I can see and hear the click as the bobbin is installed.