LeatherLegion

1.5 amps motor on a walking foot

Would a 1.5amp motor be able to "move" a Nakajima 341 successfully ?  I have a servo motor for that machine but having one of those small motors attached to it might save a lot of space as i don't have room for another full size table in my basement. I am planning on using this machine only for up to 6-8oz ..mostly wallets or light bags. Any other suggestion?

Any input would be a appreciated

Thank you !

Ed

I have one of those tiny motors on a Singer 29k71 patcher. It has a tiny pulley that feeds the larger pulley on the flywheel on the patcher. The speed reduction is probably 15 or 20 to 1. That's what it takes to drive a heavy mechanism. Your machine probably has a smaller pulley than my patcher. Thus, it may require an idler wheel with 3:1 gear reduction to get enough torque to turn the machine over from a dead stop and pierce veg-tan leather. You can find these reducers on the cheapo portable walking foot machines sold on eBay.

46 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

I have one of those tiny motors on a Singer 29k71 patcher. It has a tiny pulley that feeds the larger pulley on the flywheel on the patcher. The speed reduction is probably 15 or 20 to 1. 

I guess replacing the flywheel with a larger one will help, without the help of an idler wheel? Will that also slow it down a bit too?

Thank you .

Yes, replacing the flywheel with a large pulley will help, but the best you might get is maybe 10:1 with a 10" pulley, which probably won't be enough based on what Wiz has said. Can you mount the servo on top of the table, behind the head unit? One or two have done that.

2 hours ago, LeatherLegion said:

I guess replacing the flywheel with a larger one will help, without the help of an idler wheel? Will that also slow it down a bit too?

Thank you .

Honestly, these little motors don't have enough startup torque to overcome the weight of the large flywheel on my patcher. I had to spin the wheel with my hand to get it moving. Once in motion the motor could keep it sewing until I stopped the wheel.

Sounds like the little motor could be a no-go. This is what I meant by a top-mount servo.

111W117 motor1a.jpg

7 hours ago, dikman said:

Sounds like the little motor could be a no-go. This is what I meant by a top-mount servo.

111W117 motor1a.jpg

Nice setup you have there. How does the pedal work?

This is the final version.

511166389_111W117motor6a.jpg.f7a10ced66d9543290b0ce7672f63da2.jpg

The pedal is the usual arrangement, what I like about many of the servos is the control "box" is a separate unit so doesn't have to be mounted with the motor so is simply mounted underneath.

1543172881_111W117motor3a.jpg.d1da643c6294d210a6a6c4fd08e23b09.jpg

I might end up bolting the servo motor under my work bench and  mount the machine only when i need to use it.  I can probably  cover the cut-out for the belt with the cutting mat when the machine is not being used .

Thanks for your input guys

Considering you already have the servo it makes sense to use it. Plus it will be a better motor than the little one.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:32 AM, dikman said:

111W117 motor1a.jpg

Hello Dikmann. Can you provide me with what kind of servomotor, you have got here. I like to look into the specifications/manual. I am interested in the shaft power of the motor and the weight of the motor.

I do know something about electromechanics, and I do wonder about why these servo motors for sewing machines are that big. My guess is, that this servomotor could have an input max power of 550 W but an output max shaft power (continous) of about 300 W. And the motor weight is  5 kg?

For general industrial servomotors like I link to below. you can get a motor with 200 W continous output power and 600 W peak power with a weight of 0.86 kg. However I think the shaft RPM is high.

http://www.allaboutmotion.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Parker-Aries-Brochure.pdf

I'm on holidays at the moment so not home. I can tell you that the servo is a fairly generic one that I bought off ebay, the vendor was here in Australia so I didn't have to buy from overseas. It's rated at "550w" but as you know that can mean anything! It's perfectly adequate for the machine it's on and can punch through 1/2" of veg with no problems.