chrisash

Threaded Inserts for 3D Printed threads

Just found a video about inserting brass thread inserts into 3d models for extra strength, the person doing the video seems to have covered many strength tests and it could be of use to others  placing bolts into pla or simular filament parts

Not really sure i understood the last part using Cura to strenthen only parts of the design, maybe someone can explain more clearly

Inserts about £14 on amazon link he gives for a box full of different sizes of M threads

Video at

22 hours ago, chrisash said:

Not really sure i understood the last part using Cura to strenthen only parts of the design, maybe someone can explain more clearly

In Curra in the basic settings you have the option to make the shell thickness to the thickness you want as long as it is a multiple of the nozzle diameter. eg. if the nozzle is .4 the shell thickness can be set to .4,   .8,  1.2,   1.6 and so on. As long as your drawing of a solid has holes put in it, they receive the same thickness treatment as the outside wall thickness.( sometimes I have strengthened parts that come under heavy compression by putting more holes through the part). If he had made his shell thickness more it may have made it stronger but I think if he had used say a higher density percent above the 30% he used, it would not have pulled out the full thickness of the hole and its surrounding shell as easily. NOTE: As long as you can bury a nut down in there or assessable from the back it will be stronger than any of the shown methods. I often print a tight hole for a nut and then heat the nut up and force it in and it works very well. Here in some pics below I have inserted some nuts into the housing of a shroud I have designed to improve the air flow over my diode lasers. It also marries up with a frame that allows me to have Z lift for them.

DSC04539_resize.JPG

Here I have inserted the diode laser and these bolts allow me to position the laser module within it at an ideal height.

DSC04541_resize.JPG

This pic shows where I have pushed a nut into the back of a moving block that allows the up and down Z movement.

DSC04542_resize.JPG

DSC04561_resize.JPG

Seeing that you're a leatherworker, can't you make a decent cover for your chair? It looks a bit tatty.:lol:

Many thanks Rocky

I've done this with both 3d printed parts and cast polymer parts. It works great.

Didn't watch the video but I found a custom brass tip inserted into a soldering iron works awesome. If you have a friend with a lathe that should be a cheap part.

The threads are only as strong as the base material.  You can print threads directly into the design and they will be as strong or stronger than the threads cut by the inserts.  Why use inserts when they pull out of the same material as a screw would?