KenJWan

My first leather project

27 minutes ago, KenJWan said:

My first leather project and I decide to make this.

Those are FANTASTIC! Please tell me that you trained under a leather working master. I can't wait to see what else you have to offer.   :popcorn: 

Haha. No. I mostly did this myself, after researching on the internet. Got some help from a local boot maker when things got tougher.

Geez, talk about 'jumping in feet first '  ( < note the obvious pun !! ) 

My first leather project was a belt that I made an assortment of mistakes  on. I sold it to a  local customer...and it came back . The press studs fell off.  How embarrassing .:blush: 

But they are awesome ,  well done  :thumbsup:

HS 

Amazing first project..so..what's next..saddles ? :-)

Ohhhhh nice :)

Haha! Thanks! Honestly, I started with no expectation that I’d end up with something wearable. I bought larger pieces of “scrap” leather and used cheap buckles. There are mistakes which I expected to make and I did this to learn. Had to restart at one point due to an oversight. The fact I got something wearable was a bonus.

Here’s some progress photos and me wearing them!

IMG_4562.jpg

IMG_5125 2.jpg

IMG_5309.jpg

Awesome!  Can't wait to see your next project!

17 hours ago, KenJWan said:

My first leather project and I decide to make this. LOL! 

Those are awesome.  I just posted a pair of sandals that I made.  My first pair.  

Nice work! 

Where did you get the lasts from?

2 hours ago, GregS said:

So where does one buy soles?  Care to point to some resources that you found helpful?

Because it was a “learning” project, I just bought them on eBay of all places. Think they’re the same ones as on Amazon. The leather really isn’t anything special. If you have a local leather supplier, they probably carry what you’d need.

As for resources, I found this one helpful:

https://m.imgur.com/a/VGPyZ

I’d also research the various types of sole construction as there are many for different applications. I ended up using something different from the one shown in the link.

Edited by KenJWan
Typo

Wowzer Wowzer... those are great.  :spoton:

Nice to see another BC'er in here :)

Very nice mister !!! I've been contemplating on making a set of my own, been watching a lot of videos on construction and repair ;)

Hi

Only piece of advice i can give you, is grow yourself another hand and give yourself a big pat on the back ! 

GREAT FIRST PROJECT

Hope this helps

JCUK

This is great. What was the part you struggled with and what did the boot maker help with? Was there a fee? This is something I would love to learn some day.

Edited by JC2019

Inspiring thanks.

On 4/23/2019 at 12:45 PM, GregS said:

So where does one buy soles?  Care to point to some resources that you found helpful?

You might call Landwerlen Leather Company in Indianapolis.  They have been supplying items for cobbler's for many years.

Landwerlen Leather Company

• Address: 365 S Illinois St, Indianapolis, IN 46225
  • Phone: (317) 636-8300

They don't have a web site.  It's like stepping back in time.  Wonderful place and I always experienced wonderful customer service.

Wow! Nicely done, thank you for the info on the lasts and the links! 

Thanks for the positive comments.

Regarding the things I had the most difficulties with, I think it was translating what I see in my existing boots to patterns that might replicate and tweak what I wanted. In the end, I learned that it was important to get this right in order to properly last the uppers. Additionally, I'd say once the uppers were all put together, the need to build the soles was intimidating. That's when I reached out for help. I was lucky in that the bootmaker I reached out to was impressed enough that he went completely out of his way to help, even supplying the soles and heels to get the job done... at no cost, other than a bottle of scotch (and he poured me some of his scotch and beer too).

With all that done, my plan is to tweak my patterns and perfect my next pair. I already have some Horween horsebutt and Japanese buckles all ready.

These are totally awesome! What a fantastic first project!