Rossr

Leather work swap who would be interested?

Hi Folks,

I may have talked about this before but I would like to do this and see who else would too.    Over the years I have been involved with some custom knife swaps.   Also called knife in the hat.   Basically folks who want to participate decide what on a style of knife and what it is to be made from, then each person makes a knife.   Posts the pics to the forum.  The facilitator then randomizes the participants and draws names and you send your work to another and you get another makers work.

So why do this:  1.  you get some one else's work for you to enjoy and admire.    2.  You get to practice and stretch your abilities 3.  Other makers can see your work and provide constructive criticism.   4.  Its fun

So with this is mind here i what I am proposing.  

1.  Carving work.   3x 5 inch Piece of veg tan you carve something into it.   Have fun with it. No adult themes so anyone can participate that way.

2.  Dyeing and finishing after carving is encouraged

3.   Your skill level does not matter. Beginner to expert can and should participate.  This is about improving, supporting each other and getting something from other makers

4.   Cost involved.   Your time and a piece of leather.   Each participant agrees to ship leather carving to assigned recipient.  

5.  All post pictures of what they made in the forums.

Thats it folks. If we get enough folks interested I say we do this I can facilitate the list etc. on this thread.   We would put a finish date on for it as well.  

So what do you say whos in for a little carving work and sharing

Ross

Sounds like a great idea. It gives beginners and experts something to aim for.

Once somebody gets their hands on your work, they can possibly see how to improve their own, or make suggestions how you can improve your work.

I have carved a couple of small pieces, but I am in!

8 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Sounds like a great idea. It gives beginners and experts something to aim for.

Once somebody gets their hands on your work, they can possibly see how to improve their own, or make suggestions how you can improve your work.

I have carved a couple of small pieces, but I am in!

Brian,

That is exactly part f the point!  Above all else its something fun to do and you get someone elses hard work which you will have as a memory forever.

That makes 2.   Has to be more folks out there who want to give this a try...come on people

Ross

Count me in.  Although I'll probably be learning more than anyone getting my works would be, lol.

YinTx

That's a cool idea!  I can't participate in this go-round, but it sounds like a fun way to bring the virtual and leather worlds together.

4 hours ago, YinTx said:

Count me in.  Although I'll probably be learning more than anyone getting my works would be, lol.

YinTx

Hardly Yin.....and you can always pickup something from everyone!

40 minutes ago, maxdaddy said:

That's a cool idea!  I can't participate in this go-round, but it sounds like a fun way to bring the virtual and leather worlds together.

No why not Max daddy.  We will have a deadline on it but we will make sure there is enough time...no reason not too....its only 3x5 inches!!   doesnt have to be complex even!

Who else out there like to get at least 10 participants...more would be awesome

14 minutes ago, Rossr said:

sure there is enough time

Any other ground rules so that I can start to make something as soon as I have free time?  Or do we have to wait until all participants are signed up?

YinTx

24 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Any other ground rules so that I can start to make something as soon as I have free time?  Or do we have to wait until all participants are signed up?

YinTx

I don't think so, keeping this one simple. Anything else you can think to add?

I am thinking it might be an idea to work within a calender month. So, the parameters are set at whatever time, for work to commence the start of the following month. Your item to be posted, if possible, at or around the end of that month.

That means, we set the ball rolling now, for work to commence on the 01st of May, then be posted out around the end of the month, or earlier. Around the 20th - 25th of May parameters are set for June etc etc 

Maybe change the size or shape of the piece each month or couple months. Do the 3" X 5" for a couple of goes, then change to 4" diameter circle, then 1" X 5" strap, vary thickness, maybe put up a design subject on some occasions - flowers, western theme, water theme, Sheridan etc etc.

Any other ideas to keep things interesting? 

Only other thought is to make something useful, say for instance a 9.5x3.25 wallet back with 5 oz leather. Or a field notes cover size piece, or a coaster.  Recipient could then make a wallet, or put it in a frame, whatever they desire.  What will we do with a 3"x5" piece?  Maybe stitch it on a purse or a journal cover or a hat or something...

YinTx

5 hours ago, YinTx said:

make something useful

I like this idea. :17:

Alright,

I am fine with something useful.   So far there are the three of us.   I am still holding hope for a few more.   Which shall we choose?    Keep it simple with a coaster?    the 3x5 was a random thought since I had a index card laying on my desk lol.   

Ross

I like keep it simple to start.  Some things to consider:  book mark, wallet back, hat topper, hat patch, coaster, key case, field notes cover, etc.  Start small and get bigger over time?

CoasterLuggage.thumb.jpg.cd547d296cfcd7797765b2e7bb2534cd.jpg

HatAndWallet.thumb.jpg.cb70d67973c2a2bd8d8be4375b8acc1d.jpg

WalletBacks.thumb.jpg.6440b033fbf57ac762910b814b802d9f.jpg

YinTx

Ohh this sounds fun, count me in as long as the timing is right as I am off for the 1st 2 weeks in June

May I have a bit of your time please? I want to tell you of something and from that you may draw some ideas, or not.

Yonks ago I was a member of a polymer clay forum. Like this forum we had members all over the world but the HQ was in the US. I was the only male member btw.

About 3 or 4 times year we had a 'Swap'

We proposed, discussed and then voted for a subject for the Swap. Not all the members took part every time, those that did went away and made something in polymer clay to meet the subject. 

We then posted our creations to one member in the US along with some postage money. This member then sort of mixed up the creations and posted them out to the members who participated. Thus each of us got something made by someone else.

Only after receiving our Swap did we post up photos of what we received and what we made

The basis of the Swap was just make 1 for 1 back, many of us made 1 for each participant - so if 12 of the group were playing I made 11 items and received 11 back

Subjects chosen were simple eg; food, dragons, sea creatures, and other things on which new techniques could be tried. Thus it was matter of each of interpreted the subject and how we created something but we were all working on the same subject

Edited by fredk

16 hours ago, fredk said:

The basis of the Swap was just make 1 for 1 back, many of us made 1 for each participant - so if 12 of the group were playing I made 11 items and received 11 back

I like the thought, but it could be a bit much for instance to make 11 wallet backs.  Selling at $100 each for tooled wallets, you are talking sending out $1100 worth of product for free. Taking 3-4 hours each to make, is an entire work week of labor.  (I get it some may be faster, but most of us are not)

We proposed, discussed and then voted for a subject for the Swap

Only after receiving our Swap did we post up photos of what we received and what we made

Both of these ideas I like.  Thanks for food for thought.  @Rossr, your gig for now, what direction would you like to take and when shall we start?  I suspect the first go round may only have a few participants, but more and more as time goes on and others see what is happening!

YinTx

Neat idea!  As I haven't carved anything yet - I'd like to try a couple things before jumping in though.  Wouldn't want to disappoint anyone ;)

1 hour ago, YinTx said:

I like the thought, but it could be a bit much for instance to make 11 wallet backs.  Selling at $100 each for tooled wallets, you are talking sending out $1100 worth of product for free. Taking 3-4 hours each to make, is an entire work week of labor.  (I get it some may be faster, but most of us are not)

Both of these ideas I like.  Thanks for food for thought.  @Rossr, your gig for now, what direction would you like to take and when shall we start?  I suspect the first go round may only have a few participants, but more and more as time goes on and others see what is happening!

YinTx

Ok @YinTx  I think we go with a coaster that is carved as a first project.   I will post my thoughts in a second post in this thread.and give finish line.  If everyone is ok with it we start and then go from there.    It appears we have

1 hour ago, Smartee said:

Neat idea!  As I haven't carved anything yet - I'd like to try a couple things before jumping in though.  Wouldn't want to disappoint anyone ;)

Smartee   Thats the whole thing if you have a swivel knife and some basic tools Give it a go.   All skill levels welcome.  No judging just helping each other and receiving something that someone else made.   As long as we try our best that is what counts!

18 hours ago, fredk said:

May I have a bit of your time please? I want to tell you of something and from that you may draw some ideas, or not.

Yonks ago I was a member of a polymer clay forum. Like this forum we had members all over the world but the HQ was in the US. I was the only male member btw.

About 3 or 4 times year we had a 'Swap'

We proposed, discussed and then voted for a subject for the Swap. Not all the members took part every time, those that did went away and made something in polymer clay to meet the subject. 

We then posted our creations to one member in the US along with some postage money. This member then sort of mixed up the creations and posted them out to the members who participated. Thus each of us got something made by someone else.

Subjects chosen were simple eg; food, dragons, sea creatures, and other things on which new techniques could be tried. Thus it was matter of each of interpreted the subject and how we created something but we were all working on the same subject

Fred  Appreciate the thoughts.  I would agree making 10 of something would be tough in this situation.  However great thoughts on voting !

LETS MAKE IT OFFICIAL

Here are the rules of this first go round.  

1.  Everyone makes a coaster.  You decide the size.   Each coaster must be carved in some form using swivel knife and stamps.  Have fun use your imagination.

2.  ALL SKILL LEVELS WELCOME.  This is open to anyone.  Beginner to Master.  If you are new.... great try something.  If you have been at it a while try something that will improve your skills.   Part of the point is to encourage Making!    Learn something and have fun.  And get the work of another maker for you to enjoy.   Remember its about the journey on this one!

3.  You agree to ship your finished item to someone else when done.  Obviously the cost of leather is on you and the cost of shipping.    Remember you are getting someone elses work at the end and they are doing the same!

4.  End Date JUNE 10th 2019.   Start anytime. 

On June 10th I will take anyone who participated and randomly assign who sends to whom.  Lets hold all pictures till  I let you know who gets what.  However as part of participating I ask that each person post their work after June 10th to this thread.   

I think we have 5 currently, Rossr, Yintx, Rockoboy, Smartee and Halojones.    Anyone can join long as they finish by June 10th.

DOES THIS WORK FOR EVERYONE?   SHOULD I START A NEW THREAD WITH THE FINAL RULES ABOVE or just keep this one??

Ross

For future consideration - It might be neat one time to do a multiple stage swap where you continue the work of the last person.

1. Each participant takes 3 pieces of tooling scrap of X size
    • Trace the same pattern on all 3, then carve the pattern(no tooling)
    • Each 3 get sent out to someone different, and each participant receives 3 different carvings
    • 2 week timeframe + 1 week shipping
  2. Review the carvings and write down feedback or things you learned
    • Tool each pattern based on your interpretation without guidance from original creator
    • again, each 3 get sent out to someone different, and each participant receives 3 different carvings
    • 4 week timeframe + 1 week shipping
  3. Review the carving/tooling writing down your feedback or things you learned
    • Dye/finish the 3 pieces how you see fit
    • Possibly send them out again to their final recipient for review, or just post the pictures and all of your notes from each step

This could force people out of their comfort zone for tooling, and also give a chance to review/learn from others' work at different stages.  Fairly intensive on time and shipping though.

I'm in!  This thread or a new one - doesn't matter!

Works for me :)

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:38 AM, Rossr said:

DOES THIS WORK FOR EVERYONE?

I am good to go anytime.

@andymanak some good ideas there, but maybe getting a little bit involved ... IMHO. Maybe we can keep things simple and see how things progress.

Happy Leatherworking everyone Have fun with this ...anyone else wants to join its open right till the end long as you complete by the end date!

Ross

Ok folks we are under the one month mark.  Still time to join in for anyone out there.    Hope you guys are thinking through some cool ideas!

Ross