Rossr

Leather work swap who would be interested?

Scary, but I'm in; looking forward to the lessons.  I get so much from this forum, so thank you to all who help us rookies.

Tammy

Edited by ColoradoGirl

1 hour ago, ColoradoGirl said:

Scary, but I'm in; looking forward to the lessons.  I get so much from this forum, so thank you to all who help us rookies.

Tammy

Nothing to be scared of!  we are all learning.  Lots of resources on this site and you tube etc.  If you get stuck shoot a post I'm sure someone will chime in to help. looking forward to seeing what you come up with

Ross

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:05 PM, Rossr said:

looking forward to seeing what you come up with

So, are we still waiting for final numbers to begin, or have we already commenced our 1st piece?

We

4 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

So, are we still waiting for final numbers to begin, or have we already commenced our 1st piece?

We are a go see a bit back the final rules etc.  

Edited by Rossr

4 minutes ago, Rossr said:

see a bit back the final rules etc.  

OK. I have seen that. Got some coasters cut out to make some marks on. I will get into them in the next week and send out the best one, when I get a name and address sometime after 10th-June-2019. 

Hey folks plenty of time to jump in yet.....17 days left to design and make a coaster for this swap!

On 5/23/2019 at 3:15 PM, Rossr said:

Hey folks plenty of time to jump in yet.....17 days left to design and make a coaster for this swap!

Thanks for the reminder.  Finally got mine carved and tooled... time for dye and finishing... 

YinTx

Damn, I missed this! Now I don't have time, will join after the summer if you go again.
Isn't this what the old leather 'trading cards' used to be for? Kinda like?

10 hours ago, robs456 said:

Damn, I missed this! Now I don't have time, will join after the summer if you go again.
Isn't this what the old leather 'trading cards' used to be for? Kinda like?

No you didn't miss out yet!   There is still time just get it done between now and the 10th of June and get in on this.....make it fun and enjoy it.     Yes I would say its something like the trading cards..

Ross

1 hour ago, Rossr said:

get it done between now and the 10th of June

Yeah No...I appreciate your enthusiasm for a cool project but this leatherworker can't make the deadline as there's no spare time.

Edited by robs456

Wish I had found this earlier, I can't get in this round, I'm in the midst of prepping everything for a class I'm teaching in late June. Good to see yer still at it Rossr.

Gettting down to the wire folks. Hipe u r wrapping it.  I have mine ready to go.  Not thrilled with the carving but happy overall

Keep.going gang. Looking forward to the pics after the tenth 

Ross

Last minute, but I would like to participate!

All ready to go, I will be able to post it on my return home, as I am currently in a camp site in Germany :) 

back home next week 

All ready to go, I will be able to post it on my return home, as I am currently in a camp site in Germany :) 

back home next week 

I may try the next round. I hate commitment though. Lol

8 hours ago, KAY9 said:

Last minute, but I would like to participate!

By all means make one up

3 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I may try the next round. I hate commitment though. Lol

Come on now you've got the weekend and this is a fun commitment !

5 hours ago, HaloJones said:

back home next week 

Wow that sounds like a blast enjoy the campout 

14 hours ago, Rossr said:

Gettting down to the wire folks. Hipe u r wrapping it.  I have mine ready to go.  Not thrilled with the carving but happy overall

Keep.going gang. Looking forward to the pics after the tenth 

Ross

It's done, where do I send it?

YinTx

7 hours ago, Rossr said:

Come on now you've got the weekend and this is a fun commitment !

I'm just not even in tooling gear. Especially not to rush and finish.

I haven't even started to try and do it yet, even though I have the tools.

Previous joint pain kept me from even thinking about developing that skill. 

The joint pain is much better than it was thanks to my current eating habits, but I haven't tried my hand at trying it again.

But, I will definitely consider it for next month.

Good luck everybody, and have fun.

Ok Folks Drum Roll please.........

Based on response on this thread here is the list of who to send to and receive from...if you did not complete please let me know and I will adjust the list.   The selection process was a arduous one involving slips of paper upside down on my desk and picking them up at random to build the list :) Please send a private message to your person to supply address etc.   Also please post your complete pictures on this thread.  I hope everyone had some fun and learned a thing or two.   Enjoy the work of others and remember how special it is to receive someone elses efforts celebrate that!!

Kay9 sends to Rockoboy

Rockoboy sends to Rossr

Rossr sends to Smartee

Smartee sends to HaloJones

HaloJones sends to ColoradoGirl

ColoradoGirl sends to Yintx

Yintx sends to Kay9

Thanks everyone and please post those pics!

Ross

Ok Folks Here is mine 

I chose the Oak leaf pattern out of Al Stohlman Projects and Designs book    I carved it in the leather and did some petal lifting which is tough to see in the lousy pics.   I then dyed the background black and the outside Brown.  I did try 2 different colors on the acorn of brown but upon adding the pecard leather dressing and then some beeswax and neatsfoot oil it darkened to the same color.  I chose to leave the leaves and stick alone so it stood out.    I also added a backing of oil tan leather and then double loop laced with brown calf skin.    The carving is ok and I still have so much to learn.    Depth of cut and proper impressions still elude me at times.  I did this one just by using a sray bottle to case the leather ....I have tried other ways in the past.    I am happy with the lacing and sure had fun doing this project!

20190610_091418.jpg

20190610_091430.jpg

Edited by Rossr

1 hour ago, Rossr said:

Ok Folks Here is mine 

Haha no surprise for the recipient then?

YinTx

P.S., well done.  went all out with the backing and braiding I see...didn't occur to me to do that...

2 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Haha no surprise for the recipient then?

I thought we were going to hold off posting finished pics until the item was received ...

2 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

I thought we were going to hold off posting finished pics until the item was received ...

Ok...I think I did jump the gun there.....my bad...guess I was excited. By all  means folks hold off on the pics till its gets sent if you like!!

Ross

Mine is finished & ready to mail in the morning. I will be sending to Rockoboy. 

P.S. The oak leaf coaster is beautiful Rossr.