Sign in to follow this  
sempersam

Too much torque?

I have a singer 111g156 that I've been modifying to meet my needs. Eventually I'll switch to a servo motor but for now it's a clutch motor(3450rpm).  I made a speed reducer for it. The motor pulley is a 2in, it drives a 10in pulley that then drops to a 3speed pulley that came off an old craftsman lathe it goes to a matching 3 spd pulley that is mated to the hand wheel on the machine.  I like my speed(s).. Now to the question,  can I create too much torque? I don't want to damage my machine? 

If Material is not to thick, for the Needle's length and plunge to make a proper stitch . Along with the material sewn is soft enough for your needle to pass threw .
Then No Not going to damage your machine . And machine is not over stressed with you adding more Torque LB/ft energy behind the needle plunge .

your ( Singer 111 ) , Having To much torque . .  look at it from the side of thought that every once in a while everyone is going to have a BAD Needle strike from deflection . The Needle meeting the ' immovable object ' your Dogs or Throat Plate . You cant get much more sudden abuse than that with the machines stitch cycle .
The damage to the Machine 99% of the time is only shattered/busted Needle . Also, with just shoving the Needles shaft rod Up, just knocked out of timing little bit .

Edited by nylonRigging

Without knowing the diameters of the first 3 speed pulley discs, and the diameters of the second 3 speed pulley discs..it is impossible to calculate..and thus impossible to say if you risk creating too much torque, or not , because to calculate the potential torque figures, both of these groups of variables have to be known.

Edited by mikesc

2 hours ago, mikesc said:

Without knowing the diameters of the first 3 speed pulley discs, and the diameters of the second 3 speed pulley discs..it is impossible to calculate..and thus impossible to say if you risk creating too much torque, or not , because to calculate the potential torque figures, both of these groups of variables have to be known.

3450rpm motor with 2 in pulley to 10 in pulley, then my choices are 4 to 2 in, 3.5 to 3 in, 3 to 3.5, or 2 to 4 in.. 

2 hours ago, nylonRigging said:

If Material is not to thick, for the Needle's length and plunge to make a proper stitch . Along with the material sewn is soft enough for your needle to pass threw .
Then No Not going to damage your machine . And machine is not over stressed with you adding more Torque LB/ft energy behind the needle plunge .

your ( Singer 111 ) , Having To much torque . .  look at it from the side of thought that every once in a while everyone is going to have a BAD Needle strike from deflection . The Needle meeting the ' immovable object ' your Dogs or Throat Plate . You cant get much more sudden abuse than that with the machines stitch cycle .
The damage to the Machine 99% of the time is only shattered/busted Needle . Also, with just shoving the Needles shaft rod Up, just knocked out of timing little bit .

the machine seems to run fine with this setup but the torque has most definitely increased. it has noticeably more power. I assumed it was okay but I have also been hesitant to put the machine though its paces since its ability far surpasses my skillset. thanks for the response I'll take her for a test ride this evening.

3 minutes ago, sempersam said:

the machine seems to run fine with this setup but the torque has most definitely increased. it has noticeably more power. I assumed it was okay but I have also been hesitant to put the machine though its paces since its ability far surpasses my skillset. thanks for the response I'll take her for a test ride this evening.

That good . All you need is a few hours behind it to get a feel for machine and get comfortable . Gear reduction is great especially if you marry it to a servo . I have it both ways servo and clutch motor on machines . I have a big Clutch electric and It slowed down with good torque from a dead stop , but only way to change speeds is changing out a different combo of pulley sizes  . Servo is most definitely give you a huge range of RPM choice to select and work with when sitting behind your machine .

3,450RPM is considered high speed sewing motor, 1,725RPM is considered low speed.  

If you put a 2" pulley on a 3,450 motor for a walking foot...it will still be too fast.  It will have very poor low end speed control.  It's not about 'power'.  A 1/3, 1/2 or 3/4 horse power motor are going to have the same level of control.  When we used to put only clutch motors on walking feet machines, when we made a mistake by putting the wrong speed motor it was very apparent.

On 4/26/2019 at 8:33 AM, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

3,450RPM is considered high speed sewing motor, 1,725RPM is considered low speed.  

If you put a 2" pulley on a 3,450 motor for a walking foot...it will still be too fast.  It will have very poor low end speed control.  It's not about 'power'.  A 1/3, 1/2 or 3/4 horse power motor are going to have the same level of control.  When we used to put only clutch motors on walking feet machines, when we made a mistake by putting the wrong speed motor it was very apparent.

I didn't know that.  I probably could have made a 1725rpm motor crawl, but if it had a low spd motor on it too begin with I probably wouldn't be able to convince myself to buy a servo motor when I redo the table next month. It turns out that this is the same model machine that my Dad learned to sew on in the Marine Corps. 

Just as another point of reference, based off of the speed chart, you can see that a 1725RPM motor with the correct handwheel and motor pulley combination can get up to and beyond maximum speed of a regular walking foot.  With the servo motors coming on strong this chart is becoming old news.

Speed Chart for Pulley Selections.pdf

On 4/29/2019 at 6:47 AM, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

Just as another point of reference, based off of the speed chart, you can see that a 1725RPM motor with the correct handwheel and motor pulley combination can get up to and beyond maximum speed of a regular walking foot.  With the servo motors coming on strong this chart is becoming old news.

Speed Chart for Pulley Selections.pdf

thanks for the chart, it will be very usefull.

On 4/24/2019 at 1:41 PM, sempersam said:

I have a singer 111g156 that I've been modifying to meet my needs. Eventually I'll switch to a servo motor but for now it's a clutch motor(3450rpm).  I made a speed reducer for it. The motor pulley is a 2in, it drives a 10in pulley that then drops to a 3speed pulley that came off an old craftsman lathe it goes to a matching 3 spd pulley that is mated to the hand wheel on the machine.  I like my speed(s).. Now to the question,  can I create too much torque? I don't want to damage my machine? 

Well I broke down and did it, I bought a servo motor and I am in love. Running it through my homemade speed reducer (3" pulley on servo into an 8" pulley, then a 2" pulley out to the stock handwheel), I can adjust from extremely slow to faster than I'll ever use and it has enough power to cleanly sew 2 layers of 12 oz veg tan cleanly. Now time to play with needle/ thread size. There seems to be several good posts on that topic already in the archives so time to go browse some more. Thank you all for the info/advise/encouragement