kevinkay

I want to restore a Singer 111W153

Yeah, I took most of it apart, cleaned and painted and about 95% back together.  

The tension release slide that I bought (was missing when came to me) is not the right part (or is just so poorly made - from China) its not bent correctly and not pushing the pin to release the tension disks. I am going to assume my machine is a 103 and look for #260141 or 264527.  AND figured out why my stitch length knob was not working/spinning correctly - the threads were bent (see photo).  I bent them back with a hammer and punch and smoothed them the best I could with a file it spins down to 7.  

VERY impressed with this machine, every part numbered, very logical design, all iron.  I am using rolled felt as oil wicks in the pivots (I read that tip on this forum) instead of buying multi sized Singer wicks.1.jpg.a47ab362335761518d0909bceb08eb1f.jpg

I am still going to need a table and motor

I think you all might have given up on me....but figure I should post for the next person that might benefit 

3.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by kevinkay

Very nice! I want to see it sewing 

I’m very interested in your project. I’m about to start fixing up a 112g141, once I’ve finished the current love job - a 96k41 that I painted pink ... with flowers! Oh and I just finished restoring a 307g2, in white, and with a glittery table top. I’ll add pictures now.

5038C5D7-427D-4C6B-BA87-F903BD70D9B6.jpeg

Edited by Mizzy

Yes I know I have both a knee lifter and foot pedal as I can’t figure out yet how to connect the foot control to the back on this 307g2. So it’s there ready, waiting. 

This is the 112g141 twin needle I’m about to start on. The needle bar needs replacing as the presser foot is welded on (?) and I want 1/4 inch spacing instead. One bobbin case opener is broken, and I’m not really sure if the machine works as it should at this stage. But it’s moving freely, albeit with a grating sound on hook rotations. So firstly I’m pulling the hook assembly apart to see if the bearings are shot. I’ve watched how-to clips about it on utube a few times so hopefully I can manage it!

AFB4AC3E-8309-4B59-9CD9-578C0ABE1B72.jpeg

Love that pink one, nice to see something different, the victorians often spent a fortune extra on making normal day items look nice rather than bland

Mizzy, those are gorgeous :)

KevinKay..sewing machines ( and rebuilds of them ) are always interesting. :)

Edited by mikesc
Corrected my "Yodish" :)

This old girl came up well too

88097E73-A61C-4E61-A300-D2D85DB25150.jpeg

Mizzy, you did a beautiful job on those machines! That pink one is really over-the-top!:lol:

I assume you're doing it just as a hobby?

This 111g156 is absolutely the best machine I’ve ever used, it ploughs through anything. I have the comprehensive military booklet for repairs if needed but I haven’t had to do anything yet. The 153w103 was a totally different story. Lots of fiddly work like changing the busted timing belt through the flywheel hole, timing the hook-to-needle, and numerous adaptions like removing a welded-on binding attachment. Hacksaw job that one hahaha.

Thanks to the amazingly helpful and highly knowledgeable guys on here,  and utube, I did it!

3C140D66-26AC-40AE-8E0F-B3CB4E06E756.jpeg

Thank you Dikman! Yes for a hobby, and I sell them occasionally so that I can buy more parts. But I also love sewing and prefer working with Singers dressed up nicely. I keep the 6 most precious ones in my bedroom (very tolerant husband who also lifts, welds, cuts table tops, routes hinge holes etc), so they have to look pretty. I’ve always made everything I could from simple clothes to leather projects and of course countless heavy duty repair work. 

Old Singers are simply gorgeous.

Thank you Chrisash, I’ll add another picture when she’s done. I’m currently resining the table top with lots of pink glitter. 

Beautiful machines :)

re your husband..he sounds like he might be related to my wife..there was a time I had seven industrial machines ( each on their tables ) in our living room, including a singer patcher on the treadle base that she regularly walked into, it is about twice her weight, hardly ever complained..just accepted them until I was able to build them an atelier..I still have one industrial and three domestic machines in the living room, and 7 computers, each with their own large monitor ..I think you and I got lucky in the "spousal draw" :)

Mikesc thank you. I also have some in the living room on individual tables - 5 actually. There’s several in the garage and about 10 loose heads floating around. 

My poor dear husband. He puts up with all this and still treats me like a queen.

3 hours ago, mikesc said:

I think you and I got lucky in the "spousal draw" :)

Definitely! My wife tolerates my various interests (obsessions?) but has firm views on what comes into the house!

should we start a new group "Singer/sewing machine Hoarding"  :)

The domestic machines are so much easier to blend in, unless you go with Mizzy's route and make your machines works of art!.   I always want to keep my machines "original" but did change this domestic Singer 223 cabinet to black and was "allowed" to keep it in the living room.

THANKS for jumping in - "If you want to go fast, go alone.  If you want to go far, go together".

58302637618__3AAA006E-D7F9-400A-B816-5A8063AAE6A6.JPG

Went to do the initial hook timing of the belt and the hook ended up 180 degrees away when the needle was in the lowest position.  Found this EXCELLENT timing diagram and took out the lower rod, realigned everything  using the "positioning screw" as the one that sits in the groove (Its confusing in the manuals/parts list which is "set" and which is "positioning" screw).  I still have a long way to go but got the hook to pick up the thread! 

http://mytripleone.blogspot.com

IMG_5736.jpg

Thank you for that link, great job!

My machine is forming stitches.

Not to undervalue everyones contributions but Uwe's instructional videos are FANTASTIC 

IMG_5776.jpg

On 6/24/2019 at 12:11 AM, Mizzy said:

This 111g156 is absolutely the best machine I’ve ever used, it ploughs through anything. I have the comprehensive military booklet for repairs if needed but I haven’t had to do anything yet. The 153w103 was a totally different story. Lots of fiddly work like changing the busted timing belt through the flywheel hole, timing the hook-to-needle, and numerous adaptions like removing a welded-on binding attachment. Hacksaw job that one hahaha.

Thanks to the amazingly helpful and highly knowledgeable guys on here,  and utube, I did it!

3C140D66-26AC-40AE-8E0F-B3CB4E06E756.jpeg

What a wonderful job you've done of that Singer! I've just restored the exact same model, however mine wasn't on the beautiful original table and the paint was almost all gone, plus it had gone rusty, so I painted it deep red.