ke6cvh

canvas backed leather new first leather project upcoming

Hello group,

I'm preparing for my first leather (sort of) project.  We have made some packs and want to try canvas backed leather.  Wiz already responded it can be done and thanks very very much Wiz for taking the time to mentor (elmer) me so far.  If this was a bigger panel should I use decorative stitching to secure it better to the canvas or just sew around the edges?  I'm thinking since this would be potentially the bottom and a little up the sides it'll only be necessary on the edges while giving me a cool look and added abrasion resistance.  The canvas backed belts I've seen on the internet almost look like there is a small piece of cord sewn into it as it's folded over.  Sounds like a really good pack strap.  Here is a picture I found the belt that seems to look best.  My thought is to use two layers of leather sewn together with the canvas in the middle of the pack strap and possibly folded over a cord on the inside edges of the canvas giving a layered look of leather back, canvas middle with cord inside edges, leather top all in reducing widths as sewn on.  Any ideas or comments like can I wax the canvas backing after sewing it all together without damaging the leather?  Best regards, Mike

CanvasLeatherBelt.png