RJinWA

WTK - Value of 'Auto-Soler' Shoe Buffer Machine

This belonged to my Dad who used it years ago in his boot repair shop. It's sat in my folks garage unused for years now. I am looking to sell it but unsure of value. It's an "Auto-Soler' brand & only has a serial#. Still works fine, just dirty. The only comparible machine I've found was on ebay for $1800(IIRC), but that's not been sold. Seemed high to me for a fairly simple machine. Thanks for any help.

4k7jw1.jpg

Edited by RJinWA

Where are you located? I have been looking at these machines for awhile now. And, the prices are kind of all over the place. If you want to make or repair shoes they are invaluable. But, not many people want to do that so it is totally a niche market. 

I have also seen them sitting on eBay not moving for all kinds of prices. But, they are hard to move and expensive to ship.

You will need to find someone local who really needs one to get anything out of it. 

There is one guy on eBay that has 10 different machines and best I can tell he has come all the way down to 2 grand for all of it, and it still won't sell. Because, you have to go to the Carolinas and load it yourself.

I have often wondered why knife makers aren't jumping on these machines?

Just my thoughts, good luck.

I'm located in E Wa State, near the Idaho border. Yeah, the one on ebay I'm sure will sit for a while. I did check out the buffing wheels & they're priced at $80-100 ea new, so there's so value right there w/ 4 of them(have some life left). I will be checking with some local shoe repair shops as well. 

Unfortunately shoe equipment is some of the hardest stuff to get rid of. It's only worth what somebody is willing to give you, which is usually a lot less than what it should be worth. I have seen these sell often at auctions for less than $50. You definitely have the right idea about going to your local shoe shops to see if they have a need or a lead. But I wouldn't expect to get much out of it. 

Don't get me wrong, this thing would be super useful for any leather worker that uses polish. 

Your ebay example is going to be sitting on that for a long time. They're asking the same price of a completely refurbished machine.
http://www.shoesystemsplus.com/Reconditioned-Stanley-Bostitch-Brush-Master_p_584.html

On 4/27/2019 at 6:38 AM, bikermutt07 said:

I have often wondered why knife makers aren't jumping on these machines?

Are you meaning for polishing blades? If so, most likely because the RPMs on this machine are too slow to be very effective on metal removal. They're a lot slower than a bench grinder.

7 hours ago, arashikage said:

Unfortunately shoe equipment is some of the hardest stuff to get rid of. It's only worth what somebody is willing to give you, which is usually a lot less than what it should be worth. I have seen these sell often at auctions for less than $50. You definitely have the right idea about going to your local shoe shops to see if they have a need or a lead. But I wouldn't expect to get much out of it. 

Don't get me wrong, this thing would be super useful for any leather worker that uses polish. 

Your ebay example is going to be sitting on that for a long time. They're asking the same price of a completely refurbished machine.
http://www.shoesystemsplus.com/Reconditioned-Stanley-Bostitch-Brush-Master_p_584.html

Are you meaning for polishing blades? If so, most likely because the RPMs on this machine are too slow to be very effective on metal removal. They're a lot slower than a bench grinder.

Oh, I don't have any first hand experience with either. Don't some of the shoe Sanders use a belt system?

I have seen what they get for belt grinders and man them things are expensive. 

Even if the shoe machines are set up slower, couldn't you manipulate some pulleys?

I don't know, I'm just daydreaming out loud.

4 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Oh, I don't have any first hand experience with either. Don't some of the shoe Sanders use a belt system?

I have seen what they get for belt grinders and man them things are expensive. 

Even if the shoe machines are set up slower, couldn't you manipulate some pulleys?

I don't know, I'm just daydreaming out loud.

You're correct. The sanding portion of the finisher users sanding belts. But the exposed part is usually just where the contact wheel is. You don't get the exposed belt and flexibility like you would on a belt grinder. 

In theory you could swap pulleys. Like my motto when I ran sound, "with enough adapters, I can make anything work!"  I think you can even get the stitched fabric wheels that you load buffing compound on for most finishers. 

36 minutes ago, arashikage said:

You're correct. The sanding portion of the finisher users sanding belts. But the exposed part is usually just where the contact wheel is. You don't get the exposed belt and flexibility like you would on a belt grinder. 

In theory you could swap pulleys. Like my motto when I ran sound, "with enough adapters, I can make anything work!"  I think you can even get the stitched fabric wheels that you load buffing compound on for most finishers. 

Interesting information, thanks. I however, don't need another part-time hobby. The few I have are plenty expensive enough.

But, it's always fun to daydream.

Edited by bikermutt07