JC2019

Are nails supposed to be left when attaching the heel?

I am having a hard time finding information on this,  I own "Handmade shoes for men" by Ullmann  and have tried to see this technique on the videos online. 

As far as I can tell, the back part of the sole, the heel is attached with nails but then they can be seen when it's all finished? Wouldn't those be at risk of scratching hardwood floors if the sole wears down? Or am I missing something? I am very new so I am probably missing something.

Thanks

On shoes I've re-heeled I've nailed from the inside into the heel block then the interior in-sole covers the nail heads, even tho they are slightly countersunk into the sole material

16 hours ago, JC2019 said:

As far as I can tell, the back part of the sole, the heel is attached with nails but then they can be seen when it's all finished? Wouldn't those be at risk of scratching hardwood floors if the sole wears down? Or am I missing something? I am very new so I am probably missing something.

The heels blocks are attached by nails from the inside but these are not long enough to be seen from the outside. Mostly they have a rubber heel attached on the bottom if they are stacked leather and such but yes as they wear they could possibly mark a hardwood floor if they were to wear them inside. The damage though would be significantly worse if wearing a stiletto heel in most cases.

If you are referring to decorative nails like on the Florsheim v cleat shoes, then yes they could easily scratch hardwood.

Edited by bikermutt07

Ah okay, thanks guys. I see now.