YinTx

PONY snap setter: Dies and Anvils?

I have an old Pony snap setter, at least that is what I think it is -  looks just like the one in the photo (not mine). My question is, has anyone used one of these, and does anyone know where to get the dies and anvils that go with it to set snaps or grommets?  Seems a bit different to me, as the bottom "anvil" section is on a spring and moves down when you pull the lever down.  Doesn't seem like it would impart much force on a snap or rivet.  I've never seen one of these in use, so I am quite curious.  I'd like to put it to work, but I don't have any parts for it, etc.  Thanks in advance for help and advice!

YinTx

s-l1600-15.thumb.jpg.99b4a2f92f84677e79c599ba495731b1.jpg

It looks like an old bench top riveter to me.(?). You would put the rivet down in the bottom tube, head down, and the anvil was on top.  The anvils were not splash anvils, and did only a mediocre job of setting the rivets, at best.

Thank you for that reply, it is what I was worried about.  I want to get a decent snap setter, but it looks like really you need two for any kind of efficient production work so you aren't constantly removing and replacing the die/anvils for top/bottom snaps.  Tandy's is $130, and seems a bit jicky with the bolt to hold in the dies, which you have to buy separately.  Any recommendations on what would be a good route to go without breaking the bank just to set snaps?  I'm tired of wrecking them with the hammer method.

YinTx

I still use the hand tools setters for snaps.  I don't set many, but I ruin about twice as many as I set.  I think it's as much the quality of the snaps as anything, that causes the setting failure.  They're made from such thin gauge metal, they crumple easily.

3 hours ago, YinTx said:

Thank you for that reply, it is what I was worried about.  I want to get a decent snap setter, but it looks like really you need two for any kind of efficient production work so you aren't constantly removing and replacing the die/anvils for top/bottom snaps.  Tandy's is $130, and seems a bit jicky with the bolt to hold in the dies, which you have to buy separately.  Any recommendations on what would be a good route to go without breaking the bank just to set snaps?  I'm tired of wrecking them with the hammer method.

YinTx

Just a quick point- Sometimes having room under the anvil part to slide a product like a pouch or handbag it helps if there is room to do so. Some presses don't allow much for this. I even grind some away at times. This tandy one does not look to bad but there are a lot of cheap ebay ones that can be got cheaper ass well.

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/craftool-hand-press

Using a press will give good results normally but only if the snaps are good as well.In my experience with the tandy segma style snaps over several years now they are NO good. The 4 holes in the receiving (female) side do not line up with each other and machine or not, they will not go down into their caps straight. 

Have a look on the other side where the round disk is and take the lid off, you might have the dies in there??

1224720369_s-l1600(1).jpg.664fe0ac7fd90ccd6bbb394512c4bf90.jpg

Edited by jimi

2 hours ago, jimi said:

Have a look on the other side where the round disk is and take the lid off, you might have the dies in there??

LMAO.  I saw that cap and just assumed it was a grease cap, was trying to figure out what the heck it was greasing since there aren't any moving bits anywhere near it.  I just took it off, and sadly, empty space staring back at me.  Thanks for that tho!

13 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

only if the snaps are good as well.

I have tried at least half a dozen different suppliers of what I am assuming are different manufacturer's of snaps, and have struggled with all of them.  I had posted a question on this recently, and most folks suggested using a press to help with my issues of bending posts and flattening caps, and snaps that won't close and won't hold, as well as trying to gently tap the tools while swiveling about the axis.  I thought I'd give the press a try.  I think one of the few brands I haven't tried is pull the dot and CS Osborne's snaps.  Getting tired of buying bags of 100+ and being unhappy with the results.  Any suggestions on good snaps?

YinTx

2 hours ago, YinTx said:

LMAO.  I saw that cap and just assumed it was a grease cap, was trying to figure out what the heck it was greasing since there aren't any moving bits anywhere near it.  I just took it off, and sadly, empty space staring back at me.  Thanks for that tho!

I have tried at least half a dozen different suppliers of what I am assuming are different manufacturer's of snaps, and have struggled with all of them.  I had posted a question on this recently, and most folks suggested using a press to help with my issues of bending posts and flattening caps, and snaps that won't close and won't hold, as well as trying to gently tap the tools while swiveling about the axis.  I thought I'd give the press a try.  I think one of the few brands I haven't tried is pull the dot and CS Osborne's snaps.  Getting tired of buying bags of 100+ and being unhappy with the results.  Any suggestions on good snaps?

YinTx

Is it segma type snaps you are wanting? After all the trouble I had with the tandy ones (which were good about 5 years ago) I had to change to another type which meant to an unusual set of dies as well. That supplier is getting erratic and is here in Aus so I cant say try there. My research at the time was to go with names of the others you mentioned but at the time the cost was high and I would need to commit to very large quantities to make it worth the freight. I was going to have a try with OTB and the buckle guy to test out as well. As I mentioned if the female part does not have the holes at even distances down when they are pressed into shape they will not work with any equipment. The male section on the tandy ones also does not have the bulge the locks it in as well they used to. The main reason I used to get them was because of the capped male side in black and brown colours but now I have to paint my own and use the stud part off of a speedy rivet. (major PAIN in the A) If I remember rightly the pull the dot ones were available with a capped male head and if you need to get some and they work good you can count me in for a few thousand most likely. The ones I am thinking of were supposed to made in the USA????

I bought the Barry King setters in line 20 and 24 from maker supply. Pairing those with solid brass from buckle guy seems the way to go. I haven't had them long so I can't say much about the system.

But, the setters and snaps made for a fine looking snap.

On 4/28/2019 at 5:32 PM, RockyAussie said:

Is it segma type snaps you are wanting

I referred to those as glove snaps, which I don't use very often.  Mostly I think line 20 snaps, and an occasional line 24.  If I get my hands on some proper pull the dots, I'll let you know how it goes.  If you want, I can drop a few samples in an envelope for you of the snaps I have, and you can make your own judgement on those without having to buy large quantities.

22 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

solid brass from buckle guy seems the way to go

Have any photos?  I've preferred the silver color, but don't like the fact they are plated.  Would like to find solid stainless, but I think it might be a pipe dream.

YinTx

8 hours ago, YinTx said:

I referred to those as glove snaps, which I don't use very often.  Mostly I think line 20 snaps, and an occasional line 24.  If I get my hands on some proper pull the dots, I'll let you know how it goes.  If you want, I can drop a few samples in an envelope for you of the snaps I have, and you can make your own judgement on those without having to buy large quantities.

Have any photos?  I've preferred the silver color, but don't like the fact they are plated.  Would like to find solid stainless, but I think it might be a pipe dream.

YinTx

Tandy did make some stainless. I found them very difficult to set and they were really pricey. 

Plated brass is probably better than plated pot metal. 

I got frustrated with never having matching hardware. I would have this part in black chrome and that part in antique brass, etc, etc, etc...

So, I just decided to start doing everything I can in solid brass. It can antique over time. 

Just my thoughts.

Sorry, no pictures as of right now. I just started the process of switching over.

As a gee whiz, Dot (0f Pull-the-Dot) also makes regular snaps. Both have been good quality for my use. Also have several colors. You may find the pull-the-dot type may not work in some applications as well as a regular one, but to each his own. Ohio Travel Bag has a good selection.

Frog Jelly Leather sells stainless snaps in line 20 and 24. Line 24 snaps in stainless are easy to find as most marine upholstery feature them. My advice on setting snaps is to buy the red Tandy press and dies. Expensive but worth it. Does a professional job nearly every time. Can't imagine going back to setting by hand. 

I have purchased a snap and rivet setting tool, and I plan to review it here when I get my learning curve sorted out.  Suffice to say, yes, if you are setting these things, get a setting press, much better results and faster.

@blue duck, I'll check out the pull the dot regular snaps as well.

@Leatherbutt, thanks for the stainless snap source pointer, I should have thought of that!

YinTx

The Barry king snap sitters are wonderful, struggled with all brands of snaps prior, the king setter cured 95% of the problems and they are very reasonable about $30 each.  Hope this helps