kayw

knurling tool

I am looking for a knurling tool to use on my stamping tools that I have inherited or made from stainless steel bolts and nails.  

Hi

Your profile does not mention where you are, if you’re downunder you can get knurling tools from Machiney House (Hare & Forbes), Amazon has them or just about any machine tool supplies will have a range to suit anything from a small hobby lathe up.

As you mention making tools from stainless steel I imagine you’ve already discovered how SS work hardens, I’ve only ever used a knurling tool on mild steel, I would be very interested to hear your experience knurling stainless when you get going.

Mark

OP is in the Mesa, Arizona, 85201 area according to the IP address.

@kayw It's a good idea to put your location  in your profile so people can provide answers and helps relative to your location in the solar system.

Tom

Thanks to you both  Mark and Tom.  Yes, I do live in Mesa, Arizona .  I posted back in 2012 about knurling but then I got distracted by some of my other hobbies and I am spending more time in my leatherwork now thanks to grand kids and others.  I have also been getting my sewing machines back up and running again.  Have a Luberto #9 harness stitcher and a Juki clone.  I have gotten almost as much fun out of making stamping tools as in my leather work.  One of my fun activities is to find old machetes from South America or elsewhere and make scabbards for them.  I usually give them away to friends.  KayW

@kayw If you are trying to knurl for a grip you may try a simple file and crosshatching- stainless by itself depending on grade and hardness may chew up the knurling tool- Most I have made in the shop are 1080 or 1095 and case hardened then tempered back to RC 58- these wouldnt last long on any serious turns or knurling on 440 or 308 with any hardness in them. If you have a lathe a "Scissor" style knurling tool is reccomended versus the standard 2 wheel push- less stress on the toolpost/crosslide and less chance of damaging the punch shaft/bending it

An option for the files is to get a "gunsmith checkering file" and DIY it- but these little guys are expensive as well. You can get a barette file, triangle and a chainsaw file and create quite a pattern set from these with a bit of time.

Easy mans' lathe for marking round shank tooling:

1. chuck it in your drill and sharpie mark out the area for the "grip"  (just hit the trigger and draw/blacken the area)
  2. lock the trigger on and push the file edge across the sharpie mark- poof! your first score line
  3. mark out your pattern and keep the files moving (dont let them sit and load up in one spot)
  4. Use triangle and circular to make round/angular grooves in pattern of choice- repeat that pattern on ALL your tools (your pattern will identify YOUR tools should one "walk" away at a show or jump in a students pocket)
  5. wipe off the sharpie- be sure of your grip and enjoy! (some folks put different enamel paints in a the grooves to identify specific sets or groupings)
  6. dont forget to file a flat on the "Bottom" side of patterns so you know its orientation by glancing at it- before you hit it! 

Hope this may give you an idea- if you are crafty enough to make those stamps- this is a simple project to boot! Be safe and as always- at peace KayW! Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out!

Edited by SilverForgeStudio
mispellings- not enough coffee!

^^^^What he said :)
..with an additional.. you could always start out using threaded bar..which will make all of that unnecessary..the "grip" will be "built in"..
Too "harsh" on the fingers ? use "heat shrink fit" * for cables ..

*Or whatever it is called where you are ..

thanks to you guys for these good ideas.  I'll let you know how I come out!   KayW