DavidMillsSaddlery

What is the singer equivalent to the Juki 441?

U From what I can see the 45K is close to it… But all I’ve seen is a 45K 76, which has no feeding? What else is out there? 

Edited by turbotexas

Most 45's will only sew to 3/8",45K53 was their harness stitcher,it has feed dogs that pull the leather back & sewed to 1/2".

I am aware of no machines equivalent to the Juki 441, apart from the Seiko CH series and the Adler 969, which will be similar or higher price than a real Juki 441.

Singer 45Ks are great machines but a couple of generations of technology behind the 441, and a smaller capacity besides. Most models had a feed but it was almost always drop-feed only. Some later models had a non-driven snapping "walking" foot in addition to the feed dog. Most models did not have reverse. In cylinder-bed format there most common subclass was the 45K21 -- drop-feed, fixed foot, no reverse. Same machine with a wheel presser was the 45K25. Sews maybe a half inch thickness with max thread thickness around v346/TKT8/5-cord. CB2500/GA-5 is a current-production machine directly descended from the 45K: https://www.tolindsewmach.com/cb2500.html.

Singer stopped manufacturing industrials in the late 60s or early 70s I think and started rebadging Seikos and Adlers. Adler had been cloning the 45K as the klasse 4 (flat-bed) and 5 (cylinder-bed), stopping only when the factory got flattened by the USAAF and RAF. Post-war they brought out the 104 and 105, gradually improving the design with new technologies like reverse as standard and more positive feed systems. Klasse 204 and 205 came out to supercede the 104 and 105 in the late 1980s (around the same time as Juki brought out their 441) and production only stopped a few years ago.

Edited by Matt S

I think the nearest would have been the Singer 45B.here is a list of them and what they had. nearest would have been one with needle feed...

http://www.industrialsewmachine.com/webdoc1/singer/45b.htm

And here is one of the 45A class with normal wheel feed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Singer-45A93-Cylinder-Arm-Wheel-Feed-Heavy-Duty-Industrial-Sewing-Machine/273826074569?hash=item3fc14e4fc9:g:RbkAAOSwySlaNEZn

Edited by jimi

Well I was hoping to find something between my 153W103 and my monstrous 97 Dash 10!

54 minutes ago, turbotexas said:

Well I was hoping to find something between my 153W103 and my monstrous 97 Dash 10!

Well the 45K fits dead in that gap... but if you want something with more bells and whistles you might have to look at Adler, Seiko or Juki.

I'm jealous of your 97-10!

1 hour ago, Matt S said:

Well the 45K fits dead in that gap... but if you want something with more bells and whistles you might have to look at Adler, Seiko or Juki.

I'm jealous of your 97-10!

I love it!