GregorVolk

Pfaff 1245 Thread jam

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Pfaff 1245, cleaned it, timed it but got a jam when accidentally leaving a piece of the upper thread in the needle while winding a bobbin. The clutch kicked in when I realised I have great amount of thread under the hook.

From then on I keep getting a thread jam every time I try to sew/make a stitch. I am guessing the bobbin finger position has changed, but I'm not very sure. There are several threads coming out of the feed dog when I cut the thread.

Can somebody please help me out? :)

There is a video of the situation I have: https://youtu.be/f_QmGDhoQNU If you need any additional info please let me know.
Regards,
Gregor

Gregor I clicked on the link to your video. I got a message that it was unavailable.

kgg

kgg, thank you, I made the video public

1 hour ago, kgg said:

Gregor I clicked on the link to your video. I got a message that it was unavailable.

kgg

Kgg, thank you, I made the video public.

Did it pull up the bobbin thread ok?

Edited by CowboyBob

9 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

Did it pull up the bobbin thread ok?

not really, I had some issues getting it up through the feed dog as well.

Since we cann't see what is happening under the bottom feed dog cover plate I would take off the cover plate. Then very slowly hand wheel it through a cycle to see what the bobbin case is jamming up against without the top thread in the needle. What size of thread are you using?

kgg

I would spend a few minutes trying to rule out a thread problem first.  Thread stand and threading path look good?

Any thread caught in the bobbin case area?    

Did it get knocked out of time again with the thread jam? 

9 hours ago, kgg said:

Since we cann't see what is happening under the bottom feed dog cover plate I would take off the cover plate. Then very slowly hand wheel it through a cycle to see what the bobbin case is jamming up against without the top thread in the needle. What size of thread are you using?

kgg

I'll make another video without the feed dog plate. I am using Tex 135 and 92 threads, for this video I used a 135 thread. 

9 hours ago, Pintodeluxe said:

I would spend a few minutes trying to rule out a thread problem first.  Thread stand and threading path look good?

Any thread caught in the bobbin case area?    

Did it get knocked out of time again with the thread jam? 

Thread stand and threading path are both ok. Looks like the thread gets caught in the groove under the feed dog plate where the bobbin and the plate meet. Maybe it got knocked out of time again. I will re-time it today and hopefully sort the thread problem, sharing my conclusions with you.

Gregor what model is your machine? The reason I ask is the max size thread for BN is V69 (Tex 70, Tkt 40 ) with a max needle size of 16 (100) while the CN max thread is V138 (Tex 135, Tkt 20) with a max needle of 22 (140). Could it be that there isn't enough clearance for V138 top and bottom thread causing the machine to jam on this thread combination as well as a timing problem? I would check the timing, the model of the machine and then try it with V69 (Tex 70) top and bottom. If V69 (Tex 70) works good then I would try various thread combinations. You may find that with V138 top thread you may have to use V69 (Tex 70) or V92 (Tex 90) in the bobbin. 

kgg

On 4/30/2019 at 2:12 PM, kgg said:

Gregor what model is your machine? The reason I ask is the max size thread for BN is V69 (Tex 70, Tkt 40 ) with a max needle size of 16 (100) while the CN max thread is V138 (Tex 135, Tkt 20) with a max needle of 22 (140). Could it be that there isn't enough clearance for V138 top and bottom thread causing the machine to jam on this thread combination as well as a timing problem? I would check the timing, the model of the machine and then try it with V69 (Tex 70) top and bottom. If V69 (Tex 70) works good then I would try various thread combinations. You may find that with V138 top thread you may have to use V69 (Tex 70) or V92 (Tex 90) in the bobbin. 

kgg

Kgg, thank you for your advice. It is the CN model and takes Tex 135 thread top and bottom as well as 140 needle (and up to 180). My main thread is Tex 70 top and bottom and 140 size needle.

So the problem was the machine was knocked out of time because of the thread jam and clutch engagement. I timed it again, everything works perfectly now. Thank you all for you intervention. One last question: does anybody among you have service (or/and user) manual for Pfaff 1245-706/47?

Thank you all for help,

Gregor 

6 hours ago, GregorVolk said:

Kgg, thank you for your advice. It is the CN model and takes Tex 135 thread top and bottom as well as 140 needle (and up to 180). My main thread is Tex 70 top and bottom and 140 size needle.

So the problem was the machine was knocked out of time because of the thread jam and clutch engagement. I timed it again, everything works perfectly now. Thank you all for you intervention. One last question: does anybody among you have service (or/and user) manual for Pfaff 1245-706/47?

Thank you all for help,

Gregor 

A #140 needle is WAY too big for T70 thread. I recommend using a #110 needle with that thread size.

8 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

A #140 needle is WAY too big for T70 thread. I recommend using a #110 needle with that thread size.

Thank you, Wizcrafts. Didn't know that, it seemed like a good combo. I will try it out.