Sign in to follow this  
coma44

Old Singer on craigs list

Is this old machine anything that is serviceable for leather work now a days? If so I may take a ride up there to get it, only about 2 hours from home.

https://vermont.craigslist.org/atq/d/randolph-singer-29-4-sewing-mac/6867585104.html..

https://vermont.craigslist.org/atq/d/randolph-singer-29-4-sewing-mac/6867585104.html 

Singer 29-4.jpg

Edited by coma44
Added pic

I would be more concerned with parts being available and how hard the machine was run with the patched together motor / reduction gearing that was placed bolted onto it. The silver cover for the belt to me actually looks like it was from a meat slicer.

kgg

Short arm Singer 29K patcher that appears to have been motorised..for $200.00
I'd be there in a heartbeat..with cash..
Take a piece of leather 3 oz see if it stitches, and what are the minimum number of stitches to the inch you can get it to do..the more worn they are the higher the number per inch as the foot doesn't advance so far with age..Not used for sewing long straight lines, but incredibly useful to have around.. When you have it..post pictures of what is going on with what looks like "motorisation"..The aluminium guard and gubbins..

College sewing UK has almost all the parts..apart from I think 'rack" parts.

Edited by mikesc

17 minutes ago, kgg said:

I would be more concerned with parts being available and how hard the machine was run with the patched together motor / reduction gearing that was placed bolted onto it. The silver cover for the belt to me actually looks like it was from a meat slicer.

kgg

I was wondering the same thing for parts but Mikesc says that the UK guys stock most all the parts that would be helpful . I am also a Prototype Machinist and can reverse engineer just about anything, so figured information about it may be a bigger issue. guessing there is no manuals kicking around now

14 minutes ago, mikesc said:

Short arm Singer 29K patcher that appears to have been motorised..for $200.00
I'd be there in a heartbeat..with cash..
Take a piece of leather 3 oz see if it stitches, and what are the minimum number of stitches to the inch you can get it to do..the more worn they are the higher the number per inch as the foot doesn't advance so far with age..Not used for sewing long straight lines, but incredibly useful to have around.. When you have it..post pictures of what is going on with what looks like "motorisation"..The aluminium guard and gubbins..

College sewing UK has almost all the parts..apart from I think 'rack" parts.

I think I will do just that as I have some light scraps kicking around and some 5-6 ounce too....Thinking since it has been altered might be a good piece to make custom to my use.....I could make a table and guide system for straight lines if the old girl works well

And what do you know there is a printed manual still around 

http://sewingmanuals.net/singer-294-industrial-sewing-machine-man.html

Hey this may turn into something after all

manual.jpg

This page has all the parts that College Sewing UK carry for the 29K models, the page is showing 29K71, but, scroll around and you'll find many parts that are 29K "generic" and some such as "small hook" and "bell crank" ( frequently the hooks and the bellcranks are worn ) which will fit the 29K-4..

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/store/Singer29K,29USewingMachineParts

I might ( cannot remember ) have a manual in pdf form on another computer, but someone else here ( lot of us have one of these machines in our "collections" ) is bound to have both the operators manual and the parts manual in pdf, that they can upload...I have an original paper operators manual, ( that I have never scanned to pdf ) but it is in French.

Edited by mikesc

I think you should save your money for a newer model (29k71,72,73 or 171,172,173) and that way if you do have to change parts then you know there available. The parts from college sewing are mainly for the 29k71 etc... newer models and i think you will find they will not fit your machine unless it has the same part number. 

Edited by jimi

19 minutes ago, jimi said:

I think you should save your money for a newer model (29k71,72,73 or 171,172,173) and that way if you do have to change parts then you know there available. The parts from college sewing are mainly for the 29k171 etc... newer models and i think you will find they will not fit your machine unless it has the same part number. 

Good point, and when I go look at the machine I will see if I can determine how worn it is, if it is worn out then no need to consider it, I have seen them going for he same model on ebay for 600$......worst case if it fails after a short time parts might be worth the 200 bucks

Also found this on the signer sight, the parts list for that model. Before I take the ride north I will check what is available for cross reference to the newer 29-k machines

29-4 parts list.pdf

Also if any one else has this model I found this sight 

http://www.horsenharness.com/SINGER.html

Amish folks selling parts for this machine looks like they have most everything there

There we differ Jimi, :)I'd take an existent working 29K4 at $200.00 and a couple of hours drive away over a " at some time in the future having a 29K71 ( in what condition? ) show up ( where? ) and at what price ? ..probably at least double the cost if working order..Buying a working 29K4 for $200.00 "now" would not stop me buying a 29K71 later, if one became available, the 29K4 could be sold easily enough ( IMO ) at a profit..

But..I like them ( must be my steampunk gene ;)..last year I just missed buying 5( five ) 29K "somethings" and a couple of Adlers ( working ) as a "lot" less than 25km from me ..They were asking €200.00 the "lot"..The guy selling them ( his grandfather who had 7 shoe repair shops ) had just died and they were "clearing out" to avoid paying rent for another year on each shop ) said someone was "already interested"..( you bet !! ) and would be arriving the next day ( obviously a dealer ) I left my number, never heard back..

Edited by mikesc

47 minutes ago, coma44 said:

Amish folks selling parts for this machine looks like they have most everything there

FWIW they are not Amish.

Edited by CowboyBob

1 minute ago, CowboyBob said:

Ok fair enough

I found the idea of Amish with a website somewhat incongruous..but..thought discretion was probably the better part of valour ;)

35 minutes ago, mikesc said:

I found the idea of Amish with a website somewhat incongruous..but..thought discretion was probably the better part of valour ;)

I should have said they are servicing the Amish, and some Amish have started to use the web. This is an Amish Store in upstate NY that we buy much of our food supplies from when we are out that way for Salmon fishing in the fall. http://sharpsbulkfoods.com/

1 hour ago, coma44 said:

I have 4 of these which 3 are restored and parts I got were out of UK  https://www.sew-europe.co.uk/ found them easy to deal with unless something serious is broken most parts are avaiable.The 3 I have restored all had tension issues which when I pulled the head apart the needle bar tension spring had broken a real easy fix.

Others on the forum in the past have stated his prices are through the roof and all secondand parts

I can only suggest try it and see how well it sews and due to its age dont overload it with silly thickness leather, it was designed forboot leathers

You did not say if it also had the base unit, thats worth £200 on its own

You can also make a wooden surface to make it a flat machine

5 hours ago, coma44 said:

Is this old machine anything that is serviceable for leather work now a days? If so I may take a ride up there to get it, only about 2 hours from home.

https://vermont.craigslist.org/atq/d/randolph-singer-29-4-sewing-mac/6867585104.html..

https://vermont.craigslist.org/atq/d/randolph-singer-29-4-sewing-mac/6867585104.html 

Singer 29-4.jpg

Hi there under all that motorised framework should be a bronze coloured tag with what model it is e.g 29 - 4 or 29k ?? I have 2 x 29k58 and a 29 k 71 and  most parts are interchangeable from what I have noticed ,but if you fix one part generally other parts attached will also need replacing e.g I replaced needle bar and had to also get new piston joint and feet to fit new needle bar as they are just slightly fatter or differt attachment threads (pistion joint ).Awesome wee machines they are though I would take motor away ,they tend to wear out quicker .

9 minutes ago, chrisash said:

Others on the forum in the past have stated his prices are through the roof and all secondand parts

I can only suggest try it and see how well it sews and due to its age dont overload it with silly thickness leather, it was designed forboot leathers

You did not say if it also had the base unit, thats worth £200 on its own

You can also make a wooden surface to make it a flat machine

It shows the base unit in the pictures. So guess it has it as part of the deal. I am going to call the person on the way home from work to get details and see how much they know about the machine. And yea making a detachable table would be in order to expand the use of the machine past original design.

Edited by coma44

Never got in touch with the guy who had this guess it is gone