coma44

Some what of a successful practice saddle stich.

Iam still a complete newbie and this whole learning how to saddle stitch was kicking my arse.  Since I made the dedicated work space last weekend I have been able to much more effectively spend time on the projects and it has sparked more intest on my part. This is so far my best effort at doing the saddle stitch as shown in the videos and in AL Stolmans book. I did screw up a few stitches and I should have started with the knot on the flesh side but once I saw it I was already 5 stitches in and decided just keep practicing and not worry about that for this run.  Let me know what you think I want to learn correctly so bad habits are not my standard thought process.

Thanks for looking and any suggestions 59243928_10214328320709592_3202765255885 

Looks like you used some heavy thread for that stitch length, maybe try again with a lighter thread to see how that changes the appearance. Overall, I think it looks OK.

Just remember to ALWAYS stitch with the exact same order of needle thru the leather, second needle thru at the same point of the hole and if the second needle comes thru and looped by the 1st thread correctly, you will have a knot in the centre of the hole, which assists with the look.

2 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Looks like you used some heavy thread for that stitch length, maybe try again with a lighter thread to see how that changes the appearance. Overall, I think it looks OK.

Just remember to ALWAYS stitch with the exact same order of needle thru the leather, second needle thru at the same point of the hole and if the second needle comes thru and looped by the 1st thread correctly, you will have a knot in the centre of the hole, which assists with the look.

yea I used .8 mill thread and the irons are 6 stitch per inch. Might go to .6 mill thread and or 5 stitch per inch irons. Not sure what would be best. I thought it looked crowded and knew I had to make a change. right now just trying to get consistent and smoother with my moves. I also did the Stolman method (or tried to) using the  two needles on the loop of thread so there is 4 threads passing thru the holes. I used Tiger thread and that was much nicer than the Tandy thread or the Maine waxed thread I tried so far. To you what would be better going down to the .6 thread or the irons?   thanks for any input.

Edited by coma44

I use 0.6mm thread for 3.0mm stitching chisels, and 1.0mm thread for heavy duty work on 4.0mm stitching chisels. I found the 3.0mm stitching with 1.0mm thread to be way to big as expected, and the 0.6mm thread at 4.0mm stitching to be ok. I usually overbuild everything, so I usually go with the heavy thread for strength on the 4.0mm stitching.

Some thread I have, but not all, is waxed Ritza Tiger Thread. The cheap and nasty Chinese thread is all 1.0mm and I have some linen thread that came to me in a job-lot, but I am unsure of the thickness.

I have used an embroidery thread called Gutterman Topstitch, which I believe is significantly thinner than 0.6mm. That was only used for an inlay, so no strength required.

I am looking at buying some 5.0mm or 6.0mm stitching chisels, but not something I have a lot of need for, so the thought is still percolating at the moment. I am guessing I will be using 1.0mm thread for the longer stitches.

You will, soon I hope, find what suits you

I have tried 0,6mm Ritza/Tiger thread, but I don't like the way it handles, I prefer linen

For most of my work I have settled on - stitching chisels with 4mm spacing, though sometimes I do extra work with an awl; John James size 002 needles, JJ product code L3912; a quality linen thread like Somac or Fil au Chinois, size 18/3

Search YouTube for Ian Atkinson/Leodis Leather and Nigel Armitage. They both produce lots of videos on leatherwork, including saddle stitching

On 5/4/2019 at 1:56 PM, zuludog said:

You will, soon I hope, find what suits you

I have tried 0,6mm Ritza/Tiger thread, but I don't like the way it handles, I prefer linen

For most of my work I have settled on - stitching chisels with 4mm spacing, though sometimes I do extra work with an awl; John James size 002 needles, JJ product code L3912; a quality linen thread like Somac or Fil au Chinois, size 18/3

Search YouTube for Ian Atkinson/Leodis Leather and Nigel Armitage. They both produce lots of videos on leatherwork, including saddle stitching

thanks I have ordered some lighter threat to try and I had watche some of Ian's videos but will watch again. Have only watche the first stitching video of Nigel and need to watch it again as well.