BMH

Leather shoe addict getting started on leather working

Hi all, 
I am completely new to leather working. I mean, kind of. I have a fair amount of knowledge when it comes to leather shoes. From construction to care, patina and so on. Btw, it's a shame to see that traditional cobblers are pretty much nonexistent in the US. It's a fine craft and it's really sad to see it disappear from a country that once was very active in the industry. at the same time the traditional shoe industry in the US is also pretty much dead, so I guess it's not really a surprise to see cobblers follow the same path.
I attached a picture of my "small" collection. I always liked leather shoes and my interest for leather working comes from a frustration I've always had. I match my wrist watch strap and belt to the color of the shoes I wear. Just to give an example, no black shoes with a brown belt.
In theory it's not too hard to do, but I have such a large variety of shoes that I struggle to find matching belts and accessories.That's how I got the idea of making those accessories myself.

I purchased a few books regarding the topic, mostly from Al Stohlman, and I started lurking here and now that I have more time I am finally joining. I am mostly interested in small items, watch straps, wallets/billfolds, belts, maybe some purses/bags for my wife and briefcases for me but that's about as big as it will get.
Beside that, I am French, been living in the US for something like 6 or 7 years now. Nothing much to add really.

An2d44R.jpg

Edited by BMH

That is quite a collection. Do you make shoes or just collect them?

Over the years it just kind of started to get more and more out of control. Despite the fact that I wear all the shoes I own, I still haven't managed to kill a pair yet. I mean, with the proper care a good leather quality shoe will last pretty much forever. Which is great, but doesn't help with my storage problems.

And I worked as a cobbler for a while and for "fun" I did make a couple of pairs myself with the help of a friend who was much more skilled than me. Nowadays I am more interested in making patinas. First because I don't have all the equipment I used to anymore and it's a more "relaxing" activity.

Welcome to the forum

I suspect you may know of them already, but Search Google & YouTube for 'John Lobb Shoes'

Thanks!

I do have several pairs from Lobb, mostly older models though. A lot of people (including me) are complaining that Lobb has been taking a turn for the worse in term of styling. A little bit like JM Weston. At least both brands have kept more or less the same quality standards.

Welcome to the forum BMH.  How many feed DO you have?  ;)

Welcome to the forum. You sir definitely have an addiction and now that you have been bitten you must labour at the feet of the leather beast.

kgg