I've been looking for a particular basketweave holster made by Tex Shoemaker (the model being 42A) , but have been discontinued and are thus super rare to find. I have however found the same holster but without the basketweave pattern for much cheaper. This got me thinking, is there a way to un-stitch the holster and flatten it out (maybe using something like saddle soap to makethe leather soft), and use a basketweave stamping tool to make the basketweave pattern, stitch it back up, and shape the holster using my revolver. Do you guys think this would wok? I'm new to leathercrafting and i don't want to spend $150 odd on a project that is doomed:huh:. I have attached photos of the two photos so you  can see what i'm talking about.

basketweave holster.jpg

plain holster.jpg

@grimdaddy Moved your post to gun holsters ... Help wanted is like classified ads looking to employ or for employment.  Every post requires approval.

I see from your IP address that your are in the Virginia, Queensland, 4014, Australia area.  It's a good idea to add your location to your profile so you can connect with people that are more local to you when you need locality based help.

Welcome to the forum!  There is lots of info, examples and people looking to help here.

Tom

If you are tearing apart a finished holster and trying to stamp the leather, I don't think you will get nearly as clear of an impression as you will on a piece of unfinished leather. The best way in my opinion is to start with a good piece of veg-tanned leather and make the holster. You will be much happier with it than trying to stamp a piece of already finished leather.

If you were going through all the trouble to rip apart that holster why not just use it as a pattern for a completely new holster? Basket weave and dye the new one the way you want it. Also it will feel much better knowing you did it from start to finish 

mike 

2 hours ago, mikekratz said:

If you were going through all the trouble to rip apart that holster why not just use it as a pattern

mike 

Or just buy the swivel and lay it out yourself.  Nothing different about that holster other than they added a different style belt loop to it.

Where are you located? I have a vintage swivel patrolman's holster in my box of oldies and it may actually be basket weave ( may not be the model or maker you are after though) I can check on the weekend

Being new to leatherwork, I don't think you realise quite what a job you would be setting yourself - and there's no guarantee you could even stamp the leather. Normally leather is cased (pre-dampened with water) so it will take the stamp imprints but there's no way of knowing how this holster has been treated. It may not take up moisture, in which case stamping it won't be very successful. Plus, imo, basketweave is one of the trickiest stamps to use and get a good result with. You would want to do a lot of practice first.

Thanks for all of the responses guys! I've decided to purchase the holster, unstitch it, and try as best as i can to stamp and dye the leather using the pattern of the holster. My only question: should I use something like saddle soap to soften the holster and get it flat so that i can copy the pattern?

Soak it in warm water.  Somewhere around 100 to 110 degrees.  Add a few drops of liquid dish soap.  

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

As I mentioned before, in order to stamp leather it needs to be slightly damp. Dunk it in warm water (in and out, be careful of soaking it as you don't want it to go mushy), leave it for a few minutes then repeat the process. If it doesn't repel the water it should slowly start softening and you should be able to slowly start straightening it. You can't rush this or you could damage the leather. Once you've got it flat it will probably be pretty damp so it needs to dry a little before you start stamping - you want it barely moist, not wet.

Adding anything (saddle soap, leather balm, neatsfoot oil etc) could prevent it from absorbing the water. If it's previously been treated with beeswax then you may have a problem!

Edited by dikman

On 5/3/2019 at 2:16 AM, JLSleather said:

Or just buy the swivel and lay it out yourself.  Nothing different about that holster other than they added a different style belt loop to it.

In regards to buying the swivel, what would I search to find it? I think I'll go with what all of you suggested and just use the holster as a pattern and make a new one.

9 hours ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

Somewhere around 100 to 110 degrees.

This would have to be Fahrenheit, not Celsius ... obviously. :rolleyes2:

I don't know WHERE some of these ideas come from. 

• Dish soap?  Never used it.  I suppose it may prevent mildew and fungus from forming in the water.  Personally, I just change the water.
  • 110° ? :dunno: I use a bowl of water at room temp (around 68°).  Fill it with distilled water (because not all tap water is equal), set it on the desk, use it until it's either gone or dirty (usually from little "bits" due to edging or sanding), then dump it and replace it.  Every few days I WASH THE BOWL - using dish soap - so maybe that's where that idea comes from?@!

Kaint help with the swivel and where to get one.  Never used one, and never will, so I just don't have that info.  I do know others use them, so they're available.

11 hours ago, JLSleather said:

I don't know WHERE some of these ideas come from. 

• Dish soap?  Never used it.  I suppose it may prevent mildew and fungus from forming in the water.  Personally, I just change the water.
  • 110° ? :dunno: I use a bowl of water at room temp (around 68°).  Fill it with distilled water (because not all tap water is equal), set it on the desk, use it until it's either gone or dirty (usually from little "bits" due to edging or sanding), then dump it and replace it.  Every few days I WASH THE BOWL - using dish soap - so maybe that's where that idea comes from?@!

Kaint help with the swivel and where to get one.  Never used one, and never will, so I just don't have that info.  I do know others use them, so they're available.

On 5/3/2019 at 5:25 AM, plinkercases said:

Where are you located? I have a vintage swivel patrolman's holster in my box of oldies and it may actually be basket weave ( may not be the model or maker you are after though) I can check on the weekend

I'm located in Queensland, AustraliaB) What brand of holster was the  one you have?

On 5/3/2019 at 5:25 AM, plinkercases said:

No problem, I'm in Queensland, Australia.

Ah, yes, when I said 100 degrees, I did mean Fahrenheit.  Sorry, I often forget that we are a global forum.

I recommended warm water and dish soap to soak the old holster because soap is a wetting agent and warm water is a more effective cleaner than cold water.  It makes sense to me, but if it doesn't make sense to you... okay.

If the OP is going to disassemble the holster, I think this would work better than room temperature water and no soap.  That's my suggestion and I think it is a valid one.  However, I am not the expert that many are on this forum.

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

On 5/7/2019 at 2:56 AM, wizard of tragacanth said:

Ah, yes, when I said 100 degrees, I did mean Fahrenheit.  Sorry, I often forget that we are a global forum.

I recommended warm water and dish soap to soak the old holster because soap is a wetting agent and warm water is a more effective cleaner than cold water.  It makes sense to me, but if it doesn't make sense to you... okay.

If the OP is going to disassemble the holster, I think this would work better than room temperature water and no soap.  That's my suggestion and I think it is a valid one.  However, I am not the expert that many are on this forum.

sounds like a good idea. I've decided to purchase the plain holster, disassemble it, and use it as a pattern to create my own. This way, I could make several and sell them to people as replicas! They'll be practically the same, just without the logo stampings obviously. I think people would prefer this to paying up to $1000 for an actual holster.