Hi all

I have unrolled a Latigo hide I bought about 4 years ago and it is covered in a White material. My first thought was mold but I have used diluted bleach with no results then I tried Isopropyl Alcohol with a little improvement but now I am wondering if it is just waxes coming from the leather itself.  I can scrape it with my thumb in some spots.  Any thoughts ? 

I have attached a pic to give you an idea.

IMG_7410_Moment(2).jpg

HI There, no idea what that white could be, but i reckon if you give the hide some saddle soap all over then it would most likely disappear.

I'm betting waxes.... Give it a rub. And maybe a little heat.

Like you & bikermutt said, it's most likely the wax coming up with age and lack of use. If you take a soft rag or some buffing material, you can just rub it back in. I have some pieces of horse leather that do this if I let them sit too long. 

How common is mold for you guys that have been working with leather for a long time and might store stuff away for a while? Are there any good solutions if it does happen and ways to prevent it? Do I have to worry about buying old leather and it "contaminating" other leather ? I was recently reminded I could buy old thrift store items to play with while I learn. 

If you allow air to circulate ( don't need fans or forced air ) around your leather, you'll have no worries..
Don't wrap it in airproof things unless you are "casing" it..
Mould is a problem of humidity and relatively static air allowing fungi / mould to grow..

Edited by mikesc

For the most part mold shouldn't be a problem. It depends on where you setup shop. Currently I'm working in an unfinished basement that has a dehumidifier running. I have to keep an eye on things because it still gets damp in some parts of the basement though. I've only had a few spots show up. I think it was just on a couple half hides of patent leather. It's been wet for months in Ohio so the dehumidifier couldn't keep up. But if you're working in a normal part of your house, i.e. an office or bedroom, you won't have to worry about.  

On 5/3/2019 at 1:28 PM, arashikage said:

For the most part mold shouldn't be a problem. It depends on where you setup shop. Currently I'm working in an unfinished basement that has a dehumidifier running. I have to keep an eye on things because it still gets damp in some parts of the basement though. I've only had a few spots show up. I think it was just on a couple half hides of patent leather. It's been wet for months in Ohio so the dehumidifier couldn't keep up. But if you're working in a normal part of your house, i.e. an office or bedroom, you won't have to worry about.  

I see okay thanks. If you do get mold is it hard to get rid of or is it mostly localized? Since I will be shopping at thrift stores for scrap leather I'm wondering about this since it's possible I might miss this. I've also been offered free leather goods but they mentioned they had started to form mold so I didn't take them.

Edited by JC2019

I've never had mold on my leather, but my understanding is that it is a pain to get rid of, so something to be avoided.

- Bill

On 5/2/2019 at 4:06 PM, bikermutt07 said:

And maybe a little heat.

I was thinking I would try this next ... thanks Bikermutt07

And thank you all for your responses ... I am pretty sure it is just the waxes coming out, have to say it was a bit startling when I rolled it out. 

My shop has been in a storage bin for 2 and a half years so wasn't sure what shape everything would be in. I have to say almost everything lasted just fine (other than a few bottles of dyes and finishes.

I'm pretty sure that is just waxes. What is known as bloom, I believe.

Just wanted to share my results ...

It was just the waxes coming out of the hide and a little heat with a hair dryer worked like a charm. 

Thank you all for your comments and bikermutt07 for the heat idea :-)

On 5/2/2019 at 9:27 PM, Rbarleatherworks said:

Hi all

I have unrolled a Latigo hide I bought about 4 years ago and it is covered in a White material. My first thought was mold but I have used diluted bleach with no results then I tried Isopropyl Alcohol with a little improvement but now I am wondering if it is just waxes coming from the leather itself.  I can scrape it with my thumb in some spots.  Any thoughts ? 

I have attached a pic to give you an idea.

IMG_7410_Moment(2).jpg

Looks like it might be wax. Maybe try buffing it with a soft brush

21 hours ago, GDH said:

Looks like it might be wax. Maybe try buffing it with a soft brush

Yes ... Thanks GDH ... You are right, that is exactly what it was and a hair dryer with medium heat fixed it right up :)