mikesc

Fish leather on the BBC

Steinunn Gunnsteinsdóttir admits that it took her family more than a few attempts to be able to make leather from fish skins.

"The first 200 times we just made smelly fish soups," she says.

Ms Gunnsteinsdóttir is the sales manager of Icelandic company Atlantic Leather, which owns the only fish tannery in Europe.

Overlooking a fjord on Iceland's remote north coast, since 1994 it has been processing the skins of salmon, perch, cod and wolffish.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47806892

Just a note, despite what the article says , They are by no means the only fish leather tannery in Europe, one of our French TV stations ran a programme around 3 years ago ( which I recorded ) featuring two women who own a fish leather tannery in France supplying the bespoke shoe trade..There are others elsewhere in Europe..Interesting nevertheless..There are a few companies in France selling various types of fish leather amongst their "exotics"..

Well that's about typical for modern journalism -- a copy pasted press release filtered through the publication's political bias and minimal basic background research conducted.

On 5/3/2019 at 8:30 AM, Matt S said:

Well that's about typical for modern journalism -- a copy pasted press release filtered through the publication's political bias and minimal basic background research conducted.

lets not get political but because of larger animal flatulence large pieces of leather will be in short supply so fish leather might be the next best thing.

7 billion people we will need it all

2 hours ago, Samalan said:

lets not get political but because of larger animal flatulence large pieces of leather will be in short supply so fish leather might be the next best thing.

I doubt I'll see a significant decline in the availability of bovine hides at the high end of the market within my lifetime, regardless of the environment. Beeves may fart but people like steak and milk too much -- and there's a lot of different ways to raise cattle than simply "shove it full of soy as fast as you can".

Then we've got deer, pigs, buffalo, sheep, goats and other larger animals, none of which are in short supply either in the wild or in agriculture, before we start being limited to things the size of salmon. Nothing wrong with fish leather, but plenty wrong with that article.

got plenty of bovine to work with myself

leather 3.JPG

" Understanding Bovine Flatulence"  I have invented  rectal flatulence after burner with a maceration and stowage device that is fit to a saddle unit ! this device can also stop the toxic run off into rivers . T

15 hours ago, Matt S said:

I doubt I'll see a significant decline in the availability of bovine hides at the high end of the market within my lifetime, regardless of the environment. Beeves may fart but people like steak and milk too much -- and there's a lot of different ways to raise cattle than simply "shove it full of soy as fast as you can".

Then we've got deer, pigs, buffalo, sheep, goats and other larger animals, none of which are in short supply either in the wild or in agriculture, before we start being limited to things the size of salmon. Nothing wrong with fish leather, but plenty wrong with that article.

his device could  also save the ozone,  open up a whole new saddle industry , and save the threatened leather Industry. 

50 minutes ago, Samalan said:

" Understanding Bovine Flatulence"  I have invented  rectal flatulence after burner with a maceration and stowage device that is fit to a saddle unit ! this device can also stop the toxic run off into rivers . T

his device could  also save the ozone,  open up a whole new saddle industry , and save the threatened leather Industry. 

What's threatened about the leather industry? What's leather got to do with the ozone layer?

Sorry folks that invention had to be well the design team can't figure out how the cows tail got in the maceration gears that caused a blockage F.L.A.B. that caused the explosion ! full story tonight on CNN and possible films@11 people say a congressional group of - - - -   are looking for possible connection with the incident to the Trump Administration this could be considered an attack on progressive machinery . 

3 hours ago, Matt S said:

What's threatened about the leather industry? What's leather got to do with the ozone layer?

Watch  CNN Tonight and get the whole story. The - - - -  are starting a common sense study and comprehensive look into B.F. on the ozone . Just think if the machine made by P.M.Co. or progressive machine Co . fails that could be the end of cows but progressive  is confidant the next machine will have it all GPS, enclosed maceration gears , also a comprehensive animal wellness computer  that's can detect M.C.D. or mad cow , and a new F.G. igniter or fart gas igniter, that can burn off harmful ozone damaging gas . and all at a low cost around 9.000.00 per cow this will bring down the cost of milk once all cows are fitted with a machine. I hope this has helped you understand  the importance of  the work done @ U.B.F.   and P.M.Co and thank you for your interest in this mater .  

Watch CNN Tonight and get the whole story. The - - - - are starting a common sense study and comprehensive look into B.F. on the ozone . Just think if the machine made by P.M.Co. or progressive machine Co . fails that could be the end of cows but progressive is confidant the next machine will have it all GPS, enclosed maceration gears , also a comprehensive animal wellness computer that's can detect M.C.D. or mad cow , and a new F.G. igniter or fart gas igniter, that can burn off harmful ozone damaging gas . and all at a low cost around 9.000.00 per cow this will bring down the cost of milk once all cows are fitted with a machine. I hope this has helped you understand the importance of the work done @ U.B.F. and P.M.Co and thank you for your interest in this mater .

Convention says ..don't bogart..pass it on..to the person next to you..and mind that you don't get locked in the refrigerator. :)

15 minutes ago, Samalan said:

Watch  CNN Tonight and get the whole story. The - - - -  are starting a common sense study and comprehensive look into B.F. on the ozone . Just think if the machine made by P.M.Co. or progressive machine Co . fails that could be the end of cows but progressive  is confidant the next machine will have it all GPS, enclosed maceration gears , also a comprehensive animal wellness computer  that's can detect M.C.D. or mad cow , and a new F.G. igniter or fart gas igniter, that can burn off harmful ozone damaging gas . and all at a low cost around 9.000.00 per cow this will bring down the cost of milk once all cows are fitted with a machine. I hope this has helped you understand  the importance of  the work done @ U.B.F.   and P.M.Co and thank you for your interest in this mater .  

I don't watch CNN. I've shovelled too much animal faeces in my life to enjoy people BSing me.

Considered switching to decaff? :coffeecomp:

On 5/3/2019 at 2:30 PM, Matt S said:

Got to agree with...   They rank as badly as CNN

43 minutes ago, Matt S said:

I don't watch CNN. I've shovelled too much animal faeces in my life to enjoy people BSing me.

Considered switching to decaff? :coffeecomp:

Sorry  Matt sometimes i do go off in silly talk men' t no harm to you . And you are right decaff could be a good thing for me again Sorry.

All this about cows farting, makes you wonder how much of it is caused by the cow feed they give the cows  living much of there lives in sheds,rather than just being out in a field eating grass

1 hour ago, Samalan said:

Sorry  Matt sometimes i do go off in silly talk men' t no harm to you . And you are right decaff could be a good thing for me again Sorry.

No offence taken or meant Sam -- I meant news networks being the BSers not you!

I wouldn't survive a day without caffeine myself...
 giphy.gif

No offence taken or meant Sam -- I meant news networks being the BSers not you!

I wouldn't survive a day without caffeine myself...
 giphy.gif

OK the video of me how did you get it well its ok as my doctor is not on this site !

I have been playing around with making fish leather for 6-7 months now. It is incredibly strong especially its tensile strength, you would never think it given how thin it is.

Another couple months of tinkering and I think I will have the quality to the point where I would be comfortable selling it. As I already sell Birch tar oil and have pretty much unlimited access to Birch I have been reproducing the "Russia Leather" way of making leather. Have had to modify it a little but overall it is very close, I won't be doing dye they way they did back in the day though.