Dpalmay

New in Louisiana

Finally put something together that I feel comfortable posting.

My edges came out looking soft instead of polished, but I kinda like the look for this project.

Pictures really make stitching look uneven...

Here's a notebook holder, self patterned. 5oz veg tan from Tandy $5 clearance rack.

IMG_20190506_153805_058.jpg

IMG_20190506_153805_060.jpg

Welcome to the forum, there's a few of us local to the area.  Looks like a good start to a pattern and will probably morph as you refine them.  what did you stitch this with? 

6 minutes ago, koreric75 said:

Welcome to the forum, there's a few of us local to the area.  Looks like a good start to a pattern and will probably morph as you refine them.  what did you stitch this with? 

Hand stitched with the cheap waxed thread from a tandy starting kit.

Welcome abound. 

When I first started I would not use contrasting thread. It hides the mistakes a little better. 

Where as contrasting thread makes them pop a bit.

I think you are off to a great start. Hit me up if you're around the Bossier area. I have a free piece of granite for ya.

29 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Welcome abound. 

When I first started I would not use contrasting thread. It hides the mistakes a little better. 

Where as contrasting thread makes them pop a bit.

I think you are off to a great start. Hit me up if you're around the Bossier area. I have a free piece of granite for ya.

Thanks Mutt.

I'm actually in Bossier every Wed and Thurs for work. I've been meaning to try to hit up some of the locals, and see if anyone vends at the Bossier Night Market. (I run security for PBM and MSV).

I did a lot of leatherwork around 25 years ago, just now getting back into it, and learning all the new techniques that I didn't get into way back then.

As for the contrasting threads, this was a one day project, and decided to have a bit o fun with it. Now if I could get my machine to run right, the errors may fix themselves...

Edited by Dpalmay

14 minutes ago, Dpalmay said:

Thanks Mutt.

I'm actually in Bossier every Wed and Thurs for work. I've been meaning to try to hit up some of the locals, and see if anyone vends at the Bossier Night Market. (I run security for PBM and MSV).

I did a lot of leatherwork around 25 years ago, just now getting back into it, and learning all the new techniques that I didn't get into way back then.

As for the contrasting threads, this was a one day project, and decided to have a bit o fun with it. Now if I could get my machine to run right, the errors may fix themselves...

My apologies, I thought it was hand sewn. I have just started playing with machines. I never knew how intimidating they could be.

This one is hand sewn, Trying to get machine running to save my fingers.

18 hours ago, Dpalmay said:

This one is hand sewn, Trying to get machine running to save my fingers.

What kind of machine?  

I picked up a Pfaff 1245 from The Sewing Shop.

Skips a stitch here and there, so trying to figure that out.

3 minutes ago, Dpalmay said:

I picked up a Pfaff 1245 from The Sewing Shop.

Skips a stitch here and there, so trying to figure that out.

ah nice, i have the same problem with my adler, i found that it usually happens if i try to manipulate the material too much, esp if i'm doing long stitches on a little thicker leather.  Have you mentioned it to steve?

3 minutes ago, koreric75 said:

ah nice, i have the same problem with my adler, i found that it usually happens if i try to manipulate the material too much, esp if i'm doing long stitches on a little thicker leather.  Have you mentioned it to steve?

Not yet, It does great with the thin stuff he had for examples, and canvases and cordura, it's when I have to do multiple layers that it throws stitches. I've gotten it to run better than it was, but now it's roughly every 20-50 stitches is skipped, which seems rather odd to me.

2 minutes ago, Dpalmay said:

Not yet, It does great with the thin stuff he had for examples, and canvases and cordura, it's when I have to do multiple layers that it throws stitches. I've gotten it to run better than it was, but now it's roughly every 20-50 stitches is skipped, which seems rather odd to me.

try shortening the stitch length some, and making sure your needle is big enough to allow the loop to form underneath for the hook.  I have the same issue if i get too thick under the foot, sometimes it works better if i zip along and other times better if i slow roll it...lol

3 minutes ago, koreric75 said:

try shortening the stitch length some, and making sure your needle is big enough to allow the loop to form underneath for the hook.  I have the same issue if i get too thick under the foot, sometimes it works better if i zip along and other times better if i slow roll it...lol

Haven't thought of shorter stitches, I'll give that a shot. As for size, I'm running a 23 needle with 138 thread

Sorry, haven't been on recently. Health issues and busy at work. I'm still makin and will be vending at the Bossier Night Market in December. (Which was rough getting the time off for).  I'm hopin the locals will swing by and give some in person critiques.