ABHandmade

Tiger and water

Picture of a tiger walking in the water.
Size: 30 x 21 cm
Material: vegetable tanned leather
Technique: carving, modeling, embossing.
Coloring: spirit dyes, acrylic paints.
Finishing: polyurethane varnish (matte and glossy).

The main focus of this work is on the realistic representation of the animal's fur (dry and wet), whiskers and hair. The body's volume and depth of the carving and embossing, although present, are not the main goal and serve only as a tool to make the image more believable.

The use of partial varnishing, as well as a combination of glossy and matte varnish, are intended to emphasize the difference between the dry and wet areas of the image.

Tiger_m.JPG

Gorgeous :)

This looks GREAT!  Always like your use of color, and here you've grabbed the change in focus from the subject and the (nicely but nor overly done) "background".   The hair effects are stunning (as we've come to expect from you) and the eyes are 'spot on'. 

I'm not big on projects that just look good sitting, and don't "do" something utilitarian.  But this is ANOTHER great work - color me impressed. :o

Wow!  Truly amazing!

1 hour ago, Northmount said:

Very beautiful work. 

Tom

Thank you, Tom!

1 hour ago, mikesc said:

Gorgeous :)

Thanks! :)

42 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

here you've grabbed the change in focus from the subject and the (nicely but nor overly done) "background". 

Thank you! 

“Lazy” water in the background is something that I need to work hard on. Maybe I have to try an airbrush to get smooth color transitions on large areas.

32 minutes ago, Smartee said:

Wow!  Truly amazing!

Thanks for compliment!

Very inspirational of what can be done on leather. Great use of shading within the black tiger stripes and fur. 

The wet and dry hair, the eyes, the water ... it's all very realistic.

7 hours ago, chriscraft said:

Very inspirational of what can be done on leather. Great use of shading within the black tiger stripes and fur. 

Thank you for compliment!

4 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

The wet and dry hair, the eyes, the water ... it's all very realistic.

Thanks, Brian! 

This is my first image water experience. Not everything turned out as I would like :(
Here I took into account the error in the display of a whiskers - heretofore I used to make cuts with a swivel knife and the white paint seep ugly into the surrounding "fur". I decided to try to make them raised (swivel knife, beveler, modeling spoon). The result I liked  more :)

Edited by ABHandmade

WOW!!!!!! ...its been awhile since I followed anyone. You just got another one. Took me 10 minutes to remember you got to go to the persons profile to follow them:P

1 hour ago, RockyAussie said:

WOW!!!!!! ...its been awhile since I followed anyone. You just got another one. Took me 10 minutes to remember you got to go to the persons profile to follow them:P

Sir, this is a great honor for me. No kidding!

Amazing work. Just amazing. Wow.

You do amazing work.  So life like.

Gorgeous work. The reality is stunning. I showed the picture to the misses. She loves all things feline. Her comment was I hope who ever took that picture made it out alive that is really close. I think you hit this one out of the park so to speak. 

Do you keep track of hours spent on each project? If so and it is not being to forward. How many hours do you spend on a piece of this quality?

Thank you for sharing 

Gene       

7 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

You do amazing work.  So life like.

Thank you, @Scoutmom103!

46 minutes ago, bullmoosepaddles said:

Gorgeous work. The reality is stunning. I showed the picture to the misses. She loves all things feline. Her comment was I hope who ever took that picture made it out alive that is really close. I think you hit this one out of the park so to speak. 

Do you keep track of hours spent on each project? If so and it is not being to forward. How many hours do you spend on a piece of this quality?

Thank you for such compliments, Gene!

This work took about 100 hours of pure time. Of these, 5–7 hours are the preparation of a contour image on a computer  (I do the tracing only manually), 35–40 hour - carving, modeling, embossing, the rest of the time - coloring and finishing.

UPD. Probably, this is quite a long time, because, unfortunately, I don’t have any artistic education, so each new work is at the same time a kind of teaching and working out some techniques.

Andrey.

Edited by ABHandmade

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:37 AM, ABHandmade said:

I don’t have any artistic education

You have no formal training? Then you have an enormous amount of ability!

6 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

You have no formal training? Then you have an enormous amount of ability!

Thank you, Brian! 

Unfortunately, the lack of formal training is a more significant factor :)

One cannot teach talent, one cannot learn talent..one can only teach techniques, or learn techniques..

Don't worry about your lack of formal training in art..You have both the talent, and the technical ability, the "techniques" you'll pick up, they'll save you some time is all..

Many artists find their "calling" later in life..

Some just get immense satisfaction out of creating..applies to many here..

Many who do not have enough talent waste years at art schools..and are never able to use ( in any creative way ) the techniques that they were shown, due to lack of talent..Most of them become teachers..Other do something else entirely.

Some both teach ( for a while, to see if they like it, and it is a good "backstop" ) and make a living out of creating.

Some of us make "creating art" their career and life..the "art schools" just showed us the techniques that we'd have mostly found anyway.

What is important is that every minute of your life counts..you only have a limited number of them in a lifetime..don't waste any of them doing something that you don't enjoy :)

Edited by mikesc

@mikesc

Mike, thank you so much for the wisdom, kind words and support!

I swear that witchcraft is used by some of you people !

9 hours ago, kiwican said:

I swear that witchcraft is used by some of you people !

No witchcraft (slowly grinding a dry frog in a mortar and adding cockroach paws there) :)