tgraytn

* ANYONE USE HORWEEN DUBLIN LEATHER?

Hello everyone,

I can't seem to get any replies regarding where to purchase Horween Dublin Natural leather.  I see wallets all over the internet that are being made daily by hand using this leather but yet I can't seem to find a place to purchase it.  Tannery Row has it but I have to buy it in bulk and I just simply cannot afford to go that route at this time.  Rocky Mountain Leather Supply, Buckle Guy and District Leather Supply all carry it in small pieces that you can buy but they are out of stock and don't know when they'll have anymore.

Any help that someone can provide will be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

It sounds like you're interested in buying pieces (less than a full side) Correct?

Your location states you are in TN. I'm also in TN, in the SE corner close to Chattanooga, so we might be close enough to help each other out. I buy Horween from The Tannery Row for my own use and have a few sides in stock. I don't currently have any Dublin natural. I think I have some Dublin brown nut, Derby natural, Essex chestnut, Essex black, CXL Carolina brown, CXL navy, and CXL burgundy. I wouldn't be opposed to buying a side of Dublin natural with my next order and sharing it with you.

Happy to help if we can arrange something that works for both of us. Let me know.

Phil

11 minutes ago, WolfteverGunleather said:

It sounds like you're interested in buying pieces (less than a full side) Correct?

Your location states you are in TN. I'm also in TN, in the SE corner close to Chattanooga, so we might be close enough to help each other out. I buy Horween from The Tannery Row for my own use and have a few sides in stock. I don't currently have any Dublin natural. I think I have some Dublin brown nut, Derby natural, Essex chestnut, Essex black, CXL Carolina brown, CXL navy, and CXL burgundy. I wouldn't be opposed to buying a side of Dublin natural with my next order and sharing it with you.

Happy to help if we can arrange something that works for both of us. Let me know.

Phil

Phil,

Many thanks for your reply!  I am about to message you now!  

Tom

1 hour ago, WolfteverGunleather said:

Phil

If you wouldn't mind could you give us a little breakdown on the different leathers?

I have cxl, but have always been a little cloudy on the difference between it and Derby and Dublin, and Essex....

They all sound too similar to differentiate between on their website.

Thanks, if it's not too much trouble.

And I'm pretty clear on Shell.

Essex is straight veg tan, using the same veg tan liquors used by Horween in tanning shell cordovan. Although it's straight veg, it's not a firm tannage for carving like Wickett and Craig or Hermann Oak. It's more of a medium temper.

Dublin is Essex that has been heavily fat-liquored with fats, waxes, and oils to give it a nice pull-up effect.

Derby is Dublin that has been tumbled in a drum to give a more rustic look and a softer temper.

The entire Essex line is full grain non corrected leather.

Chromexcel is combination tanned. Chrome is the primary tannage followed by a heavy vegetable retannage. That gives it some properties of both tannages. Heat resistance of chrome, ability to hold stamping similar to straight veg, and the edges will burnish nicely. It is hot stuffed with waxes, greases, and oils to give it a slick, classic look, and a firmer temper than fat-liquored leather. It is also a corrected grain leather, so the character is not quite as pronounced as the Essex line.

On a side note, in my personal opinion, the Essex line has more of a classic leather smell that is really nice.

@WolfteverGunleather, thank you ever so much.

I have to say myself, out of the wide range of leathers I have, I like smelling the cxl.

But, I may have to give Essex a whiff.;)

One correction to my previous comment.

The Horween website lists Chromexcel as full grain leather, so I was wrong in stating that it is not.

I'm obviously not privy to their proprietary processes, so I can't explain the reason, but in my opinion the Essex line has more of an aniline full grain appearance than Chromexcel does. Chromexcel, Essex, Dublin, Derby are all great leathers that can be used to make beautiful products, so I'm not implying that one is better than another. They are just different leathers designed for different purposes.

Hope that helps.

9 hours ago, WolfteverGunleather said:

One correction to my previous comment.

The Horween website lists Chromexcel as full grain leather, so I was wrong in stating that it is not.

I'm obviously not privy to their proprietary processes, so I can't explain the reason, but in my opinion the Essex line has more of an aniline full grain appearance than Chromexcel does. Chromexcel, Essex, Dublin, Derby are all great leathers that can be used to make beautiful products, so I'm not implying that one is better than another. They are just different leathers designed for different purposes.

Hope that helps.

It was a big help. I saved your post in my phone for future reference.