JJN

Double Row Hook and Awl Post Stitching Machine for Shoes

I saw this was a topic a few days ago and the thread is closed. I don't know much about these type of machines, but maybe this is of interest to the members.

Puritan NS8100 low post sewing machine

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/d/portland-leather-sewing-machine/6884330903.html

purintan-machine.jpg

Edited by JJN
added photo

Interesting, I wonder how you'd move the needle and awl ( and whatever it has that resembles a hook ? ) over to the other side to sew the second row after you'd sewed the first one ?..
Seems very cheap "Leather Sewing Machine - $1200 (North Portland)Leather Sewing Machine - $1200 (North Portland)" for something that heavy duty ( and heavy) especially with "clean, well maintained and in good working order." and " Happy to deliver anywhere in the Northwest."

Edited by mikesc

I am guessing it only has one of the two sets of hook and awl installed in this photo.

Does it come with two sets of Hooks and awls ? Or whatever chain stitchers like that use where a lockstitcher would use hook(s) ..if so, it would need two needles, two thread tension systems, two of "everything" in the thread( s) path(s) ?..Is there space in that short pedestal for two "whatevers" ?

Ah..reading the link to Puritan, they make machines that run ( for the decorative lines on the uppers ) upto to 4 needles !

But only one single needle does the welts...so you'd have to "go around" twice very carefully , to get two parallel stitching lines on the welts..

All becomes clear when you go to puritan and read the "spec sheets"
and the features..
http://puritanindustries.net/features.htm

Wish I was in "the Northwest"..I'd be able to think of a use ( justification to the distaff side and the tax man ) for one..I'm sure :)

Looks like turbotexas was right and I and others in that thread were wrong, there is ( almost) a "beastie" that can do double ( and upto 4 ) rows at once, not on the welts in one pass, although maybe it the uppers were flexible enough to be pulled out of the way ?

Edited by mikesc

I'm adding another photo here for future reference.

purintan-machine2.jpg

The more I see it, the more I want one..:)
Hopefully turbotexas is able to work out a way to get this one.

Anyone know what they cost new ? ..No prices ( that I can find ) on Puritan's site..

Here is a Puritan triple stitch doing uppers. Red Wing video.

Edited by JJN

5 hours ago, mikesc said:

Wish I was in "the Northwest"..I'd be able to think of a use ( justification to the distaff side and the tax man ) for one..I'm sure :)

-

I am in this area just west of this machine for sale . I would love to just drive over there and pick it up . It is a cool piece of sew mechanics .

but.. I just cant justify losing more space that it would take up .  and don't know what Job I would use/need it for .

Never seen or sewn on a Puritan . ( I think ? ) . it is a chain stitch on the bottom stitching ? , not Lockstitch machine .

Chainstichers..Very cool indeed :) Sew through aluminium and plywood..and thick leather..decoratively..What is not to like ..apart from probably the price when new..But at $1200, working , maintained, and the person is willing to deliver..

http://puritanindustries.net/lpost.htm
http://puritanindustries.net/specs.htm
http://puritanindustries.net/features.htm

The original topic being referenced pertained to sewing shoe outsoles with two rows of stitching. While the Puritan machines can be built to sew close to the shoe upper, it is still a chainstitch machine, which is not suitable for sewing shoe soles. If  the chain is on the bottom it is bound to get broken after walking on sidewalks and paved lots. Chainstitches that are broken can unravel. Even if the broken stitch is waxed to stay in place, the appearance is not commercially acceptable to the general public. That's why you see lockstitches on shoe soles.

There is a use for chainstitch machines on shoe insoles and uppers. Redwing uses them to sew those components. The insole chainstitches are covered with the insole lining or pad to keep them from rubbing against the bottom of your foot. The side and upper stitches are done with thin thread that produces a very tight chainstitch on the inside that doesn't rub the side of your foot.

BTW: $1200 is a very good price for that new style (NS) Puritan. New machines of that ilk cost thousands of dollars, with some exceeding $12,000.

6 hours ago, mikesc said:

Anyone know what they cost new ? ..No prices ( that I can find ) on Puritan's site..

That NS8100, with automatic motor and positioning controls is upwards of $12,000, or more.

There are no prices on the website because all their machines are built to order.

Hello everyone,

I am the seller of this machine, I posted the original topic on this forum a month or so ago and have been maintaining the craigslist posting.  For those who are interested the machine is still available.  It only has one needle installed in the photos because I was last using it for single row stitching.  As set up it will do double row by simply installing a second hook and awl (several are included).  It can also be easily modified with a handful of parts from Puritan to do triple row as the machine has all the necessary spool stands, wax pot bushings, etc. and would only need the triple anvil and hooks.  I picked this up some time ago at an auction from a large shoe manufacturer in Portland and have been using it for hobby projects.  We're moving now and just need it out of the basement hence the very reasonable price.  Feel free to contact me through this forum or the craigslist post if interested. 

Thanks!