immiketoo

Linothorax Ancient Greek Armor

We made another set of armor, this one from the Mycenaean era.  Leather wrapped in linen with some embellishments.  

Natalie handled most of this project, while I was hired for my stitcher abilities and as a model :)

E7793C23-03F4-4753-BA8B-A98E1805E6FE.jpeg

Very cool!  So which parts are the linen wrapped leather?  Is it like a leather core and parts you are seeing are the linen?

The entire thing is covered in linen.  With a few leather trim pieces.

while I was hired for my stitcher abilities and as a model

You are not eating enough, you are too thin, you look like two sticks, it ( whilst being very nice ) "hangs" on you :)

nice

2 hours ago, mikesc said:

You are not eating enough, you are too thin, you look like two sticks, it ( whilst being very nice ) "hangs" on you :)

Yeah, the pic of me wearing it didn't load for some reason.  :/

I would like to do some of the greek armor. I'm working on some from assassins creed oddessey. that is a very nice set of armor you've done there

19 hours ago, Squirrelly66 said:

I would like to do some of the greek armor. I'm working on some from assassins creed oddessey. that is a very nice set of armor you've done there

Well, that's ancient greek armor, if stylized quite a bit.  Our armor was used in the research for that game and the company we make it for was consulted heavily.  Unfortunately, ours wasn't ready in time to be digitized, but hopefully, we'll have future opportunities.

Can't wait to see what you're doing with your set.

12 hours ago, immiketoo said:

Well, that's ancient greek armor, if stylized quite a bit.  Our armor was used in the research for that game and the company we make it for was consulted heavily.  Unfortunately, ours wasn't ready in time to be digitized, but hopefully, we'll have future opportunities.

Can't wait to see what you're doing with your set.

Mike, that is really cool. I hope you do get another opportunity. 

The armor, like everything you share here, is spectacular. Love love LOVE it.

Is there a real market for stuff like this? Or is it super niche?

And, have you considered making PDF patterns for stuff? I would totally buy some of your patterns. Just food for thought.

3 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Mike, that is really cool. I hope you do get another opportunity. 

The armor, like everything you share here, is spectacular. Love love LOVE it.

Is there a real market for stuff like this? Or is it super niche?

And, have you considered making PDF patterns for stuff? I would totally buy some of your patterns. Just food for thought.

Hey dude, thanks a lot.  It is SUPER niche.  We missed the boat on AC Oddesey because they had to be so secret about it.  They couldn't even tell us what it was for until it was too late, but the group is also tapped for a lot of movies, so hopefully it will happen.  As for patterns, I haven't ever considered it because who would want one?  LARP and SCA folks are not willing to spend the money on full custom sets like ours most of the time and the casual larper probably couldn't make one.  I'll talk to the boss though and see what she says :P

3 hours ago, immiketoo said:

Hey dude, thanks a lot.  It is SUPER niche.  We missed the boat on AC Oddesey because they had to be so secret about it.  They couldn't even tell us what it was for until it was too late, but the group is also tapped for a lot of movies, so hopefully it will happen.  As for patterns, I haven't ever considered it because who would want one?  LARP and SCA folks are not willing to spend the money on full custom sets like ours most of the time and the casual larper probably couldn't make one.  I'll talk to the boss though and see what she says :P

Well, I have been thinking lately. I'm always awefully willing to blow 50 or 100 bucks on tools. The shoe pursuit has brought me more towards spending more supporting teachers, book writers, etc....

So, I was thinking I need to support you guys more. The ones who know the secrets and are always helping others. I joined Nigel's Vimeo page last week and I will be purchasing some of your video classes soon. Nigel's page was totally worth 4 dollars a month for access to over 14 hours of growing content.

Do I need an armor pattern, probably not, but I bet you have plenty of designs I would actually make. 

I have probably bought 10 diesel Punk patterns that I haven't built yet.

Nice to see someone else who gets it.  I too just bought a half dozen Dieselpunk patterns.  I am willing to do this because it cuts down my learning curve significantly, and I get a great product that I can then modify or use to create my own as needed.  I am also a member of Nigel's page because he's just so darn cool and filled with knowledge.  You make an excellent comparison to tool money.  

People buy a lot of tools and then have no idea how to use them :P

BTW, we can't share the armor pattern as they are the property of the company who ordered the armor sets.  Sorry dude :(

No worries, like I said, I don't really need an armor pattern. Or even a set of armor, but I'm kind of an info horder as well as a tool whore.

it is a very nice piece.

Stunning thanks for sharing.

Do you have someone making the repro weapons as well?

On May 17, 2019 at 7:25 PM, plinkercases said:

Stunning thanks for sharing.

Do you have someone making the repro weapons as well?

There's guy here in Greece that makes them.  Last summer the group we work for gave me a bag of swords and I am steadily working through sheathes for them.

1 hour ago, immiketoo said:

There's guy here in Greece that makes them.  Last summer the group we work for gave me a bag of swords and I am steadily working through sheathes for them.

That would nice to see some of..... love that stuff.

On 5/11/2019 at 5:54 PM, bikermutt07 said:

No worries, like I said, I don't really need an armor pattern. Or even a set of armor, but I'm kind of an info horder as well as a tool whore.

:rofl: You are my hero for a day....

2 hours ago, DV8DUG said:

:rofl: You are my hero for a day....

Just love learning new stuff and gathering tools.