Hoffman

Making a double off billet

My trainer asked if I could make him some double off billets - like four of them. I was wondering how heavy the leather should be for these and the typical width and length. Weaver Sells one for around 40 bucks so I was wondering if it would even worth him paying me to do this. He doesn't make much but I'd still want to see decent quality leather. I only have a small table top lace and strap cutter and was wondering if this would be sufficient to cut them out. Any tips or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks all!

I'm going to speak sternly because this can be riskier than you know, but please do not take it personally.  I do not know you or your background.

I would not suggest making these, or any leather product that is attached to a large and powerful animal unless you are sure you know what you are doing, and have insurance in place that will protect you if the part fails and someone gets hurt.  The person who was hurt (who may not be someone who knows you or would look out for you)--or their family--will want to know who to sue. They will scrutinize whether you used the right type and weight of leather, cut in the right direction from the right part of the hide, or if there was *any* deficiency in the materials or process that could have led to a premature failure. 

If you were to assume that you were the one on the animal when/if the part failed, and were on crutches or worse, and you came to find out that someone else with your current level of experience and know-how made this item, imagine your feelings on the matter.  Any money you trainer saved would not have been worth it.

Sorry to have to say all this, because I sense you want to help this person out of the goodness of your heart, but I would suggest finding something else you can make, perhaps as a gift.