ultimind

335 Clone Hook Replacement

I picked up a Yamata FY335A cylinder arm and was surprised that the bobbins are ever so slightly smaller than the standard G size that I am used to working with on my Singer machines. My question is whether this type of machine can have a (slightly) larger hook and bobbin basket/bobbin case assembly to take standard G-size bobbins? I've seen some anecdotal evidence of some aftermarket larger bobbin case/basket assemblies on YouTube but haven't found any parts that state this can be done explicitly. Thx!

sounds like the old hook and bobbin that used to be in the Pfaff335 before they came out with the 335-G which has the larger bobbin.  Hockey mender and I have switched out the old hook for the larger G bobbin size hook with no problem.  Send us some pics of the hook and bobbin in the Yamata.

On 5/14/2019 at 5:14 AM, shoepatcher said:

sounds like the old hook and bobbin that used to be in the Pfaff335 before they came out with the 335-G which has the larger bobbin.  Hockey mender and I have switched out the old hook for the larger G bobbin size hook with no problem.  Send us some pics of the hook and bobbin in the Yamata.

Whoops! Sorry for the late reply. Missed seeing this. Here's the  hook and bobbin as it sits now. 

IMG_4384.jpg

IMG_4385.jpg

I need to see pics of  the bobbin case out of the machine and the bobbin out of the machine.

glenn

Here's the bobbin and bobbin case out of the machine. The machine works wonderfully but any increase in bobbin capacity would be welcomed.

001_IMG_4466.jpg

002_IMG_4467.jpg

003_IMG_4468.jpg

004_IMG_4469.jpg

005_IMG_4470.jpg

What's with the little "pigtail" spring on the case? Never seen that setup before.

That is a tail that the bobbin thread is supposed to go thru

Same "pigs tails" exist on the Bobbin cases of Singer 20U zig-zag..Controls the thread better when the needle is moving over a large needle oscillation amplitude, as in some walking foot cylinder arms with horizontal axis spinning (as opposed to oscillating ) bobbins, some or zig-zag machines with large "bight" capability.When you think about it, a needle feed is a zig-zag with the feed dogs parallel to the oscillation*..as a opposed to at 90° to it.

* Yes they also are moving up and down, but that would make the sentence too complex.. :)

They'll work if you don't feed the thread through that "pigs tail" in some cases..and in others they'll work better if you do..In some cases on zig-zag machines, certain stitches ( such as when sewing straight lines ) will recommend not passing the thread through the "pigs tail"..If you do the stitching will still work, but the stitches will be less straight..they'll look more like "the slant" that you get with hand sewing..This can be an advantage. depends on experimentation, and what you want the result to look like..

Btw..getting the bobbin rotation direction correct is important...more so than in many other types of machine bobbin holder systems.

Edited by mikesc

I think the 335-G hook will work in your machine.  Not positive.  We found the Cerliani hook to be the best price for generic hooks.  Hirose also makes great aftermarket hooks.  That is the route I would take.  Where are you located.  If in the states, I would contact Yamata in California and see if they can help with a part number and if the hooks are compatible with Pfaff.

12 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

I think the 335-G hook will work in your machine.  Not positive.  We found the Cerliani hook to be the best price for generic hooks.  Hirose also makes great aftermarket hooks.  That is the route I would take.  Where are you located.  If in the states, I would contact Yamata in California and see if they can help with a part number and if the hooks are compatible with Pfaff.

Thanks for the info! This gives me much more to go on. I am in Ohio. The Cerliani hook looks like what I've seen on YouTube for an aftermarket bobbin case. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQihrdtPIxE

Edited by ultimind

On 5/31/2019 at 10:08 PM, ultimind said:

Thanks for the info! This gives me much more to go on. I am in Ohio. The Cerliani hook looks like what I've seen on YouTube for an aftermarket bobbin case. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQihrdtPIxE

Ultimind, how did your larger bobbin hunt work out. I may be going down that same route. Thanks - Kent