wheeldawg

Music score lines

Hello folks.

I lurk here a lot and see all the awesome stuff you all make. I have been dabbling a bit at making a few things, purses, hats, fly boxes and stuff. I am currently working on a purse shaped like a guitar for a friend of mine, and want to stamp a music score along the strap for the purse. I have acquired and made the various music note and symbol stamps I need, but have not been able to come up with a good way to make a music score down the strap on which to stamp the notes. I would appreciate any advice on the matter. I am very much a novice and my stuff looks pretty rough, LOL, but that is where I am at.

I have attached a few pictures of the purse.

Thanks

gitpurse2.JPG

gitprse1.JPG

If the score lines are going to be parallel to the edge of the strap, use an edge groover, getting progressively wider for each line. If they are not going to be parallel to the edge, use a straight edge to mark the 1st line, then set out the distance between the lines with dividers and use the straight edge to connect the marks. Maybe practice on some scrap to make sure you get the effect you are aiming for.

Thanks for that information.

My thought was to make the whole score along the length of the strap, parallel to the edges.

Would I use the creaser function or the groover? I was looking at a U-tube for the Tandy Pro-Stitching Groover, and it showed how to use both, and was not sure how well the grooves would stay, long-term.

If I groove the leather, is there something I need to do to seal, or reseal the now rough groove, or will it just be OK as-is?

Thanks again for the reply.

On unsealed vegtan, a creased line will be fine IMHO. Just make sure your leather is cased adequately, so dampen the leather then the moisture is allowed to permeate the leather.  

A groover would also work, but its more of a permanent mark because it actually removes material to make the groove. I think creasing is more 'in tune' with what you have done so far.

Edited by Rockoboy

Thanks. That is what I ended up doing. I bought a Tandy groover/creaser, and tried those, but ended up using a smooth tracing wheel (like a tiny pizza cutter) with a straight edge and it worked great. The Tandy creaser scratched the leather more than I wanted.  I dampened the leather too like you mentioned. My "music" looks a little rough, but as one of my friends said, "it is a note-worthy effort" LOL.