Silverd

Clicker pressing. laser cutting, production work

Hi

I'm looking to have production quantities of a simple pattern die stamped or laser cut.   Start-up qty would run 500 pcs.  This is ether a clicker press or laser job.   I have not made a clicker die at this point.   Leather for the project is 10-12 oz HO bridle in three finishes.  There are additional operations also needed.  Some stitching, edge finishing, possible decorative stamping, hardware installation and packaging.   Contact me if you are interested in subcontracting this type of work for me.

Thanks!

Silverd

Don

805-701-3990

5 hours ago, Silverd said:

Hi

I'm looking to have production quantities of a simple pattern die stamped or laser cut.   Start-up qty would run 500 pcs.  This is ether a clicker press or laser job.   I have not made a clicker die at this point.   Leather for the project is 10-12 oz HO bridle in three finishes.  There are additional operations also needed.  Some stitching, edge finishing, possible decorative stamping, hardware installation and packaging.   Contact me if you are interested in subcontracting this type of work for me.

Thanks!

Silverd

Don

805-701-3990

Hey Don, I am most likely out due to freight costs etc but a clicker press for that many pieces is almost certainly the better way to go. Not having any idea of the complexity of the shape and the size it is hard to be sure but would it fit into 17"x 17"  or 13"x17"? Most clicking presses that people have will be limited to around these sizes but there are a lot larger ones than that,that fewer people will have. Lasers also will have size limitations. A simple die or knife can often be made for less than $200 and that works out well over 500 pieces and generally the cutting time is less than a minute each. If you would like some more feedback a picture of the product would help but, you could pm me if you don't want to show it as yet.

Great information.  The product size is compatible with the smaller press dims you presented.  My partner is concerned with publishing images at this time unfortunately.  I'm respectful of his reluctance at this time but will take up supplier vetting once we have resolve.

Silverd

17 hours ago, Silverd said:

Great information.  The product size is compatible with the smaller press dims you presented.  My partner is concerned with publishing images at this time unfortunately.  I'm respectful of his reluctance at this time but will take up supplier vetting once we have resolve.

Silverd

I was just thinking that this post should be in the "help wanted" section. The "services" section is more for people offering services I think. You could repost it there as well or ask a mod to move it there. The smaller size press opens the door for a lot more people. From the material you mentioned and having checked your profile I am guessing that this is saddlery/horse related and that the quality required is to be a high standard. Press knife cutting does a nice job of rounding in the edges on this material compared to a laser and would be looking in that area. 95% of the work we do is not what you see on my website as it is mostly for other brand names big and small. I would consider contacting companies whose work you think is good and see what they can offer. Get a confidentiality agreement signed first if you are really worried. Google has plenty of versions. Best of luck. 

Brian

Im certainly listening to your advise.  Excellent common sensical feedback.  I thank you.  We will be advancing the product into the market but as you suggest, we need to pull our act together with finalizing our previsional patent application and non disclosure documentation.  I've had a few supplier responses to my original inquiry through leatherworker.net that appear promising and will take up with them again once our afares are in order.

Silverd

21 hours ago, nstarleather said:

I have to agree with Rocky here that a clicker die is your best bet by far...though depending on the shape $200 might not completely cover the cost for a heavy duty cutting die (I wouldn't recommend anything less than a forged die for cutting 10-12oz bridle long term).

You could be right there depending on the overall size but I have found that if you tripoli polish the knives occasionally you can get away with the 19mm(3/4") for quite a few years. 10 to 12oz is only about 4to 5mm and I have knives that do that no problem. I don't generally do any saddlery type work but if its croc in Australia it often ends up in front of me. This first picture shows some prototypes I designed for a customer that wanted them for some campdraft prizes. They are a brow band, a couple of different spur straps and a single slobber strap all in imitation croc at this stage.Most of these are in the 12 to14oz range.

DSC01278_resize.JPG

DSC01296_resize.JPG

DSC01307_resize.JPG

When it came to the real croc stage the customer wanted a more simplified look :unsure: as shown here

DSC03640_resize.JPG

DSC03643_resize.JPG

DSC03635_resize.JPG

Such impressive work.  Absolutely beautiful.  

Silverd

1 hour ago, Silverd said:

Such impressive work.  Absolutely beautiful.  

Silverd

Thank you. These are what motivated me to get a 441 style cylinder machine. All the above was done at the time on a little 335 phaff cylinder machine.

Well your work is exceptional.  I picked up a Landis 16 recently, have a 441, a Claes 30 and a little Singer MK2.  The 441 is the most versatile by far.

Silverd