Historicalbeltworks

Round knife cutting mat.

Hi people, a question for you all.  Most of the cuts I have done over the course of the last several years has been a combination of various cutting implements. Recently I’ve become much more proficient using a round knife, and it has now become my cutting instrument of choice. However the cutting mat that I currently have, puts an undue amount of drag on the knife edge.   The mat that I am using is a 3‘ x 6‘ rolling knife mat that I picked up at Joanne fabrics a couple years ago.   I think it is just too soft for use with the round knife. What do you guys use for ease of blade flow as it rides on the surface while cutting your leather?  Thanks for the help.

I use a cutting mat from Joann fabric - they are pretty inexpensive and don’t gouge easily.  In the sewing section.

Gary

Its WAY too soft and you risk damaging your knife.  You need a sheet of HDPE or UHMW plastic like they use in professional kitchens.  You'll be amazed at the difference you feel.  You can get a small piece from Woodcraft or you can do a search for restaurant supply in your area.

And, if you have a really sharp knife you can cut right through those mats.  They aren't suitable for round knives.  

Yeah that’s what I was thinking because I’m cutting the crap out of mine.   I have both a restaurant supply near me as well as a plastic company.  I’ll check them.   Thanks 

I’ll have to look into this as well, even though I haven’t been cutting through mine.  I tend to make several lighter cuts rather than one deep cut - maybe that’s why I haven’t been having any issues?

Gary

I use MDF works great,  just remember its a cutting board - once you have used it, will get cut up so don't do any other work on it because it will scratch your work-  its cheap too, got mine from a DIY shop just off cuts they gave them for free. 

Hope this helps

JCUK

24 minutes ago, jcuk said:

I use MDF works great,  just remember its a cutting board - once you have used it, will get cut up so don't do any other work on it because it will scratch your work-  its cheap too, got mine from a DIY shop just off cuts they gave them for free. 

Hope this helps

JCUK

It doesn't dull your blades?

I use some cast offs from a conveyor belt. The one I have now is 1/4th inch thick I got it for free from a company that repairs them. The last one lasted years and wasn't this thick. I'm new to a round knife, been using it maybe 2 years.

No not at all,  its what we used when training with a master saddler - there no real drag all, i don't sharpen my knives much just a good strop before and after work.

Like you i also own a knipschield knife Texas Rosebud had it 2.5 years never seen a stone, also own a Osborne round knife not the greatest but once i got it sharp strop and go may have to sharpen every now again also have a unbranded single head knife which i got when i finished my first course 25 years ago same with that one to cost £13 quid great little knife. 

Hope this helps

JCUK  

Edited by jcuk

Thanks, I'm moving over to MDF. 

No worries as i said just remember only use it for a cutting board only it will scratch your work once worn.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Regarding those hobby cutting mats that you can buy - Aldi have some A4 mats at a good price so I bought four with the intention of gluing them to a board to create a large square mat. To do this I had to cut off one end of each mat to square it up. I figured a few passes with a sharp knife should do it. Nope. The knife was hard work and required sharpening as I went, a round blade craft knife was no better and I ended up using a fine tooth blade in a Dremel to cut through!!

The mat is not particularly thick and consists of the outer layers and a thicker inner layer between. I don't know what the inner layer is made of but it's tough!

2 hours ago, dikman said:

Regarding those hobby cutting mats that you can buy - Aldi have some A4 mats at a good price so I bought four with the intention of gluing them to a board to create a large square mat. To do this I had to cut off one end of each mat to square it up. I figured a few passes with a sharp knife should do it. Nope. The knife was hard work and required sharpening as I went, a round blade craft knife was no better and I ended up using a fine tooth blade in a Dremel to cut through!!

The mat is not particularly thick and consists of the outer layers and a thicker inner layer between. I don't know what the inner layer is made of but it's tough!

I bet a big paper chopper would have come in handy.

Unfortunately my son-in-law has my router (along with a few other tools :rolleyes2:).