JC2019

How long did it take you to buy a sewing machine? And a press?

1) I am just starting to research sewing machines. Eventually I want to work on larger projects but I believe I can do without a sewing machine while I'm just getting started and learning. I'm curious how long had you had been working with leather before you guys got one? Which one did you buy and why? Are you happy with it?

2) One thing I'll probably get soon is this press I've seen recommended in the ten leather lessons blog:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0NFWW4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I would like to press letters and maybe use it to cut wallet shapes, but primarily to not make any noise when punching stitching holes.  I don't know if this is what I need and what other parts I need to buy so I'll have to do a ton of research but I've read it can do the stitching holes with certain pricking irons.

Thanks

Edited by JC2019

An answer to your first question, I'd been doing leather work for many years before I decided on buying a  sewing machine, to help speed up the process, and  because my ' hobby'  turned into a registered business.   But the process of choosing a machine  took months before I finally decided on a machine that  suited my needs . The machine I  bought was the one pictured. Its a ' Q Stitch  Colt' , from Queensland, Australia , a  Juki clone , very powerful, sews everything I want it to. I chose it because it can sew a multitude of materials , leather,  canvas, webbing etc. ,  with the right dogs and feet, but leather mostly.  And yes, I'm very happy with it.  For business /  taxation purposes ( Australia) I declared it as an asset , depreciation etc. 

But like myself,  most leather workers have more than one machine for different applications  . I have 4  machines. Some have more. 

As for your second question, cutting stuff out , pricking irons etc. I do all that by hand, including hand stitching.  No presses :) , just me . No noise, ......except when I injure myself , ha ha  :) :) 

HS 

Sewing Machine 'Brutus' .jpg

8 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

An answer to your first question, I'd been doing leather work for many years before I decided on buying a  sewing machine, to help speed up the process, and  because my ' hobby'  turned into a registered business.   But the process of choosing a machine  took months before I finally decided on a machine that  suited my needs . The machine I  bought was the one pictured. Its a ' Q Stitch  Colt' , from Queensland, Australia , a  Juki clone , very powerful, sews everything I want it to. I chose it because it can sew a multitude of materials , leather,  canvas, webbing etc. ,  with the right dogs and feet, but leather mostly.  And yes, I'm very happy with it.  For business /  taxation purposes ( Australia) I declared it as an asset , depreciation etc. 

But like myself,  most leather workers have more than one machine for different applications  . I have 4  machines. Some have more. 

As for your second question, cutting stuff out , pricking irons etc. I do all that by hand, including hand stitching.  No presses :) , just me . No noise, ......except when I injure myself , ha ha  :) :) 

HS 

Sewing Machine 'Brutus' .jpg

Interesting. How do you do it by hand without noise? I have a pricking iron set but that requires noise or the press?  I am doing everything with an awl right now to avoid noise for the neighbors just in case.

I see, will bees to investigate machines much later then, I will read up on the forum here. So far I found a Cowboy brand and another Techsew. I see the name Juki all over but havent researched their machines yet

Juki 441 is what the big ones are clones of / based on..they are a lot more expensive than their clones..Want to avoid noise when sewing with a machine..you'll need a servo motor or a treadle..there'll still be a little noise.

13 hours ago, JC2019 said:

1) I am just starting to research sewing machines. Eventually I want to work on larger projects but I believe I can do without a sewing machine while I'm just getting started and learning. I'm curious how long had you had been working with leather before you guys got one? Which one did you buy and why? Are you happy with it?

2) One thing I'll probably get soon is this press I've seen recommended in the ten leather lessons blog:

1. 18 years. I only got one to meet a customer's requirements. That job has been on hold for a few years now so I've not yet used the s/m. Now I've ended up with 5 of the durned things!

2. Press; 17 years. Only got one for to be quiet. I live in a ground floor flat [apartment] Up to then I could hammer stamp during the day whilst neighbours were at work but a change means they're more at home during the day and don't like my hammering

I bought a Sewing machine and press the first month that I decided to do leather work.

3 hours ago, klutes said:

I bought a Sewing machine and press the first month that I decided to do leather work.

What did you buy and would you do the same today? What made you go all in so early?

about 4 years for the used Adler 67 sewing machine, 6 years for the Chinese patcher

bought the 1T arbor press in the first year but I only use it for 3D stamps. I've been living in a house for 4 years so no worries about my neighbors

2 minutes ago, Halitech said:

about 4 years for the used Adler 67 sewing machine, 6 years for the Chinese patcher

bought the 1T arbor press in the first year but I only use it for 3D stamps. I've been living in a house for 4 years so no worries about my neighbors

Excuse my ignorance. What are 3d stamps and where can I buy some? Or are they 3d printed?

2 minutes ago, JC2019 said:

Excuse my ignorance. What are 3d stamps and where can I buy some? Or are they 3d printed?

https://www.tandyleather.ca/en/category/3-d-leather-stamps

You can also have them printed on a 3D printer or some people make them on Delrin rods with CNC machines

1 minute ago, Halitech said:

https://www.tandyleather.ca/en/category/3-d-leather-stamps

You can also have them printed on a 3D printer or some people make them on Delrin rods with CNC machines

Nice thank you! Do you know if they sell these in "fonts"? So I can stamp letters

12 minutes ago, JC2019 said:

Nice thank you! Do you know if they sell these in "fonts"? So I can stamp letters

Yes, they sell sets of letter stamps. They range from about 3/8 inches high to about 1 inch high. They are mostly upper case letters [capitals] but sometimes they do matching lower case letters. The range and availability comes and goes. eg. I got a set of upper case letters from Tandy but the lower case had been long discontinued - I found a set in a US dealer's old stock

heres an example; https://www.tandyleather.eu/en/product/craftool-standard-alphabet-sets

51 minutes ago, JC2019 said:

What did you buy and would you do the same today? What made you go all in so early?

I knew from the get go I had no interest in hand sewing. Did all of that that I wanted years ago when I was in reenacting. 

Bought a CB3200 first. Now have a Adler 69 and a Adler 30-7. 

54 minutes ago, JC2019 said:

I knew from the get go I had no interest in hand sewing. Did all of that that I wanted years ago when I was in reenacting. 

3 hours ago, klutes said:

What get you get a press and which kind did you get. Still researching those, I think I will start small and simple

8 hours ago, JC2019 said:

What get you get a press and which kind did you get. Still researching those, I think I will start small and simple

I have a one ton press that I use to punch holes in my belts. I use wood spacers for each size belt to ensure the holes are centered. I have three old Stimpson rivet,snap presses that I picked up off of eBay. Solid cast iron wonderful press. I have each set up for a particular rivet or snap task. I made or modified the tooling for each.  I also have a old 5-10 ton not sure which arbor press that I may set up for small cricket press. 

7F948DB2-9E68-48A7-A743-81A7FA336EEC.jpeg.539d497fa79fbfb0711c56f9ce2a53db.jpegF97F40F7-FADD-4F02-B8B9-077DFDCC442C.jpeg.cf21f8389f71ad8e9653aba5a6b4789f.jpegF97F40F7-FADD-4F02-B8B9-077DFDCC442C.jpeg.cf21f8389f71ad8e9653aba5a6b4789f.jpeg5D0E7352-3C5A-4353-8921-3177F59F10E2.jpeg.6616da5de20a50c152af6b8efd8c58f1.jpeg

Edited by klutes

I ended up buying the one that Harbor Freight sells. It works ok for stamping, but not really for die cutting. I found a good deal on a techSew on Craig's list. It looks much the the Co;t in the above picture. It sews really well up to 1/2 inch leather.