Hi all. I purchased a Techsew 3650 back in January and it has never functioned properly. No matter what I do, it either skips stitches or the thread bunches up on the bottom. Yesterday I was trying to sew a piece and a part fell off the back of the machine and the bobbin fell out. I’ve tried calling Techsew, but all they did was tell me to adjust the tension (even though I said I’ve fiddled with the tension nonstop since I bought it). The “manual” is literally just a few brief pages with less than helpful diagrams.  I’m definitely at my wit’s end with it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this thing adjusted properly? I really hope I don’t have a $1500 boat anchor...

If possible it would be helpful if you could post a couple of pictures of the part that fell off and your thread path or a link to a video. That way someone my be able to give you some ideas as to what is going on with your new machine.

kgg

Find a sewing machine mechanic in your area they should be able to help..

I have the same machine. Any problems I have had have been of my own making.  Make sure that you are using the right size needle for the thread you are using. I was using 277 on a holster and was using the 160 needle as listed in the chart I have, and having the same type of problem. Changed to a 200 needle, and the problems went away.  Love my machine.

2 hours ago, BattleAx said:

Find a sewing machine mechanic in your area they should be able to help..

Battleax I think is onto something. Not only will the mechanic be able to help get it running correctly but to give the machine a good go over to determine if there are any other issues.

kgg

Just now, kgg said:

Battleax I think is onto something. Not only will the mechanic be able to help get it running correctly but to give the machine a good go over to determine if there are any other issues.

kgg

I understand. Just hate to drop more money on a brand new machine and was hoping someone had a suggestion. I’ll double check the needle as suggested by kgg. 

http://www.techsew.com/techsew-3650hd-heavy-leather-industrial-sewing-machine.html
That page indicates that it was delivered "sewn off"..could it be that your "fiddling around" with it, has resulted in it not sewing correctly and in parts falling off / out ?

That page also says that you can call them free at any time for tech support and advice..for a machine that is only 4 months old, that is what I'd do ( if I had no experience ( which is what it sounds like to be your case ) with industrial machines )..Battleax's suggestion is a good one , paying a mechanic for a couple of hours of their time to sit with you will be worth your while, you'll then know what to ask / say if you need to phone techsew again at any time in the future..I'd hate to try to diagnose what someone had done if they told me over the phone that they had "fiddled around with the tension"..That kind of description is a tech support nightmare to deal with over the phone or even face to face, be it sewing machines or computers or anything else..

Just hate to drop more money on a brand new machine

Unless you've irredeemably broken something horribly expensive while "fiddling" there's no reason why the machine would now be a "boat anchor"..so no reason for you to have to buy another..it is still under the one year guarantee from techsew..but any parts that you may have broken , obviously will not be covered by that..

Edited by mikesc

1 hour ago, mikesc said:

http://www.techsew.com/techsew-3650hd-heavy-leather-industrial-sewing-machine.html
That page indicates that it was delivered "sewn off"..could it be that your "fiddling around" with it, has resulted in it not sewing correctly and in parts falling off / out ?

That page also says that you can call them free at any time for tech support and advice..for a machine that is only 4 months old, that is what I'd do ( if I had no experience ( which is what it sounds like to be your case ) with industrial machines )..Battleax's suggestion is a good one , paying a mechanic for a couple of hours of their time to sit with you will be worth your while, you'll then know what to ask / say if you need to phone techsew again at any time in the future..I'd hate to try to diagnose what someone had done if they told me over the phone that they had "fiddled around with the tension"..That kind of description is a tech support nightmare to deal with over the phone or even face to face, be it sewing machines or computers or anything else..

Unless you've irredeemably broken something horribly expensive while "fiddling" there's no reason why the machine would now be a "boat anchor"..so no reason for you to have to buy another..it is still under the one year guarantee from techsew..but any parts that you may have broken , obviously will not be covered by that..

No, the fiddling started when I couldn’t get the machine to sew properly from the moment it arrived. It arrived skipping stitches and not pulling the bottom thread into the piece. I called Techsew and they said to adjust the tension, which I have done countless times. I called again and got the same advice. I’ve been trying to get it to work for 5 months with no luck. I didn’t know if someone had a similar issue and could say, “yeah, all you need to do is...”

In all fairness to Techsew, there was minor damage in transit and they took care of that issue with no problems. I’ll just give them another call and see what we can figure out. 

Thanks for all of the replies!

16 minutes ago, DrFreefoot said:

No, the fiddling started when I couldn’t get the machine to sew properly from the moment it arrived. It arrived skipping stitches and not pulling the bottom thread into the piece. I called Techsew and they said to adjust the tension, which I have done countless times. I called again and got the same advice. I’ve been trying to get it to work for 5 months with no luck. I didn’t know if someone had a similar issue and could say, “yeah, all you need to do is...”

It's difficult for someone to recognise a problem with no provided photos or description beyond "it don't work". Your machine is a clone of the Singer 45K, there's really not a lot to go wrong. A lot of us here have used 45Ks and their various clones so I'm sure we can get it sorted... if you provide more information.

Having said that if the bobbin falls out of a 45K the operator probably hasn't clipped the bobbin case in properly. The spring clip is pretty stiff and can feel like it's home even when it's not. I've made that mistake myself and it's not fun chasing the thing downhill.

If you've replaced the bobbin, did you pull the bobbin thread in underneath the bobbin tension spring? That could cause tension issues, which can cause thread to bunch up. Again been there, done that.

Also, if you've been fiddling trying to solve tension issues... was the bit that fell off the back the thread tension discs?